Continually boiling water

LHC's social forum for all topics not hermit crab-related. Get to know your fellow LHC members here!

Topic author
Keg

Post by Keg » Tue Jun 17, 2014 3:16 am

Update.I replaced the element in the humidifier for about 11 dollars, I think. The way it seems to work is that this element acts like a wick, and it draws water out of a reservoir and then the fan blows the evaporating water it out into the room. The element basically adds a large surface area to the water (I haven't looked it up yet).After about three months, the element clogs. It gums up with the same stuff that coated the pan when I was boiling water continuously before I got the humidifier. I didn't think there would be so much residue in spring water.Anyway... I've never before in my entire career of living in Arizona had so much humidity to breath and this is costing at least six bottles of spring water per day. That probably works out to about $600 more a year to keep my crab alive.***Another environmental issue. One of the air conditioners stopped working in a rental unit I maintain. So I bought a window mounted A/C unit to keep the tenant alive while I fixed it. So now I have a little backup unit. I might even hook it up if the outside temperature goes over 110. Normally I would happily suffer, but I have two spirits of nature to be responsible for.

jenok

Post by jenok » Wed Jun 18, 2014 10:39 am

Is there a specific reason you're using bottled water?

Topic author
Keg

Post by Keg » Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:25 am

quote:Originally posted by jenok:Is there a specific reason you're using bottled water? I assume if I boil tap water it will release the chlorine into the room air.

Crabber85

Post by Crabber85 » Tue Jul 01, 2014 8:16 am

@Keg, chlorine has this nice little habit of off gassing when it gets hot so your assumption would be correct though it would take quite a bit of boiled tap water to release enough chlorine gas for it to matter. Chlorine gas from tap water off gassing would be in a concentration range of PPM or parts per million per cubit foot of air space in your house if memory serves so it would take quite a while of continually boiling tap water to build up enough of a concentration of the gas in the air for it to effect the crabs.
Hi I have autism so I tend to answer questions very directly and with little emotion so please don't think I'm being rude.
#Autism Speaks.

jenok

Post by jenok » Thu Jul 03, 2014 7:58 am

What about if you just used a dechlorinator in the water instead of bottled water if your that worried about it. OR if your boiling several pots a day my some bottled and some not.

Topic author
Keg

Post by Keg » Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:43 pm

You're probably right about small amounts of chlorine.My technology was at the level of boiling water a few months ago, and I have since progressed to an actual humidifier.But maybe this would be a good time to do an experiment; How much residue is in tap water vs spring. This is relevant to crabbing since the humidifier "wick" has the same problem as my pot - It gets gummed up with residue. The humidifier performance degrades after a couple of months and this can get expensive after awhile.I'm pretty sure bottled water has less minerals in it, though that ill get ludicrously expensive, Not that Azazul isn't worth it. She tries to be a good pet.Offhand though, If I was my crab, I would much rather be breathing arrowhead spring water that the tap water they serve in the desert.

Topic author
Keg

Post by Keg » Thu Sep 11, 2014 5:03 am

Update.I've had the humidifier about 9 1/2 months now. It's been running continuously. It works fine, there is no change at all in function.However, I see mold accumulating on the fan. It doesn't look serviceable since the fan is in a cage. Since I can't wipe it off, this may indicate the lifespan of this device.There is a possibility I can blast it off with a high pressure spray. But I'm not sure that will damage the fan's electrical parts.

Geranium

Post by Geranium » Thu Sep 11, 2014 7:08 am

Maybe try using a Q-tip to clean with?

Topic author
Keg

Post by Keg » Thu Sep 11, 2014 8:39 am

Thanks Geranium, I'll try that tonight... but offhand it looks like a lot of irregular surfaces in there.

Topic author
Keg

Post by Keg » Sat Oct 04, 2014 10:00 am

I blasted the mold off my humidifier under the sink. That removed it pretty well. I'll keep doing that every month or so to extend the life of the device.Next, I suspect there may be a less expensive way to replace the element. It cost $8 and it lasts maybe three months. It's the same thing that goes i swamp coolers. There must be raw material for sale somewhere.