Check out this book!

For topics relating to crab care that do not fit into the other categories.

Topic author
Skymall007

Check out this book!

Post by Skymall007 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:47 am

https://www.amazon.com/Reproductive-Bio ... 1578085292

Thought this was cool. Maybe there is hermit info in there! :crabbigsmile:
2Es- Sputnikt+Strangeship 1PP- Bluebug
RIP Spatula, HerbitHermenBatSquash, Kiwi, Flour, and Friendlyfeat, Mi6, Grape, Umo, and Upsidedown

HeyItsEggs

Re: Check out this book!

Post by HeyItsEggs » Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:41 am

That is very expensive!!!

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
Sophia aka "Eggs"
Four PPs, Rio, Rolo, Curlz and Malibu in a 40 gallon
May they rest in peace- Mango- 1/13/17 and Stefanio- 1/10/17

Topic author
Skymall007

Post by Skymall007 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:49 pm

HeyItsEggs wrote:That is very expensive!!!

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

I know =( I saw it and thought "must have!" then I saw the price lolz
2Es- Sputnikt+Strangeship 1PP- Bluebug
RIP Spatula, HerbitHermenBatSquash, Kiwi, Flour, and Friendlyfeat, Mi6, Grape, Umo, and Upsidedown

EPAS

Post by EPAS » Sat Apr 22, 2017 1:29 pm

Check with your local library and see if they have the book. Then you can read it and determine if it's worth the price.

RebsCritters

Post by RebsCritters » Sun Apr 23, 2017 1:33 pm

Not sure if this is the case for all libraries, but our public library participates in Inter Library Loans and will receive books from other participating libraries, including those of universities, near and far. I've received a few great books in this way.
You may not know this but some universities also allow the public to use their library after applying for a guest ID. Cornell happens to have this book from your link, which is great because I live nearby :)
Haven't checked the forums yet but it might be useful to have an ongoing list of relevant scientific books/articles/studies on hermit crabs, or even crustacea in general.
Anybody into the idea of a book club? Lol

EOD-Crab

Post by EOD-Crab » Sun Apr 23, 2017 3:26 pm

From the price I would say it's a college textbook. If that is required for the course they can bump the price pretty high. However once students pass they sell it used.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LadyJinglyJones

Post by LadyJinglyJones » Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:30 pm

I would recommend books more crab-centric, which will cover brachyurans (crab-shaped crabs) & anomurans (the group hermits belong to).

Crustacean is a broad category, and while some things hold true generally for most of the critters in the huuuuge group, if your focus is coenobitids, the general info will still be included in a more specificly crab book.

This is an excellent place to start and can be found on Google & easily downloaded for free. It is is not a book, rather a scientific thesis paper. It is very edifying.

Please be warned though, there are some potentially upsetting experiments described in dry detail. If that is not your bag, steer well clear of this publication:

STUDIES ON THE FAUNA OF CURAÇAO AND OTHER
CARIBBEAN ISLANDS: No. 144.
On the ecology of Coenobita clypeatus in Curaçao with reference to reproduction, water economy
and osmoregulation in terrestrial hermit crabs

by P. A. W. De Wilde

As for books, look for these In your library system or on sites selling cheap used books:

The Biology of Crabs, by G.F. Warner, (1977)
-Good beginning

Biology of the Land Crab, by W.E. Burggren and B.R. McMahon
"Gaze upon the rolling deep..."
Quince the fat tailed gecko; Amazonian minnows; and now Harry & Luis, Bede & Aster, Chandra & Jace, Pax, & Piccolo, my adopted PPs.
RIP Vegita :(

LadyJinglyJones

Post by LadyJinglyJones » Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:46 pm

@RebsCritters
Re: book club...

I'm in the (drawn out) process of creating a spreadsheet of relevant literature. If you are looking into a particular topic, PM me & I can either send the most recent version of the Excel file, or suggest titles (usually articles from sci journals) and how you can legally lay hands on them.

There are presently over 140 articles or chapters in my collection, so an interesting variety exists.

Also, Mark Briffa is a biologist who has produced many behavioral studies of marine hermits which are very neat.
Google "Mark Briffa, pagurid, agression" and some fun stuff comes up. Look for links to Royal Society Publishing, B. Those articles tend to be freely accessible.

:crabbigsmile:
Quince the fat tailed gecko; Amazonian minnows; and now Harry & Luis, Bede & Aster, Chandra & Jace, Pax, & Piccolo, my adopted PPs.

RebsCritters

Post by RebsCritters » Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:37 pm

LadyJinglyJones wrote:
STUDIES ON THE FAUNA OF CURAÇAO AND OTHER
CARIBBEAN ISLANDS: No. 144.
On the ecology of Coenobita clypeatus in Curaçao with reference to reproduction, water economy
and osmoregulation in terrestrial hermit crabs

by P. A. W. De Wilde
I actually happen to be reading this one already :) along with:
THE NATURAL HISTORY OF THE CRUSTACEA Vol. 1; Functional Morphology & Diversity by Watling/Thiel
Both of which I had to get through the library's​ loan system because our public library doesn't seem to know crabs of any kind exist lol..
LadyJinglyJones wrote:@RebsCritters
Re: book club...

I'm in the (drawn out) process of creating a spreadsheet of relevant literature. If you are looking into a particular topic, PM me & I can either send the most recent version of the Excel file, or suggest titles (usually articles from sci journals) and how you can legally lay hands on them.

There are presently over 140 articles or chapters in my collection, so an interesting variety exists.

Also, Mark Briffa is a biologist who has produced many behavioral studies of marine hermits which are very neat.
Google "Mark Briffa, pagurid, agression" and some fun stuff comes up. Look for links to Royal Society Publishing, B. Those articles tend to be freely accessible.

:crabbigsmile:
I will absolutely do this, thank you for the info and all the time you've taken to compile your list. Very interested to see what you've got! :)

soilentgringa

Post by soilentgringa » Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:30 pm

Do you have a DropBox @LadyJinglyJones or would you be willing to email a list of sources?

Everything I read last year was on my now destroyed laptop and inaccessible.

Sent from my LGMS550 using Tapatalk

LadyJinglyJones

Post by LadyJinglyJones » Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:41 am

RebsCritters wrote:
I actually happen to be reading this one already :) along with:
THE NATURAL HISTORY OF THE CRUSTACEA Vol. 1; Functional Morphology & Diversity by Watling/Thiel
Both of which I had to get through the library's​ loan system because our public library system doesn't seem to know crabs of any kind exist lol...
:laugh::

Oh jeez... I'm just imagining you walking up to a bespectacled steriotype of a librarian behind her desk and asking, "pardon me, but where is the biology section? I'm looking for material on crabs".
She then tilts her chin down to peer over her bifocals at you and perplexedly says, "what is a crab?"

So if you get done with those books & still want more, try to lay hands on a 9 vol. behemoth of a treatise on crustacea, which does skew slightly towards decapods.

The series is called The Biology of Crustacea , cheif editit or is Dorothea Bliss.

I got vols. 2 & 9 as a set at a criminally low price through a British seller on Abes Books.

I also borrowed vol. 5 from the library: "Internal Anatomy and Physiological Regulation".

Nine, "Integument, Pigments, and Hormonal Processes" has proven to be utterly fascinating. Five is great because once you've read some more general or basic material about crab anatomy, it goes into much more detail, filling in blanks and explicating systems with great specificity.

But I didn't understand much of either book until I'd read Warner's more basic Biology of the Crab.

:D :D :D