Coconut fiber mixed with some repti bark?

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author
KimzKrabs

Coconut fiber mixed with some repti bark?

Post by KimzKrabs » Wed Feb 26, 2020 9:19 am

Hi I have bought some coconut fiber and a bag of Zoo Med repti bark it’s 100% fir bark is it ok to mix some in with the coconut fiber for the substrate ? I was thinking a big layer of coconut fiber than a layer of the bark then more coconut fiber or I could just mix all together but using more coconut than bark in the mixture. Is this ok?

JoeHermits
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Coconut fiber mixed with some repti bark?

Post by JoeHermits » Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:29 am

Bark is difficult to burrow in, so I would use it sparingly, if at all. Layers of bark would not be advisable, but you can probably get away with it as a substrate amendment mixed in with the fiber if you really want to use it.

DevilNDisguise

Post by DevilNDisguise » Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:43 am

It isn't a neccesary type of substrate and as mentioned, can make it difficult for the crabs to burrow. It would be more of an appearance thing for us to look at, but not all that great for them.

You might be able to use some of it, maybe to sprinkle a little bit around the tank as decor, but I'd personally avoid it within the substrate.

Using coco fiber alone isn't unheard of, but most people use a coco fiber and playsand mixture.
1 Bearded Dragon, 1 Guinea Pig, 1 Mouse, 1 Lovebird, 1 Dog, 2 Cats, 2 Rabbits, 2 Frogs, 2 Cockatiels, 2 Budgies & Their 3 Babies, 3 Rats, 4 Hamsters, and Many Hermit Crabs!

Topic author
KimzKrabs

Post by KimzKrabs » Wed Feb 26, 2020 1:14 pm

Thank you so much! !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Wed Feb 26, 2020 6:42 pm

The fir type bedding will mold easily in very high humidity, and burying it in a mass of substrate ups the risk of bacterial blooms.

If you wanted to add a little texture, a small amount of coconut husk would work.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram