I cant get the humidity to rise in my tank :(

This is the place to post if you have questions and aren't sure where to ask them! If it relates to one of the sections below, please post there instead.

Topic author
Mariagouldsbury

I cant get the humidity to rise in my tank :(

Post by Mariagouldsbury » Sat Jul 25, 2020 8:24 pm

Im new to hermit crabs and just set up my tank a fee days ago. Its 80 degrees but 53% humidity :( what are some ways to help maintain humidity?

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Re: I cant get the humidity to rise in my tank :(

Post by aussieJJDude » Sat Jul 25, 2020 9:16 pm

What do you currently have as a lid? Do you use moss? Bubblers in the pools? Eco earth to create moisture?

Edit: http://hermitcrabassociation.com/phpBB/ ... hp?t=92544 this link may help and is worth a read if you haven't done so already. :)

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

Topic author
Mariagouldsbury

Post by Mariagouldsbury » Sun Jul 26, 2020 10:47 am

That did help thank you!! Its a screen top i have the heater on the side, moss, calcium sand/cocohusk substrate. Bowl of salt water, bowl of fresh water. I spritz everything. Just cant figure it out but i dont have a bubbler so maybe that will be my next investment. Who knew this would turn into an obsession :lol:

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Sun Jul 26, 2020 12:25 pm

Hahaha, it quickly becomes an obsession!

Calcium sand is not the correct type of sand, it can turn hard like cement when it gets wet. You want to get play sand, which is sold in big 50 pound bags for cheap at hardware stores. Mix it with the eco earth (coco fiber) with dechlorinated water. It should be three times deeper than your largest crab, or at least six inches, whichever is deeper.
Then cover up the screen lid. You can even wrap with with plastic wrap (Saran Wrap) to keep the humidity in.
Too much spraying can lead to flooding.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

Renroc

Post by Renroc » Thu Aug 06, 2020 1:28 am

Mariagouldsbury wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 10:47 am
That did help thank you!! Its a screen top i have the heater on the side, moss, calcium sand/cocohusk substrate. Bowl of salt water, bowl of fresh water. I spritz everything. Just cant figure it out but i dont have a bubbler so maybe that will be my next investment. Who knew this would turn into an obsession :lol:
Getting a solid lid or covering the mesh lid with saran wrap or similar is really the only way you will get humidity up.
Crazy crab lady with 1 male raised in captivity who is now 7 yrs old (Dec 23) and a 2 females I've added from rehoming or adoptions to add to my breeding colony.