Durbkat's DIY climbing toy

For presenting do-it-yourself projects for your crabitat and for discussing and displaying custom built crabitats. Also for questions and reviews on equipment and products. *Stores and their reviews now have their own section in Classifieds*

Topic author

Durbkat's DIY climbing toy

Post by Guest » Mon Jun 19, 2006 11:01 pm

I've previously made a ramp using a paper towel roll that was cut in half and propped it up with the extra paper towel roll. But with the humidty they became wet and would become soft and it moved when ever a crab crawled on it. So I went to home depot and got some plexi glass and cut it to where each ramp was 10" long and the prop is 3" tall. Then I put the prop in the middle and put each ramp on top of the prop and got some sealent made for bathrooms and sinks so that the ramp won't fall apart with the humidty and applied it to the part where to two ramps come together and under each part of the ramp where it touches the prop. Then after the sealent dried I took some sand paper and sanded it down to where it was ruff so that they will be able to get up it. I don't have pics so I'll make a illustration of what it looks using MS paint and will post it in a few minutes then once I get pics I'll post those as well.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Mon Jun 19, 2006 11:13 pm

Ok, here it is Image I know its alittle small but I wrote the measurements on it so thats what that writing is.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Mon Jun 19, 2006 11:17 pm

How very creative! Great job, and yes we'd like pics too. How do they like it?

Topic author

Post by Guest » Mon Jun 19, 2006 11:21 pm

Well it looks very similar to the illustration. I'm not sure how they like it because I'm going to let it set out for 24 hours to make sure it is complety dry.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Tue Jun 20, 2006 2:28 pm

I'm going to put it in the tat in a few hours so I'll let you know how they like it and if they are able to get up it.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Tue Jun 20, 2006 7:12 pm

I've got some good news. The single crab that is still above the sand loves the ramp! I put it in but wasn't sure he'd be able to get up it with it just being sanded down with sand paper so I put sand on it and the sand stays in place even when he walks on it and he keeps going on it over and over and over. So my product has past the customer approval so go ahead and make one for your tat I guarentee your crabs will LOVE it! :lol:

Topic author

Post by Guest » Wed Jun 21, 2006 2:10 pm

Thanks Durbkat! I hopped in the Crabitat Conditions forum to get some ideas for this very topic.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Wed Jun 21, 2006 2:13 pm

No problem, maybe one day my invention will become as popular as bundy's DIY humidfier. :P

Topic author

Post by Guest » Tue Jun 27, 2006 11:42 am

Well there is a flaw with it, I lifted it up because the crabs knocked alot of the sand off the ramp so I lifted it up to scoop that sand up to put it back on the ramp but the sealant that is on the top where the two ramps connect broke but the sealant that is under it that connects each ramp to the prop stayed connected. So BEWARE this ramp is very fragile and needs to be supported at the end of both ramps instead of in the middle.