UTH is is safe to use more than 1

Older topics that are in the process of being sorted and moved into the appropriate Archived sections below.

Topic author
charbeenie

UTH is is safe to use more than 1

Post by charbeenie » Wed Mar 30, 2016 8:24 pm

My tank is not getting past 80. I have a UTH for a 50g-60g. I have a 55 gallon tank. All my hermits stay on the opposite side of the tank where the heater is not. I don't want to take there cooler side away since they love it but I dont know what else I can do to raise the temps. I am thinking of getting a different thermostat so I can make sure it is truly 80 in there.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

mool

Re: UTH is is safe to use more than 1

Post by mool » Thu Mar 31, 2016 8:30 am

I have two of the largest size Repti Therm UTH's on my 55 gallon. I have them placed so that the gap of no heater coverage (5-6") is in the middle of the tank, where I've also placed my gauges.

The double UTH seems to be working. My heat is pretty constant at around 84-87 degrees, no matter the external temp. The crabs seem not to mind having even heat. I supposed if the hung out nearest the front glass which is farthest from the UTH's, I would have to rethink the situation and move one, but the crabs are all over the place...

marandashermies

Post by marandashermies » Thu Mar 31, 2016 8:38 am

charbeenie wrote:My tank is not getting past 80. I have a UTH for a 50g-60g. I have a 55 gallon tank. All my hermits stay on the opposite side of the tank where the heater is not. I don't want to take there cooler side away since they love it but I dont know what else I can do to raise the temps. I am thinking of getting a different thermostat so I can make sure it is truly 80 in there.

Do you have a UTH or a heat mat that you buy at the pet store, the sticky ones? Pet store heat mats don't work very well at all. I have them on my 55g right now and there are 3 of them and I am still having issues. If you do, I would try replacing it with a UTH from reptilebasics.com or beanfarm.com. If you have one from there, then adding an additional UTH would be fine, IMO.
{125g~56g~55g} {30 PPs~ 10 Straws~ 5 Ruggies~ 2 E's~ 4 Viola's~ 2 Cavipes~ 2 Indo's}
2 Handsome Kitties {Rolan & Luka}
http://s628.photobucket.com/user/marand ... t=3&page=1

Topic author
charbeenie

Post by charbeenie » Thu Mar 31, 2016 9:00 am

marandashermies wrote:
charbeenie wrote:My tank is not getting past 80. I have a UTH for a 50g-60g. I have a 55 gallon tank. All my hermits stay on the opposite side of the tank where the heater is not. I don't want to take there cooler side away since they love it but I dont know what else I can do to raise the temps. I am thinking of getting a different thermostat so I can make sure it is truly 80 in there.

Do you have a UTH or a heat mat that you buy at the pet store, the sticky ones? Pet store heat mats don't work very well at all. I have them on my 55g right now and there are 3 of them and I am still having issues. If you do, I would try replacing it with a UTH from reptilebasics.com or beanfarm.com. If you have one from there, then adding an additional UTH would be fine, IMO.
I got mine at Petco. I will look on the web sites you gave me and check it out. The one I got from Petco says UTH. Thank you!

mool

Post by mool » Thu Mar 31, 2016 1:56 pm

The one you got at PetCo is an UTH, it's just not the preferred brand. I use the cheaper ones all the time with great results, but I live in Texas.

Topic author
charbeenie

Post by charbeenie » Thu Mar 31, 2016 6:11 pm

mool wrote:The one you got at PetCo is an UTH, it's just not the preferred brand. I use the cheaper ones all the time with great results, but I live in Texas.
I live in Texas too... I am going to get the cheaper ones and out it on there. This other one does not work good at all!

marandashermies

Post by marandashermies » Fri Apr 01, 2016 9:59 am

I have had nothing but issues with mine that I purchased from PetsMart. Like I said, I have the entire backside covered on my 55g and temps are still not as high as I would like them. Glad they worked for someone though! I could kick myself for buying more and more of them, when I should have just bought a quality UTH. :banghead:
{125g~56g~55g} {30 PPs~ 10 Straws~ 5 Ruggies~ 2 E's~ 4 Viola's~ 2 Cavipes~ 2 Indo's}
2 Handsome Kitties {Rolan & Luka}
http://s628.photobucket.com/user/marand ... t=3&page=1

Topic author
charbeenie

Post by charbeenie » Wed May 11, 2016 7:38 pm

marandashermies wrote:I have had nothing but issues with mine that I purchased from PetsMart. Like I said, I have the entire backside covered on my 55g and temps are still not as high as I would like them. Glad they worked for someone though! I could kick myself for buying more and more of them, when I should have just bought a quality UTH. :banghead:
I only got it from Petco because I 50% off and had rewards coupons so I onpy paid 20 for it. I am going to one of the ones suggest here to see of it will help more!