Any Advice

Older topics that are in the process of being sorted and moved into the appropriate Archived sections below.

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Re: Any Advice

Post by wodesorel » Fri Apr 29, 2016 5:35 pm

Have you calibrated the hygrometer to make sure it's reading accurately? At 99% there's usually heavy condensation. Instructions on how to do that is here, it's easy and just needs to sit for a half day: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=92540
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Topic author
NLindsey921

Post by NLindsey921 » Fri Apr 29, 2016 5:53 pm

I do get a lot of condensation at night once the heat lamp turns off. But i will go ahead and do the test. I never did it originally and it can't hurt. One of my hygrometers though is stuck to the side of my tank so it is not possible to do the test with that one because it would mess up the sticky stuff.
5pps: Jimbo, Tiny, Mr Krabs, Felicia, Sebastian

Topic author
NLindsey921

Post by NLindsey921 » Fri Apr 29, 2016 6:04 pm

I have set up the test. Now. . . . . to wait.

Topic author
NLindsey921

Post by NLindsey921 » Fri Apr 29, 2016 10:36 pm

NLindsey921 wrote:I do get a lot of condensation at night once the heat lamp turns off. But i will go ahead and do the test. I never did it originally and it can't hurt. One of my hygrometers though is stuck to the side of my tank so it is not possible to do the test with that one because it would mess up the sticky stuff.
That one does seem to vary more however.

Topic author
NLindsey921

Post by NLindsey921 » Sat Apr 30, 2016 12:33 am

ok. after about 6 hours, hygrometer reads at 86% so yes my hygrometer reads 11% above normal making my humidity about 88%.

DragonsFly

Post by DragonsFly » Sat Apr 30, 2016 1:20 pm

Rawrgeous wrote:Well, I'm thinking I need to clean the glass extra well and try again, because some side is actually holding quite well, but the other isn't. So, maybe with a good wipedown and dry it'll work this time.

Sent from my VS415PP using Tapatalk
I had some good luck for awhile with the "locking" kind of suction cups; but eventually I went to just hanging everything with zip-tie chains, it was more reliable.

I will echo the others' concern that the crabs are overcrowded, and this may lead to an array of problems. If you can't fix that now, you can't, but do plan for a MUCH bigger tank as soon as possible, make sure they have LOTS of appropriately sized (and typed) shells, feed lots of good sources of protein and chitin, and definitely don't add any more crabs. If it is going to be a long time before you can upgrade, you might look at adopting some of them out. Best wishes!
--{}: Dragons Fly Farm --{}:
Resident PP's:"Major Tom" & "Billie Jean"

“An adventure is only an inconvenience rightly considered. An inconvenience is only an adventure wrongly considered.”
― G.K. Chesterton

Topic author
NLindsey921

Post by NLindsey921 » Sat Apr 30, 2016 6:48 pm

I plan on moving out of my mother in law's house as soon as possible. Once I do, I will upgrade to at least a forty, probably larger. I feed them protein everyday and calcium and other items as well. I have a whole array of stuff from thehermitcrabpatch.com

DragonsFly

Post by DragonsFly » Sat Apr 30, 2016 8:15 pm

NLindsey921 wrote:I do get a lot of condensation at night once the heat lamp turns off. But i will go ahead and do the test. I never did it originally and it can't hurt. One of my hygrometers though is stuck to the side of my tank so it is not possible to do the test with that one because it would mess up the sticky stuff.
I recommend sticking your "sticky" gauges onto chopsticks or popsicle sticks (or bamboo skewers--you can just stick them up through the sticky bit, then stand the stick in your substrate). This allows you to move them anywhere in the tank to get readings of how conditions vary, and also to take them out to recalibrate more easily. Further, I don't think that the readings that you get right on the glass of the tank side are most accurate. For temperature, the glass can conduct heat, so you are likely to be getting a reading that is at least somewhat a mixture of the tank temp and the outside temp. For humidity, water vapor often condenses on the glass, so I would expect the levels to be a little artificially too high there. If you are getting readings from around the tank where the crabs actually hang out, those are likely to be more helpful.
--{}: Dragons Fly Farm --{}:
Resident PP's:"Major Tom" & "Billie Jean"

“An adventure is only an inconvenience rightly considered. An inconvenience is only an adventure wrongly considered.”
― G.K. Chesterton

Topic author
NLindsey921

Post by NLindsey921 » Sat Apr 30, 2016 8:58 pm

Hmmmm. I'll consider that and see if I can get it off of the side of the tank.

pandaincognito

Post by pandaincognito » Sun May 01, 2016 6:43 am

Dragonfly is right about the inaccuracy of sticky thermometers, and depending on which kimd you have trend to be that's to read. I have a food thermometer that I is in the fish tank and my crabs substrate. The sticker on the fish tank reads two degrees higher than the fish tank itself...
-------
2 small pp, smeegle (m), shellshock (m); 1 small/medium pp, shelldon (f), 1 medium/large pp, Godzilla (m)
1 dog, bender the min pin. And one betta named Henry. I dont know if its a boy or a girl, its still pretty young.

Topic author
NLindsey921

Post by NLindsey921 » Sun May 01, 2016 10:49 am

ok. makes sense. i'll try to get it off the side off the tank. hopefully it doesn't leave too much sticky behind.

Kittykimbro@att.net

Post by Kittykimbro@att.net » Sun May 01, 2016 9:09 pm

Command strips also come made especially for the shower/bathroom. They should work. I have had them in the shower of my RV for 4 years and the hold up shampoo, conditioner, bodywash and shaving creme. Year round. :banana: Check Walmart or Amazon. :D

4 Shy PPs (New Family Members)
1 Senior Loveable Mutt Dog (13yrs)
5 Grown (Whew) Children
2 wonderful Granddaughters
1 Patient Husband!

Topic author
NLindsey921

Post by NLindsey921 » Mon May 02, 2016 1:08 am

I didn't know that they made them for showers. Those should hold up in the crab tank. I'll check it out next time I go to walmart

Rawrgeous

Post by Rawrgeous » Mon May 02, 2016 1:41 am

Game changer! Thank you! :)

Sent from my VS415PP using Tapatalk

Topic author
NLindsey921

Post by NLindsey921 » Wed May 04, 2016 11:04 am

Had to take down my moss pit for the moment. The crabs knocked it down last night and no matter how much I tried, those suction cups were done for. So on Friday imma have to run to target or walmart and get those command strips.