Little rocks in sand....

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author
RoroHuntress

Little rocks in sand....

Post by RoroHuntress » Sun Mar 26, 2017 12:14 am

So ive recently moved my 2 PP into a 55 gallon. They seem happy and explore a lot but they have been going underground. The use to go underground a lot in the temporary 10 gallon I had them in. I did notice that this bag I sand I used had lota of little rocks in it...I wonder if that's the reason they won't burrow? Also my top layer of the sand gets dry easisly but I do see that underneath that little layer it is moist. Any advice? Or am I just over thinking those little rocks?

^^^ current crabitat

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk

Hermiearth

Re: Little rocks in sand....

Post by Hermiearth » Sun Mar 26, 2017 1:11 am

No worries, in there natural homes sand can never be rock-free. If you use play sand you are bound to get a some pebbles. As for the digging- crabs will dig when they want to dig, they could be to busy exploring there new digs to dig if you get what I'm saying (:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Topic author
RoroHuntress

Post by RoroHuntress » Sun Mar 26, 2017 1:32 am

Hermiearth wrote:No worries, in there natural homes sand can never be rock-free. If you use play sand you are bound to get a some pebbles. As for the digging- crabs will dig when they want to dig, they could be to busy exploring there new digs to dig if you get what I'm saying (:

Okay! Thank you! I was assuming it would be okay. Its weird though, its not play sand. I got all purpose but this bag had more rocks than the other one apparently. Image

Menders

Post by Menders » Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:08 am

Was it all purpose QuickCrete brand sand?

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Little rocks in sand....

Post by GotButterflies » Sun Mar 26, 2017 12:05 pm

That's interesting- all I have ever used is all purpose quickrete sand- and I have NEVER had pebbles in it. Don't want to freak you out, but I wouldn't want that in my tank. That looks like gravel! Here in Florida (were pps do live) we have a lot of sand that doesn't have rocks like that. I know you are getting ready to have surgery, so I hate to say it, but if it were me, I'd switch it out. Was that like $5 a bag? That is what the all purpose sand is that I buy. It is more expensive than the sand box sand. To each's own though....that's me

Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Topic author
RoroHuntress

Post by RoroHuntress » Sun Mar 26, 2017 12:13 pm

Yes it was quickrete. I got it at home depot. They only have 2 options in sand, the play and all purpose. I got a few bags of it so I have enough to refill but I'll be upset if those other bags had the little rocks! Before I bought a bag and there were no rocks. I wonder if its the batch?

Topic author
RoroHuntress

Post by RoroHuntress » Sun Mar 26, 2017 12:24 pm

And I don't want to bother the guys too much by removing them again and doing all this. They are still skidish of me

Maybe I can shift it? Or remove half of it? But I guess that's still bothersome to them.

Should I wait a bit longer to see if they will go under? It has been only about a week or less since the move

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Sun Mar 26, 2017 6:51 pm

Perhaps you can sift the gravel out? Sounds like a bad batch to me. They are always going to be skittish of you. They are prey animals. You could wait, it's up to you. Like I said, to each's own. :)
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com