Question about Ultratherm heat mat

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author
ElektraSparkle

Question about Ultratherm heat mat

Post by ElektraSparkle » Sun Apr 30, 2017 6:19 am

Hi everyone, I'm in the market for an Ultratherm heat mat to go along the back of my tank as winter is fast approaching, the temperature where I live is already starting to drop and my current heat mat is useless. The tank I have is 61cm x 30cm x 38cm. Now my current issue is that I live in Australia and literally NOWHERE sells them here. I've tried eBay but I could only find a very small one and it won't do the job. Does anyone know of any stockists that might ship overseas? Thank you in advance.
Current: Slowpoke, Turbo, Pinchy (all ALHs)
RIP Speedy (ALH)

CrabMater

Re: Question about Ultratherm heat mat

Post by CrabMater » Sun Apr 30, 2017 6:27 am

ElektraSparkle wrote:Hi everyone, I'm in the market for an Ultratherm heat mat to go along the back of my tank as winter is fast approaching, the temperature where I live is already starting to drop and my current heat mat is useless. The tank I have is 61cm x 30cm x 38cm. Now my current issue is that I live in Australia and literally NOWHERE sells them here. I've tried eBay but I could only find a very small one and it won't do the job. Does anyone know of any stockists that might ship overseas? Thank you in advance.
Hello, I just picked one up from Reptile Basics. They ship Fed Ex, so you might try them for International s/h. Not sure if they do.
I also just dropped "Ultratherm ship to Australia " into google and and eBay auction in australia pooped up. Might be worth a try. Image

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
CrabMater to 2PPs : John & Diana (formerly Cherry Bomb)
Crabbin' since June '16 (RIP Pinchy 7/16 / RIP Dean )

MORE SUBSTRATE!

Topic author
ElektraSparkle

Post by ElektraSparkle » Sun Apr 30, 2017 6:56 am

Thanks so much for that! Might have to hit them up and see if they can ship here. Buying products like these from overseas costs a fortune most of the time. I managed to find a Habistat heat mat that seems similar and I can get that locally but I'm not sure whether to trust it or if anyone has had issues with their products before.
RIP Speedy (ALH)

Hermiearth

Post by Hermiearth » Sun Apr 30, 2017 11:29 am

Try reptile basics or bean farm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Sun Apr 30, 2017 6:55 pm

Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Topic author
ElektraSparkle

Post by ElektraSparkle » Sun Apr 30, 2017 9:39 pm

Thanks guys! I'll try The Bean Farm most likely; they ship internationally so hopefully within the next couple of weeks I can get one.

On another note, has anyone used a thermostat with an Ultratherm? Would it be worth looking into as well?
RIP Speedy (ALH)

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Mon May 01, 2017 9:17 am

ElektraSparkle wrote:Thanks guys! I'll try The Bean Farm most likely; they ship internationally so hopefully within the next couple of weeks I can get one.

On another note, has anyone used a thermostat with an Ultratherm? Would it be worth looking into as well?

I do - here is what I use: https://smile.amazon.com/Zilla-Reptile- ... thermostat
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Topic author
ElektraSparkle

Post by ElektraSparkle » Mon May 01, 2017 10:12 pm

Thanks GB! Thermostat might be the way to go for me to keep the tank temp constant.

I'm currently using a space heater in the room where the tank is located. The problem with my space heater is that it sucks the humidity out of their tank (I've had to saran wrap bigger gaps on the top of the tank which is glass by the way) and brings their tank temp up way too high (yesterday it was up to 85F; our normal house temp at this time of the year sits just below 70F as winter is fast approaching). This heater is located on the opposite side of the room, pointing away from the tank as well so at least we know it's working as a temporary fix.
RIP Speedy (ALH)

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Tue May 02, 2017 7:12 am

Yw! Are you missing the plastic pieces to the glass tops? If you purchased your tank used sometimes these can crack over time due to becoming brittle. My 100 gallon tank came with really brittle ones so I replaced them. I'm wondering if that is the issue. I have no gaps in my glass tops.

Topic author
ElektraSparkle

Post by ElektraSparkle » Wed May 03, 2017 2:51 am

The tank itself isn't missing any pieces; it's supposed to be a fish tank but there must've been issues in the design process. It would make a great fish tank but it needs some modification to make it a better crabitat. Might see if I can get a better piece of glass cut to the size of the top so solve the gap issue. Saran wrap is helping with the humidity and helps keep the heat in. I've worked out that if I keep the heater on a lower heat setting and have it oscillating then the tank warms up gradually (instead of jumping straight to 85F) and humidity doesn't drop dramatically.
RIP Speedy (ALH)

PinchersAndShells

Post by PinchersAndShells » Thu May 04, 2017 12:02 pm

CrabMater wrote: Hello, I just picked one up from Reptile Basics. They ship Fed Ex, so you might try them for International s/h. Not sure if they do.
I also just dropped "Ultratherm ship to Australia " into google and and eBay auction in australia pooped up. Might be worth a try. Image

Gee, I sure hate it when that happens. :hlol:
4 PPs + 1 E = Dusty, Momo, Seasalt, & Elvis
Captive Bred PP = Randy
75 Gallon Crabitat | Crabbing Since 8.11.2015
https://www.instagram.com/pinchersandshells/

CrabMater

Post by CrabMater » Thu May 04, 2017 1:10 pm

PinchersAndShells wrote:
CrabMater wrote: Hello, I just picked one up from Reptile Basics. They ship Fed Ex, so you might try them for International s/h. Not sure if they do.

Gee, I sure hate it when that happens. :hlol:
Lol. Can you tell im a mom to a small kid? :)
Speaking of which, after kiddo goes to bed going to plug in my brand new Ultratherm which just arrived.

CrabMater to 2PPs : John & Diana (formerly Cherry Bomb)
Crabbin' since June '16 (RIP Pinchy 7/16 / RIP Dean )

MORE SUBSTRATE!

Topic author
ElektraSparkle

Post by ElektraSparkle » Sun May 07, 2017 6:08 am

CrabMater, how is the new Ultratherm?
RIP Speedy (ALH)

annedow9

Post by annedow9 » Sun May 07, 2017 9:08 pm

ElektraSparkle wrote:The tank itself isn't missing any pieces; it's supposed to be a fish tank but there must've been issues in the design process. It would make a great fish tank but it needs some modification to make it a better crabitat. Might see if I can get a better piece of glass cut to the size of the top so solve the gap issue. Saran wrap is helping with the humidity and helps keep the heat in. I've worked out that if I keep the heater on a lower heat setting and have it oscillating then the tank warms up gradually (instead of jumping straight to 85F) and humidity doesn't drop dramatically.
I had to have glass cut to fit the tank. Also
The ultratherm heaters are the best definitely worth the investment.

Topic author
ElektraSparkle

Post by ElektraSparkle » Mon May 08, 2017 11:40 pm

annedow9 wrote:
ElektraSparkle wrote:The tank itself isn't missing any pieces; it's supposed to be a fish tank but there must've been issues in the design process. It would make a great fish tank but it needs some modification to make it a better crabitat. Might see if I can get a better piece of glass cut to the size of the top so solve the gap issue. Saran wrap is helping with the humidity and helps keep the heat in. I've worked out that if I keep the heater on a lower heat setting and have it oscillating then the tank warms up gradually (instead of jumping straight to 85F) and humidity doesn't drop dramatically.
I had to have glass cut to fit the tank. Also
The ultratherm heaters are the best definitely worth the investment.

I'm definitely going to be looking into getting one for sure. Unfortunately the space heater may have to remain for a while as I may have to move and that's going to be a difficult task. My living situation isn't the best at the moment (I'm currently living with my dad who is renting and he just doesn't listen to the real estate) and having hermit crabs helps me cope with my stress as it gives me something else to focus on.
RIP Speedy (ALH)