What are your crabs up to?

Where we discuss the behavior of our hermit crabs, as in fights, pecking orders, shell swaps, etc. Please post all naked-crab posts in the Emergency forum.

nwilk688

Re: What are your crabs up to?

Post by nwilk688 » Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:02 am

Giner13 wrote:Best places to find organic baby purée?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I've gotten mine from Jewel and Wal-Mart! Just gotta check the ingredients and make sure there's nothing added!

nwilk688

Post by nwilk688 » Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:10 am

C_fiesta wrote:
nwilk688 wrote:(Left to right) Clawford, Scout, and Toa are all eating their organic baby food! I put it in and 5 minutes later 3 of the 4 crabs are running to the dish! Tama is swimming because he has to be different!!!Image
Wow! I got to know, what flavor is it? I've got some organic mango baby puree I haven't tried yet!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
I'm not sure which flavor they were eating since I gave them a little crabby buffet yesterday, but I have
Butternut squash
Apples, blueberries and spinach
Bananas and mangoes
Bananas and pumpkin
Carrot, zucchini and broccoli
Apple and broccoli
Root veggie and apple

Giner13

Post by Giner13 » Fri Aug 04, 2017 3:12 pm

Great! Thanks guys!!

Kermie16

Post by Kermie16 » Fri Aug 04, 2017 3:29 pm

C_fiesta wrote:My pet sand is well watered and fed.

Hahahahaha! We can all relate!

Giner13

Post by Giner13 » Sun Aug 06, 2017 7:55 am

So almost 6 months Peanut has been down....I know where he is & no smell yet. When will it end!?!?

Also Capt. Jack went down about 2 weeks ago lol yay for the pet sand!!

WhimsyMimsyMo

Post by WhimsyMimsyMo » Sun Aug 06, 2017 10:58 am

I think I'm about to watch Lunie do some shell shopping but I don't know for sure. He's like, marching in place right now, facing a green turbo that he occasionally sticks all his feelers in. By the time I come home from work tonight he might very easily be in a new shell!

HermitHound

Post by HermitHound » Sun Aug 06, 2017 11:00 am

WhimsyMimsyMo wrote:I think I'm about to watch Lunie do some shell shopping but I don't know for sure. He's like, marching in place right now, facing a green turbo that he occasionally sticks all his feelers in. By the time I come home from work tonight he might very easily be in a new shell!
If he's sticking his pinchers inside, checking to see if there's anything in there he may move in very soon!

he-man

Post by he-man » Sun Aug 06, 2017 3:13 pm

WhimsyMimsyMo wrote:I think I'm about to watch Lunie do some shell shopping but I don't know for sure. He's like, marching in place right now, facing a green turbo that he occasionally sticks all his feelers in. By the time I come home from work tonight he might very easily be in a new shell!
Congratulations, if he has! :)
my mom takes care of my crabs now cause im planning college B)

WhimsyMimsyMo

Post by WhimsyMimsyMo » Sun Aug 06, 2017 8:33 pm

Not yet, but he has started to check the shells he comes across w/ his big pincher too! He seems very methodical. Is this generally normal for a PP? He's also probably lonely but again not experienced enough to know. He'll be getting some friends in a couple of weeks!

C_fiesta

Post by C_fiesta » Mon Aug 07, 2017 3:17 am

WhimsyMimsyMo wrote:Not yet, but he has started to check the shells he comes across w/ his big pincher too! He seems very methodical. Is this generally normal for a PP? He's also probably lonely but again not experienced enough to know. He'll be getting some friends in a couple of weeks!
Yes, it's completely normal! I love how slow and methodical they are with their choosing. Shell selection is a very important, if not THE important part of their life so their instincts are VERY GOOD in this department!

Hey! I'm Christine! I have 5 hermit crabs. Join me on Instagram @christinescrabcare. Also, checkout my Etsy shop www.etsy.com/shop/christinescrabcare

PinchersAndShells

Post by PinchersAndShells » Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:08 pm

WhimsyMimsyMo wrote:Not yet, but he has started to check the shells he comes across w/ his big pincher too! He seems very methodical. Is this generally normal for a PP? He's also probably lonely but again not experienced enough to know. He'll be getting some friends in a couple of weeks!
Yes! I like to think they're checking to see how their BP will fit into the shell.
4 PPs + 1 E = Dusty, Momo, Seasalt, & Elvis
Captive Bred PP = Randy
75 Gallon Crabitat | Crabbing Since 8.11.2015
https://www.instagram.com/pinchersandshells/

he-man

Post by he-man » Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:35 pm

My crab has been looking at shells, too, and we hopefully will get him a one that fits him soon.
my mom takes care of my crabs now cause im planning college B)

WhimsyMimsyMo

Post by WhimsyMimsyMo » Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:59 pm

No new shell yet! I may have to break out the odd shells since he is in one already..... heheh.

WhimsyMimsyMo

Post by WhimsyMimsyMo » Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:11 pm

I made Lunie mad at me. The smell of the chemicals used to clean the bathroom got in his cage so I snatched him out and am airing out the room and cage. He's usually just a tiny bit timid at first then will happily crawl aaallll over your hand or whatever you end up setting him on. It's been about three minutes-he's still not out. :( I'm so sorry I freaked you out, Lunie. But you're not safe in there quite yet.

C_fiesta

Post by C_fiesta » Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:04 pm

My most active Lassie is sitting on the cholla scraping out the insides and eating it. I recently dipped it in SW and baked it because it kept growing mold.

He also looks like he's walking/marching in place. Any ideas on what he's doing? Our guess is cleaning out shell poo (which we've watched and is disgusting) or carving his shell?

Hey! I'm Christine! I have 5 hermit crabs. Join me on Instagram @christinescrabcare. Also, checkout my Etsy shop www.etsy.com/shop/christinescrabcare