Trouble changing shell

This is where you discuss shells for your hermit crabs. Not for selling/swapping shells, use Classified Ads for that.

Topic author
Hermiesguardian

Trouble changing shell

Post by Hermiesguardian » Tue Oct 24, 2017 6:06 am

I've only had these crabs about 2 months and they haven't changed shells yet. I have 3 crabbies. But last night it looked like one was checking out a new shell. He seemed to be "sitting" in the opening for a long time. And this morning he was doing that again and now is next to it holding onto it. Is it possible he's having a problem getting out of his current shell? Can he be stuck?
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Trouble changing shell

Post by GotButterflies » Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:26 am

I doubt that your hermit is stuck :) Did you boil the new shells before you put them in? I recommend boiling them in dechlorinated fw, and then dipping them in dechlorinated msw. :)

Do you have the right kind of shells for them to change into? Here is the shell guide: viewtopic.php?f=24&t=92552
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Topic author
Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:05 am

GotButterflies wrote:I doubt that your hermit is stuck :) Did you boil the new shells before you put them in? I recommend boiling them in dechlorinated fw, and then dipping them in dechlorinated msw. :)

Do you have the right kind of shells for them to change into? Here is the shell guide: viewtopic.php?f=24&t=92552
Thank you. Yes, I boiled them. And dipped them. I just bought a bag of shells at Michaels. The shell guide I've read before is a bit confusing. But I know they prefer round holes, right?
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:30 pm

If you have pp crabs, then yes. But...that doesn’t mean they like all of the shells with round openings

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Happyhermiehome

Post by Happyhermiehome » Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:07 pm

He's prob just talking his time deciding if he wants to try it on or not and doesn't want any other crabs to steal it while he makes up his mind. My guys some times drag shells off and bury them if I leave them on the sub lol.
Livin' the Crazy crab life :P

Topic author
Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:00 am

GotButterflies wrote:If you have pp crabs, then yes. But...that doesn’t mean they like all of the shells with round openings Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
There are different openings since I got that bag from Michaels. I put them in a plastic container and he was in there last night. He was in looking at a couple. But it seemed like it was difficult to climb over these shells. Round and not sturdy.