Dead crab under the sand

Please post here if you are having a crab care emergency! Use a real subject and not just "HELP!"

Topic author
platypuskid2

Dead crab under the sand

Post by platypuskid2 » Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:13 pm

Image so zeta maybe a month ago, burrowed down right beside the glass. I didn't want to scare him or for the light to bother him while he was molting so I put a piece of paper over his burrow. Today, when I came home, the paper had fallen down so I inspected zeta's progress to see him lying out of his shell in the sand burrow he dug. I looked into his shell to see if that was merely his exo and he was residing within his shell but his shell is completely empty. I'm not sure how long he's been like this but I have no idea on what to do.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Dead crab under the sand

Post by curlysister » Fri Dec 22, 2017 1:43 pm

I can't see really well from the photo. Is he moving at all?
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

Topic author
platypuskid2

Post by platypuskid2 » Fri Dec 22, 2017 1:58 pm

curlysister wrote:I can't see really well from the photo. Is he moving at all?
he isn't moving at all, he's naked out of his shell lying in his side, also he is quite pale

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:32 pm

Any change?
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:22 am

It's possible that your crab is molting, and that is his exoskeleton that he shed. He will eat that, and climb back up when he's done. The whole molting process varies from crab to crab, but sometimes it takes them a couple of months. Try to be patient.
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Topic author
platypuskid2

Post by platypuskid2 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:48 pm

GotButterflies wrote:It's possible that your crab is molting, and that is his exoskeleton that he shed. He will eat that, and climb back up when he's done. The whole molting process varies from crab to crab, but sometimes it takes them a couple of months. Try to be patient.
I never saw this message and I just dug him up, I found that he wasn't Zeta, but he was Nu. From the stench he was giving off I could surmise that he was deceased.