Saved 9 jumbos this weekend

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

LadyJinglyJones

Re: Saved 9 jumbos this weekend

Post by LadyJinglyJones » Thu May 03, 2018 8:34 pm

I've found Richards shells often stocks larger openings: mention that they're for hermits and let him know what size you're looking for (I think his measurements tend to run a wee bit large, but not by much). Shells with carved stripes & pearlized shells are popular because they're lighter.

Also wanted to recommend a dietary addition of dried leaves, as crabs really will consume a good deal of this. Either crumbled in a dish or simply added to the ground as leaf litter. Oak, maple, birch and elm have all proven popular in my tank. (Though of course warnings about pesticides & ferts apply.)
"Gaze upon the rolling deep..."
Quince the fat tailed gecko; Amazonian minnows; and now Harry & Luis, Bede & Aster, Chandra & Jace, Pax, & Piccolo, my adopted PPs.
RIP Vegita :(

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Thu May 03, 2018 9:50 pm

You'd need turbos with an overall length of 4". Shell Horizons has them for $7.50 (polished and striped) with a $50 minimum purchase, and they won't tell you shipping charges before they get sent.

They don't seem to have them anymore, but unpolished Jade Turbos are sold as Camo or Cammo Turbos - they are naturally brown with green underneath - and those were half the price of the Jades. Might be worth hunting them down as they usually only come 4" plus!

That's the only place I have personally ordered from because those sized shells do cost a fortune and most 'fancy' shell sellers and hermit supply places charge $15 each. I'm not sure if there are newer stores who do better!
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

ROSIEonFIRE

Post by ROSIEonFIRE » Thu May 03, 2018 11:08 pm

Amazon, ebay. Various sellers.

Topic author
Just_saving_crabs

Post by Just_saving_crabs » Fri May 04, 2018 6:03 am

ROSIEonFIRE wrote:Amazon, ebay. Various sellers.
Sadly all the ones on amazon, ebay and etsy are an average price of $20 was hoping to find something a little less expensive.

Topic author
Just_saving_crabs

Post by Just_saving_crabs » Fri May 04, 2018 6:08 am

LadyJinglyJones wrote:I've found Richards shells often stocks larger openings: mention that they're for hermits and let him know what size you're looking for (I think his measurements tend to run a wee bit large, but not by much). Shells with carved stripes & pearlized shells are popular because they're lighter.

Also wanted to recommend a dietary addition of dried leaves, as crabs really will consume a good deal of this. Either crumbled in a dish or simply added to the ground as leaf litter. Oak, maple, birch and elm have all proven popular in my tank. (Though of course warnings about pesticides & ferts apply.)
I will send him an email today thank you. as for the leaves we just moved to the area so I have no idea about pesticides yet.

Topic author
Just_saving_crabs

Post by Just_saving_crabs » Fri May 04, 2018 4:53 pm

Well almost done. Have cholla wood and more plants arriving next week. After that all I need to get are the right shells. ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Fri May 04, 2018 5:04 pm

Just_saving_crabs wrote:Well almost done. Have cholla wood and more plants arriving next week. After that all I need to get are the right shells. ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Very cool!! I'd love to do a topper. My husband says no. Lol.
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

AwesomeHermit

Post by AwesomeHermit » Fri May 04, 2018 5:06 pm

Maybe you could also have something leading in the topper
One or hopefully two Clypeatus
Goodbye my little E. See you soon.
Bye Fred. You lasted almost 4 years with me. Hope you're with my E now! See you soon Reeba as well. I can't believe I lost you only after a month.
Crabbing for 4 years!

Topic author
Just_saving_crabs

Post by Just_saving_crabs » Fri May 04, 2018 5:08 pm

AwesomeHermit wrote:Maybe you could also have something leading in the topper
That's what the cholla wood is for when it arrives Image

LadyJinglyJones

Post by LadyJinglyJones » Sat May 05, 2018 2:59 pm

Wow, that looks great. :D
"Gaze upon the rolling deep..."
Quince the fat tailed gecko; Amazonian minnows; and now Harry & Luis, Bede & Aster, Chandra & Jace, Pax, & Piccolo, my adopted PPs.
RIP Vegita :(

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Sat May 05, 2018 4:42 pm

I just wanted to mention that if you would like to keep your shells cleaner longer, do not put things on the bottom of your shell shop that will fill the shells. I personally use cocofiber mat on the inside of mine. This way the crabs have something not the bottom (it isn't just a plastic basket), and the mat is also something that will catch sand off of the hermits :) Just a suggestion! :) Looking great!
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

piratetoothgir

Post by piratetoothgir » Sat May 05, 2018 5:39 pm

Great! :)
I love your choices for plants, super colorful! I really am amazed, you are a great keeper! :)
Crabber Since 2016
7 Caribbeans & 2 Ecuadorians
I am the proud owner of my hermit crabs, aquarium fish, and isopod totes!

Topic author
Just_saving_crabs

Post by Just_saving_crabs » Sat May 05, 2018 10:06 pm

GotButterflies wrote:I just wanted to mention that if you would like to keep your shells cleaner longer, do not put things on the bottom of your shell shop that will fill the shells. I personally use cocofiber mat on the inside of mine. This way the crabs have something not the bottom (it isn't just a plastic basket), and the mat is also something that will catch sand off of the hermits :) Just a suggestion! :) Looking great!
Omg thank you! I was trying to figure something out. Already changed it over! And bonus found 3 of the right shells while out today 50% off!!Image

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Sat May 05, 2018 10:39 pm

Awesome find on the shells! I use regular plastic canvas to line my shell shops. It comes in colors at craft stores so I went with green and black so it blends in.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Sun May 06, 2018 10:52 am

Awesome! :)
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com