Did he molt?

This forum is where you discuss issues relating to molting hermit crabs, including pre- and post-molting issues. If you are having a molting emergency please post in the Emergency Forum.

Topic author
Just_saving_crabs

Did he molt?

Post by Just_saving_crabs » Thu May 10, 2018 8:13 pm

This guy was buried for only a few days maybe a week but he looks brighter to me did he actually molt that quickly? ImageImageImageImage

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Re: Did he molt?

Post by wodesorel » Thu May 10, 2018 11:45 pm

It would be borderline impossible for a crab of that size to molt that quick. Tiny crabs can do it, but big guys normally need a lot more time to get through the physical act of loosening, shedding and hardening.

Does he have sharp black toe points? They would look like skinny mechanical pencil lead. I would also expect a freshly molted big guy to be hairier all over.

They will darken and/or get significantly stronger colors when wet or moist. Even higher levels of humidity will hide the dusky coating they start to develop after going a long time without molting!
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Topic author
Just_saving_crabs

Re: Did he molt?

Post by Just_saving_crabs » Fri May 11, 2018 4:54 am

wodesorel wrote:It would be borderline impossible for a crab of that size to molt that quick. Tiny crabs can do it, but big guys normally need a lot more time to get through the physical act of loosening, shedding and hardening.

Does he have sharp black toe points? They would look like skinny mechanical pencil lead. I would also expect a freshly molted big guy to be hairier all over.

They will darken and/or get significantly stronger colors when wet or moist. Even higher levels of humidity will hide the dusky coating they start to develop after going a long time without molting!
Ok that must be what it is then. As he doesn't have any of the features you pointed out. Thank you!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk