Spring water

All about freshwater & saltwater - dechlorinators, salt, water bowls, and pool construction & maintenance.

Topic author
quinnn12

Spring water

Post by quinnn12 » Sun Feb 07, 2021 12:17 pm

So I am needing to use better water and have been thinking about ordering some Prime for it. Even with that though, using tap water makes me really nervous. Is it safe to use spring water without treating it? Will I have problems with ammonia or anything dangerous in spring water? If I used spring or distilled for my salt water and spring for my fresh water would it be safe for them and all that? This feels repetitive but I just want to cover all my bases.

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Spring water

Post by GotButterflies » Sun Feb 07, 2021 12:45 pm

From what I understand it is better to use tap water and use prime so that there are minerals in the water. That is what I do.
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Topic author
quinnn12

Post by quinnn12 » Sun Feb 07, 2021 3:40 pm

Oh wait but i thought spring water wasn't demineralized like distilled, they just took the bad stuff out?

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Sun Feb 07, 2021 3:52 pm

Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Topic author
quinnn12

Post by quinnn12 » Wed Feb 10, 2021 2:54 pm

GotButterflies wrote:
Sun Feb 07, 2021 3:52 pm
Here is a thread on water. :) http://www.hermitcrabassociation.com/ph ... R#p1102647
thanks

Topic author
quinnn12

Post by quinnn12 » Tue Feb 16, 2021 5:21 pm

Would the purified water that is in jugs at the store be better than spring? I am really trying to find something other than distilled that is safe without prime but not crazy expensive. I know there is purified jugs by the spring and distilled in the store and I was thinking maybe it would be best?

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Tue Feb 16, 2021 8:17 pm

Are you unable to find Prime (or a suitable dechlorinator) to use with your tap water?
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

JoeHermits
Administrator
Administrator

Post by JoeHermits » Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:37 pm

quinnn12 wrote:Would the purified water that is in jugs at the store be better than spring? I am really trying to find something other than distilled that is safe without prime but not crazy expensive. I know there is purified jugs by the spring and distilled in the store and I was thinking maybe it would be best?
Purified water has fewer contaminates than spring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HermitofHermitCrabs

Post by HermitofHermitCrabs » Sun Feb 21, 2021 11:43 pm

They drink spring water in the wild. That really about sums it up.
9 PPs in a 125 G Terrarium since August 2020: Sebastian (F) - 2 Molts, Midnight (F) - 2 Molts, Red (M) - 2 Molts, Jello (F) - 3 Molts, Ninja (M) - 1 Molt, Shelly (M) - 1 Molt, Tiny (?) - 3 Molts, & Dot (?) - 1 Molt

Formerly had ~40 from 2004 to 2010.

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Mon Feb 22, 2021 4:40 am

There is no label control on bottled water, so you are more likely to get bottled tap than something straight out of a natural spring.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

HermitofHermitCrabs

Post by HermitofHermitCrabs » Mon Feb 22, 2021 1:18 pm

wodesorel wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 4:40 am
There is no label control on bottled water, so you are more likely to get bottled tap than something straight out of a natural spring.
That’s why I test brands from time to time. Both Great Value and Ozarka are legit.
9 PPs in a 125 G Terrarium since August 2020: Sebastian (F) - 2 Molts, Midnight (F) - 2 Molts, Red (M) - 2 Molts, Jello (F) - 3 Molts, Ninja (M) - 1 Molt, Shelly (M) - 1 Molt, Tiny (?) - 3 Molts, & Dot (?) - 1 Molt

Formerly had ~40 from 2004 to 2010.

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Mon Feb 22, 2021 5:43 pm

HermitofHermitCrabs wrote:
Sun Feb 21, 2021 11:43 pm
They drink spring water in the wild. That really about sums it up.
Not really, they drink from a wide range of water sources. While springs (ground water) can certainly be a source, they likely to also drink water from puddles and such (rain water) as well as dew produced in the early morning. (Than there's ocean)

Water doesn't have to be complex, but its important that they are being offered the appropriate water to ensure their success.

I can't confirm about the brands of spring water you mentioned, but its very likely they are bottled tap water or likely to be a mix. :/
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

CrabbyLover77

Post by CrabbyLover77 » Mon Feb 22, 2021 6:20 pm

I took a water class in college a few years back (for a natural resources degree). Like Aussie said, "spring water" isn't necessarily that. The labels companies are allowed to use can be vague and not regulated. The water that's bottled up isn't regulated like it should be either. We were presented a few studies that found there were more bacteria and contaminants present in bottled water than in tap water. That's why I always treat any water with Prime, even my well water. You just never know what's lurking in there.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

"Hunting is not a sport. In a sport, both sides should know they're in the game." -Paul Rodriguez-
https://www.etsy.com/shop/BigBeausBouti ... form-mcnav

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Mon Feb 22, 2021 6:24 pm

CrabbyLover77 wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 6:20 pm
I took a water class in college a few years back (for a natural resources degree). Like Aussie said, "spring water" isn't necessarily that. The labels companies are allowed to use can be vague and not regulated. The water that's bottled up isn't regulated like it should be either. We were presented a few studies that found there were more bacteria and contaminants present in bottled water than in tap water. That's why I always treat any water with Prime, even my well water. You just never know what's lurking in there.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
I can't take credit for this one, its entirely Wode! ^_^

Keep in mind, prime does not really affect bacteria and some contaminates (thinking biological derived contaminated), so it isn't 100% fool proof.
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Mon Feb 22, 2021 7:23 pm

CrabbyLover77 wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 6:20 pm
I took a water class in college a few years back (for a natural resources degree).
I have been paranoid ever since taking Environmental Geology 101. The professor was responsible for maping well contamination for a university project. Something about one of the popular pizza places serving coliform bacteria along with their crispy crust. 🤢 And about the amount of bacteria that grows in Brita filters when left out at room temperature, because once that chlorine is removed from tap water it is a free for all. Ughhhhh
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram