Water Heaters????

All about freshwater & saltwater - dechlorinators, salt, water bowls, and pool construction & maintenance.

Topic author
HappyHermit0916

Water Heaters????

Post by HappyHermit0916 » Sun Dec 13, 2020 9:04 am

So yesterday I was doing a water change my crabitat and noticed that the water wasn't very hot, it was a cooler lukewarm temperature, not cold just not super hot.
So I was wondering should you have water heaters in the pools? My pools are pretty large, and I'm planning on upgrading soon, so should I get water heaters when I upgrade next?
29 gallon crabitat and 20 gallon long crabitat
My hermit crab YouTube channel: https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCJWuO8Urh5X94yipfRNiVRA
RIP Lola, the best hermit crab
Love you Reynie, Piper, Opal, Ridley, and Jasper

JoeHermits
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Water Heaters????

Post by JoeHermits » Sun Dec 13, 2020 12:43 pm

Heaters are more of a neat add-on than a necessity. They can be nice but IMO most of the time the water temperature isn’t going to be a major concern.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Topic author
HappyHermit0916

Post by HappyHermit0916 » Sun Dec 13, 2020 1:34 pm

JoeHermits wrote:
Sun Dec 13, 2020 12:43 pm
Heaters are more of a neat add-on than a necessity. They can be nice but IMO most of the time the water temperature isn’t going to be a major concern.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ok, that's a relief! I was worried that if the water temperature was too cold the crabs could go into shock, kind of like how fish do when they're introduced to a new tank.
My hermit crab YouTube channel: https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCJWuO8Urh5X94yipfRNiVRA

Links

Post by Links » Mon Dec 14, 2020 6:37 am

Did you ever see this? https://youtu.be/4ZvBcrxy8Ic

Topic author
HappyHermit0916

Post by HappyHermit0916 » Mon Dec 14, 2020 7:00 am

Links wrote:
Mon Dec 14, 2020 6:37 am
No, I haven't! Thanks for the recommendation I'll check it out later!

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Mon Dec 14, 2020 11:31 am

The water will always feel like it is cold, compared to the temperature in the tank. But as long as the tank is the correct temp, the water will be a good temp for the crabs.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Mon Dec 14, 2020 10:50 pm

Links wrote:
Mon Dec 14, 2020 6:37 am
That's Courtney's video, she runs BioactiveFX1 formerly The Cholla Queen on Etsy. I link to this video quite a bit on here based on what's being asked. I based my filtered pools and UVB lighting on this video. I probably watched the water portion a dozen times!

There has been a lot of progress in care for crabs before I got into crab care. There is so much more to learn and experiment with. As Courtney said in the video she thinks there is a lot more to water than what most of us offer.
Coenobita Curiosities offering crabby decor
https://www.etsy.com/shop/CoenobitaCuriosities

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Tue Dec 15, 2020 4:50 am

If the air temp in the tank is 80, then your pools will also be 80. That matches the ocean and surface water temp in Haiti, where nearly all our PPs come from. It's why its never been a huge concern - that and the danger that comes from running heaters inside the tank. They aren't made for small amounts of water, can explode or catch fire if removed from the water (spills, evaporation, crabs tugging them out), and of course the risk of the crabs snipping through the cords.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

hermitsrus1966

Post by hermitsrus1966 » Tue Jan 26, 2021 9:58 pm

wodesorel wrote:
Tue Dec 15, 2020 4:50 am
If the air temp in the tank is 80, then your pools will also be 80. That matches the ocean and surface water temp in Haiti, where nearly all our PPs come from. It's why its never been a huge concern - that and the danger that comes from running heaters inside the tank. They aren't made for small amounts of water, can explode or catch fire if removed from the water (spills, evaporation, crabs tugging them out), and of course the risk of the crabs snipping through the cords.
Omg, yes I agree. When I first got my crabs we thought it would be a cool add on, and the crabs destroyed the chords!! Superman (one of PPs) also got a whole of the light chord on the top of the tank and destroyed that too! They are as bad as bunnies or mice,lol! :D I now try to avoid any chords or make sure they are out of reach.

Momma And Company

Post by Momma And Company » Tue Mar 09, 2021 9:46 pm

HappyHermit0916 wrote:
Sun Dec 13, 2020 9:04 am
So yesterday I was doing a water change my crabitat and noticed that the water wasn't very hot, it was a cooler lukewarm temperature, not cold just not super hot.
So I was wondering should you have water heaters in the pools? My pools are pretty large, and I'm planning on upgrading soon, so should I get water heaters when I upgrade next?
I would think matching water temp to the crabitat temp would be helpful. For example, if your crabitat air temp is 80 then when you replace the fresh and salt water - have a separate thermometer to test the water. For example, if your refreshed water tests at say, 78 F when the air temp inside is 80+ then your crabs, if they use the water right away, might get a little "spring" in their step until the water comes to tank temp. thinking it's the rainy season.

Regardless of how big your crabitat is, you can always adjust the temp on your faucet. I'm a fan of having another thermometer, so you can fill a crabbie pool and put it in there, and test it. If you'd like to give your crabbies a bit of a "boost" - make the new pool water 2-3 degrees lower than the crabitat temp when you put it in so it might spring them into motion. The water will come up to tank temp slowly and eventually.

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Wed Mar 10, 2021 12:30 am

That's totally over-thinking it. I wouldn't put fridge-temp water in, but room temp is fine. It will adjust to the temp of the tank fast enought, without causing any problems for the crabs. No need to check the temp of the pools.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

Momma And Company

Post by Momma And Company » Tue Mar 16, 2021 9:29 pm

curlysister wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 12:30 am
That's totally over-thinking it. I wouldn't put fridge-temp water in, but room temp is fine. It will adjust to the temp of the tank fast enought, without causing any problems for the crabs. No need to check the temp of the pools.
My apologies, I tend to do that. But also, my room temp is 71 F in winter and if the inside of my crabitat is 80+ and a crab wanted to dive right in, it would be a shock I'd think - plus my skin senses for heat aren't that good in my hands when I test so it might be overkill but at the same time, it might be helpful. It's something I'll be doing anyway, just for my own circumstances and piece of mind, thus why I wanted to share with others just in case.