New Flooring: How to Protect the Crabitat During the Work?

This is the place to post if you have questions and aren't sure where to ask them! If it relates to one of the sections below, please post there instead.

Topic author
DragonsFly

New Flooring: How to Protect the Crabitat During the Work?

Post by DragonsFly » Tue Mar 30, 2021 6:43 pm

Landlords are going to replace the flooring in the main room of the apartment. This will require taking up the tile that is there, and installing new floor (probably "floating" bamboo flooring, which adheres to CA standards for toxic off-gassing, which is good, but I don't know yet whether there will be anything problematic involved in preparing the surface).

I have two jumbo crabs (one still down molting; assuming he is alive) in a 120g high tank on a big heavy cabinet. They will have to move this set-up to replace the flooring in that room, so I hope it will slide easily enough to just slide it into the bedroom.

Question: if the tank is in the bedroom while they do "all the things" in the main room, there will at least be a lot of tile/grout dust from breaking and tearing up the tile, and possibly some fumes depending on what is required to put in "floating floors" (I assume there's no glue, because they are "floating," but maybe they have to use some icky stuff to prepare the surface in some way?) There will be times when the door will have to be open between the rooms (and there's a pretty big gap under the door, anyway, so it's definitely not "air-tight"). What, if anything, can I do to protect the tank while this work is going on?
--{}: Dragons Fly Farm --{}:
Resident PP's:"Major Tom" & "Billie Jean"

“An adventure is only an inconvenience rightly considered. An inconvenience is only an adventure wrongly considered.”
― G.K. Chesterton

Topic author
DragonsFly

Re: New Flooring: How to Protect the Crabitat During the Work?

Post by DragonsFly » Wed Mar 31, 2021 12:04 pm

no ideas? . . . Bueller. . . ?

“An adventure is only an inconvenience rightly considered. An inconvenience is only an adventure wrongly considered.”
― G.K. Chesterton

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Wed Mar 31, 2021 6:24 pm

....Bueller?....

Hahaha love it!

Can you seal up the tank? Like with plastic wrap and tape so nothing gets in there?
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

Topic author
DragonsFly

Post by DragonsFly » Wed Mar 31, 2021 8:20 pm

I could try that.

Would have to turn off the UTH's (so plastic wrap does not melt) and the air pump (so it does not just pump dust/fumes in to the water sources).

But how long would it be safe to keep it sealed up like that? (I'm a big proponent of having fresh air circulating frequently.)

― G.K. Chesterton

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Wed Mar 31, 2021 11:04 pm

If your UTH's are on the back or side of the tank, you don't have to unplug them when you cover with plastic wrap - my first two tanks only had plastic wrap for the covers.
Are your flooring guys working during the days? You could seal it up really well for the day, then let some air in at night. There are people who keep their tank sealed up tight all the time and only let air in when they change food and water.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

Topic author
DragonsFly

Post by DragonsFly » Thu Apr 01, 2021 7:19 am

They will definitely just be working during the day, and maybe the dust will settle by night, but if there are fumes those might hang around longer. I'll be sleeping in the same room, though, so hopefully they won't be too bad!!!

The UTH's are on the back and one side of the tank, but within about an inch of the top. I can try to see if I can get a good seal without the plastic wrap getting on the UTH area. If it will stick well to the upper frame of the tank, that should work.

If there ARE fumes from the work, and they last a few days, how long do you think it would be safe to leave the tank without any fresh air exchange? Again, it is a 120 high, about 1/2 full of substrate, two jumbo crabs (one down molting, going on a year now, hope to see him sometime this summer); one is up and active at night.

Thanks again!

― G.K. Chesterton

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Thu Apr 01, 2021 2:48 pm

I am totally spitballing here, but would think 48-72 hours would be fine to be sealed up.

Topic author
DragonsFly

Post by DragonsFly » Thu Apr 01, 2021 6:48 pm

I appreciate it!

Final question: if Major Tom has not come up from molting yet when it is time to move the tank, should I dig him up? I have never, never interrupted a molter before, and have serious qualms about that. How much of a risk is it really to move the tank when one is down molting?

― G.K. Chesterton

todbranson

Post by todbranson » Mon Aug 16, 2021 7:53 am

curlysister wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 2:48 pm
I am totally spitballing here, but would think 48-72 hours would be fine to be sealed up....
Thank you...

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Tue Aug 17, 2021 7:56 am

If you tape the wrap to the trim of the aquarium, it would allow a good seal and allow the UTH to stay on.

In aus, very little glues are used an I imagine it be the same in the US. The most I would worry about is dust, but when removing the tile, a vacuum and keeping the place well ventilated so minimise much of the issues IMO.
https://www.diynetwork.com/how-to/rooms ... ting-floor

Honestly, simply keeping the door close (if you can) with a towel jammed underneath should keep the dust out, and if extra cautious, leaving the window open in the bedroom to keep the room well ventilated just in case would do a fantastic job and honestly forgo the need to seal up the tank. But that's me.
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

Topic author
DragonsFly

Post by DragonsFly » Wed Aug 18, 2021 8:46 pm

Thanks all who answered; we had a family tragedy in May and have not put in the flooring, so I have not had to do anything about it yet. Also, Major Tom has still not come up. :( He will have been down for 2 years in October, so. . .

― G.K. Chesterton