Substrate

This is the place to post if you have questions and aren't sure where to ask them! If it relates to one of the sections below, please post there instead.

Topic author
Fangs19

Substrate

Post by Fangs19 » Sat Oct 08, 2022 3:57 pm

Hello everyone!
I recently did more research on crabitat substrate and realized the one I currently have which is calcium sand and soil mix is bad and today I got all purpose sand and planning on getting eco earth soon
Anyways with that aside is all purpose sand good or should I get something else?

MotleyMusicana

Re: Substrate

Post by MotleyMusicana » Sat Oct 08, 2022 5:46 pm

yeah that should be fine. it should be pre-washed so all you really gotta do is add the cocoa fiber and water.
3 PP's
- Professor Pinchy
- Debauchery "Deb"
- Cake

Topic author
Fangs19

Post by Fangs19 » Sat Oct 08, 2022 6:45 pm

Okay thanks!
I’m supposed to use bottled water for that correct?

Jlmills525

Post by Jlmills525 » Sat Oct 08, 2022 7:24 pm

i always mix mine with de-chlorinated water treated with instant ocean.. it helps keep mold down.
Wife, Mom, WoW player since Vanilla - Alliance Main
3 PPS - Eugene, Sheldon, Bortus
1 dog - Maggie
1 cat - Weston

hermitsinnc

Post by hermitsinnc » Sat Oct 08, 2022 7:34 pm

The Eco Earth may come in a brick which will need to be reconstituted. Once it is reconstituted (following the directions on the package), the moisture it holds should be enough to get your substrate up to sandcastle consistency if it's 5:1 sand:EE.
3 PPs: Maxwell (small), Mitchelle (medium/small), Kendall (medium/large)
also have 10gal freshwater fishtank w/ neon tetras, pygmy cories, and nerite snails

"I am here, I am loved, God is good, and that's enough." --Brandon Heath

MotleyMusicana

Post by MotleyMusicana » Sat Oct 08, 2022 11:10 pm

yeah so like with water, it can be botted. I use gallon jugs of spring water or tap water is usually fine too. then treat it with a dechlorinator (I use seachem prime).
3 PP's
- Professor Pinchy
- Debauchery "Deb"
- Cake

Topic author
Fangs19

Post by Fangs19 » Sun Oct 09, 2022 1:06 pm

Another question though
What do I do if I don’t have a big enough cage?
How much mixture would I need to put in then?

Jlmills525

Post by Jlmills525 » Sun Oct 09, 2022 1:46 pm

no matter what size your "cage" is, the substrate should be 3 times as deep as your largest crab... 6 inches is a general idea of depth.

If you don't think it's big enough.. you can keep an eye on FB marketplace or craigs list they often have used tanks at very reasonable prices.

some larger cities even have neighborhood groups that post "curbside" alerts that they are getting rid of things and are for free. (in my neighborhood, we just consider the back yard by our ally to be the bermuda triangle, stuff we put there just disappears :D )
Wife, Mom, WoW player since Vanilla - Alliance Main
3 PPS - Eugene, Sheldon, Bortus
1 dog - Maggie
1 cat - Weston

CrabbyLover77

Post by CrabbyLover77 » Sun Oct 09, 2022 2:25 pm

Jlmills525 wrote: Some larger cities even have neighborhood groups that post "curbside" alerts that they are getting rid of things and are for free. (in my neighborhood, we just consider the back yard by our ally to be the bermuda triangle, stuff we put there just disappears :D )
Love the Bermuda Triangle thing lol! A lot of people in my area take scrap metal and get cash for it. My friend use to do it too, but her business took off, so she doesn't have time anymore. So now if we have anything with a lot of metal, we sit it out on the furthest edge of the property next to the road with a free sign. Within a few hours to a week, it's gone!

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

"Hunting is not a sport. In a sport, both sides should know they're in the game." -Paul Rodriguez-
https://www.etsy.com/shop/BigBeausBouti ... form-mcnav

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Sun Oct 09, 2022 8:41 pm

I have totally gotten tanks and stands curbside. :whistle:: Free is a great deal!

To answer the water question, really any water source is safe so long as it's something you can drink. Tap water is okay even if untreated as the crabs aren't going to be submerging their gills in it since it's just mixed into substrate. I also prefer to use saltwater for mixing their substrate up the first time (using instant ocean) as it helps with keeping the tank fresh and preventing mold.

Molting is their most dangerous time, so having enough substrate trumps any climbing space in a smaller tank. The topside crabs will deal, though may become destructive if they get too bored.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram