Hermit Crab Digging In The Same Spot?

This forum is where you discuss issues relating to molting hermit crabs, including pre- and post-molting issues. If you are having a molting emergency please post in the Emergency Forum.

Topic author
Fangs19

Hermit Crab Digging In The Same Spot?

Post by Fangs19 » Mon Nov 28, 2022 10:17 am

Okay to skip to the point Hallow is currently molting she's been under for about 3 weeks and a week ago M&M went down near the same spot leaving a little hole behind
I'm a little worried that he was trying to dig her up just to eat her but then again I feed him different things such as eggshells and other things such as fruits and veggies to keep him healthy and well feed and the substrate is good and covers up the molting smell because I haven't smelt any rotten fish from out of the tank at all
I checked on them every 2-3 days making sure if anything has happened but nothing all I still see is that little hole that worries me and I'm hoping that nothing bad has happened

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Re: Hermit Crab Digging In The Same Spot?

Post by wodesorel » Mon Nov 28, 2022 2:07 pm

They need meat proteins of some sort or they will go after tankmates.

Crabs that bury to molt rarely stay in the same location. They can traverse the entire length of the tank while underground, so just because both started in the same spot doesn't mean they're both still right there.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Topic author
Fangs19

Post by Fangs19 » Mon Nov 28, 2022 3:31 pm

Okay thanks
He is fed meat such as chicken and sometimes I mix it up a little so he doesn’t end up eating the same thing everyday
Last edited by Fangs19 on Mon Nov 28, 2022 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author
Fangs19

Post by Fangs19 » Mon Nov 28, 2022 3:32 pm

But I have a question how do you know if they did dig up the molter?
Do they go under ground and bring them back up to eat them or is it something else?

hermitcrablover2
Location: Why do you want to know?... Ok fine SOMEWHERE in California.

Post by hermitcrablover2 » Mon Nov 28, 2022 7:09 pm

If the molter is found, unfortunately they will likely be killed by the other hermie, and as far as I've seen the "killer" doesn't really pull the victim anywhere. Sniff the tank, sometimes after a hermit crab has died it will smell fishy, and check to see if the hermit crab who dug the hole is wearing the molter's shell. Don't dig unless it's been a long time ( about 3 months for smaller hermies, 6 months to a year for larger ones.)
2 PP's (Boba and Blue), 1 Dog (Coco)

"Eateth. Thy. WORDS." - Donatello, ROTTMNT

Topic author
Fangs19

Post by Fangs19 » Mon Nov 28, 2022 7:49 pm

Just checked the tank and no fishy smell
So I'm guessing everything is fine :)

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Fri Dec 02, 2022 12:11 am

If a crab is buried underground and passes away, you probably won't smell anything through the deep substrate.
If you have deep enough substrate, and your tank is big enough for the number and size of crabs that you have, you just need to trust that things are going to be okay under there.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers