hermit crab salt water

All about freshwater & saltwater - dechlorinators, salt, water bowls, and pool construction & maintenance.

Topic author
trinr25

hermit crab salt water

Post by trinr25 » Wed Aug 10, 2022 1:42 pm

I always use a saltwater conditioner and some soaking salt. should I be using both? how much of each and am i doing it wrong?

Jlmills525

Re: hermit crab salt water

Post by Jlmills525 » Wed Aug 10, 2022 4:03 pm

viewtopic.php?f=127&t=92553

Everything you always wanted to know about hermit crab water needs but were afraid to ask! :)
Wife, Mom, WoW player since Vanilla - Alliance Main
3 PPS - Eugene, Sheldon, Bortus
1 dog - Maggie
1 cat - Weston

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Wed Aug 10, 2022 11:00 pm

The water care sheet explains everything you need to know and the rationale behind it.
Basically, you need a pool of fresh water that is made by adding dechlorinator to tap water.
Then you need a pool of salt water that is the same tap water you treated with the dechlorinator, but has marine salt added to it.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

ROSIEonFIRE

Post by ROSIEonFIRE » Wed Aug 24, 2022 12:58 pm

Just to make sure this point is clear, yes you should dechlorinate both BUT you need to use MARINE salt only. You should be able to get marine salt at any pet store. There are instructions for how to mix on the box.

Topic author
trinr25

Post by trinr25 » Wed Aug 31, 2022 8:12 am

the salt i use is “thrive” hermit crab soaking salt, is there a difference between the two?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ROSIEonFIRE

Post by ROSIEonFIRE » Wed Aug 31, 2022 8:42 am

Just looking at the ingredients, it's hard to say. However, marine salts such as instant ocean are formulated to mimic marine salt water. This is really what we're going for. We're trying to recreate the natural environment in the crabitat. Thrive doesn't make any claims to do this. Instant ocean is also a product that has been proven to work for marine animals. Therefore, I would highly reccomend purchasing some instant ocean. Using instant ocean will also allow you to mix the saltwater to the correct strength because it comes with a water to salt ratio.

Topic author
trinr25

Post by trinr25 » Wed Aug 31, 2022 8:44 am

alrighty; thank you so much for the help!!

ROSIEonFIRE

Post by ROSIEonFIRE » Wed Aug 31, 2022 10:05 am

Ps, saltwater pro tip: make your dechlorinated saltwater in a gallon jug. This way, when you need to replace your saltwater, you already have some dechlorinated saltwater mixed up! So much easier than mixing it up every time. Just make sure to shake the jug well before dispensing.

Topic author
trinr25

Post by trinr25 » Wed Aug 31, 2022 10:38 am

okay!! also quick question, should i continue to take the bowls out and wash them out or just keep adding new water?

ROSIEonFIRE

Post by ROSIEonFIRE » Wed Aug 31, 2022 10:49 am

I like to wash them whenevrr i change the water because they get pretty gnarly but you probably don't need to use soap every time.

Topic author
trinr25

Post by trinr25 » Wed Aug 31, 2022 10:50 am

ok!!!

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Wed Aug 31, 2022 11:22 pm

trinr25 wrote:
Wed Aug 31, 2022 8:12 am
the salt i use is “thrive” hermit crab soaking salt, is there a difference between the two?

Like Rosie said, Thrive isn't marine salt. It won't hurt your crabs, but it won't provide all the necessary minerals they need for long term health.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

silver-crow17

Post by silver-crow17 » Fri Apr 28, 2023 10:27 pm

ROSIEonFIRE wrote:
Wed Aug 31, 2022 10:05 am
Ps, saltwater pro tip: make your dechlorinated saltwater in a gallon jug. This way, when you need to replace your saltwater, you already have some dechlorinated saltwater mixed up! So much easier than mixing it up every time. Just make sure to shake the jug well before dispensing.
You keep saying Dechlorinated? What if you run off of well water? (No chlorine or any chemicals) would I still need to dechlorinate it?

CrabbyLover77

Post by CrabbyLover77 » Fri Apr 28, 2023 10:50 pm

silver-crow17 wrote: You keep saying Dechlorinated? What if you run off of well water? (No chlorine or any chemicals) would I still need to dechlorinate it?
I also have well water, and I still treat it with Seachem Prime. While there is no chlorine in well water, Prime still detoxifies ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates as well as heavy metals found in ground water.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

"Hunting is not a sport. In a sport, both sides should know they're in the game." -Paul Rodriguez-
https://www.etsy.com/shop/BigBeausBouti ... form-mcnav

sunflower_crabitat

Post by sunflower_crabitat » Thu Jun 22, 2023 8:08 pm

i use the same "thrive" stuff, it says it's a seawater conditioner and its meant for hermit crabs, i haven't had any issues with it yet although if that isn't what i should use for my crabs please tell me!