Why does he keep changing shells?

This is the place to post if you have questions and aren't sure where to ask them! If it relates to one of the sections below, please post there instead.

Topic author
Snowyleopard

Why does he keep changing shells?

Post by Snowyleopard » Sun Jul 23, 2023 7:36 am

I got a new hermit crab a little over a month ago from a souvenir store. My crab was in a painted shell so I supplied him with at least ten shells that are about his size, and he quickly switched into a better shell. But since then he’s switched shells at least two other times, is he just trying to figure out the perfect fit shell? Or is there something wrong? I believe that he stays in each shell for a few days, but I had just noticed him in a different shell the other day but today he is in another new one.
——
Another crab I got at the same time has yet to change out of his shell, should I wait and see if he eventually changes, or could he be stuck in his shell?

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Why does he keep changing shells?

Post by curlysister » Sun Jul 23, 2023 12:36 pm

It could be exactly that, he is just trying to find his favorite. The other one might simply like the one he is in.
That said, be sure you are offering 3-5 extra shells per crab. And be sure that they are the appropriate type and size for your crab. Have a look at the 'shells' care sheet for more info.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

Topic author
Snowyleopard

Post by Snowyleopard » Sun Jul 23, 2023 12:43 pm

Okay, Thank you. I do believe that they are purple pinchers, and I have about 30 turbo shells in various sizes, as well as other types of shells incase they wanna be different. None of them seem stressed I’ve just never had a crab change shells so much in such a short amount of time. Hopefully the other one changes shells soon enough, he’s in a painted shell and I want to get it out of there asap

Serendipity

Post by Serendipity » Sun Jul 23, 2023 1:20 pm

I put in a really pretty new emerald green shell for my crabs, and both Mango and Coconut (Both my medium sized crabs) tried it on but took it off, although Coconut had to try it on and take it off like five times before finally deciding he liked it! Honestly I think the crabs are just indecisive and can't figure out if they like the new shell better or not! :D So overall I think it's okay for crabs to switch shells all the time, like you guys said earlier, it's like they are just trying to find there favorite shell. :crabbigsmile:
My three purple pinchers: Coconut- Male, medium. Mango- Female, medium. Blueberry- Female, small.

I'm not lazy- I'm just highly motivated to do nothing. ;)

Prayingmatis

Post by Prayingmatis » Tue Jul 25, 2023 9:21 pm

One of mine kept doing that too
Beam Me Up Scotty