how to turn hermie cage warm without a heater and it humid without crab humidifier?

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author
allamericancrab

how to turn hermie cage warm without a heater and it humid without crab humidifier?

Post by allamericancrab » Tue Oct 03, 2023 4:44 pm

i got her a soaking pad for her to get moisture on her when she sits on it but i heard they need it to be humid to breathe…
i run my humidifier close to her cage (it’s a cage not a tank so it has openings)
AND it’s blazing in my apartment so is that good enough?
please help 😭😭
I’m a perfect All American Crab!” -Olivia Crabrigo

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Re: how to turn hermie cage warm without a heater and it humid without crab humidifier?

Post by curlysister » Tue Oct 03, 2023 7:15 pm

You will need a thermometer and hygrometer to measure the temperature and humidity inside the tank - this is not an optional item. Once you know the current temp and humidity, you will know how much you need to do to get to proper conditions.

If you haven't looked at the care sheets yet, read through the 'basics' one to start. It outlines everything you need to successfully care for crabs. A cage probably won't work, you will need a tank.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

Topic author
allamericancrab

Re: how to turn hermie cage warm without a heater and it humid without crab humidifier?

Post by allamericancrab » Tue Oct 03, 2023 7:19 pm

thank u 😭
money is tight right now so which one of those is the HIGHEST priority? i love my hermie so much i don’t want it to die :(

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Tue Oct 03, 2023 10:18 pm

Watch Markeplace or local buy and sell groups for a cheap used fish tank. If you only have one crab, a ten or twenty gallon will be big enough. It doesn't even need to be water tight. Or have a lid - you can put plastic wrap on the top to hold humidity in.
A hygrometer/ thermometer combo is less than ten dollars most places - Acurite is a popular digital brand that is good.
Play sand is less than ten dollars for a 50 pound bag at most hardware stores.

Did you look at the Basics care sheet?
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

CrabbyLover77

Post by CrabbyLover77 » Tue Oct 03, 2023 10:23 pm

A tank and a thermometer/hygrometer are both essential. They do need moisture in the air to breath, and a tank helps keep it nice and humid. If you can't get a glass lid, you can get a mesh top for the tank and completely wrap it in saran wrap to keep the humidity high. If you can't afford a large tank, even a 10 gal will do as a starter tank. A cage will let all of the humidity escape, and cages are much too small for a hermit to be comfortable in. You also can't keep the substrate deep enough in a cage. You'll need the thermometer/hygrometer to know what the actual temp and humidity is.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

"Hunting is not a sport. In a sport, both sides should know they're in the game." -Paul Rodriguez-
https://www.etsy.com/shop/BigBeausBouti ... form-mcnav

Topic author
allamericancrab

Post by allamericancrab » Thu Oct 05, 2023 4:59 pm

ok so I got a 5 gal today for my hermie!! it has TINY holes that are easy to cover to trap humidity! got a thermometer and humidifier measurer!! i can’t find a real humidifier so can i just mist the tank then trap it?

Topic author
allamericancrab

Post by allamericancrab » Thu Oct 05, 2023 5:02 pm

also ps, the hermit is small so a 5 gal is big for her :D

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Thu Oct 05, 2023 7:22 pm

A 5 gallon is still pretty small and there isn't much room once you get everything you need in there with the crab- you will want to watch for a larger tank so you can upgrade soon.

What are your current temperature and humidity readings?

Topic author
allamericancrab

Post by allamericancrab » Thu Oct 05, 2023 7:40 pm

At the best heat, but a sad 40 percent humidity level that’s slowly rising… how do i raise it? I have a humidifier going and multiple damp towels on top of the lid that has small holes. I’m going to here a mister soon.

CrabbyLover77

Post by CrabbyLover77 » Thu Oct 05, 2023 7:43 pm

allamericancrab wrote:At the best heat, but a sad 40 percent humidity level that’s slowly rising… how do i raise it? I have a humidifier going and multiple damp towels on top of the lid that has small holes. I’m going to here a mister soon.
You'll want to wrap the lid completely in saran wrap. That will help seal in the moisture. They will get air exchange when you do tank maintenance. The towels are porous, so they won't hold the humidity in. Is your substrate moistened to sand castle consistency using dechlorinated fresh or marine salt water? With moist substrate and the lid completely sealed, it should raise the humidity quite a bit.

"Hunting is not a sport. In a sport, both sides should know they're in the game." -Paul Rodriguez-

Topic author
allamericancrab

Post by allamericancrab » Thu Oct 05, 2023 7:45 pm

it came moistened luckily but i do t have Saran Wrap… is there something else i can use?

esteinwonderland

Re: how to raise humidity!! PLEASE!!

Post by esteinwonderland » Thu Oct 05, 2023 8:42 pm

ok so update! it’s now at 60 percent :D
current crabs: este! (once named lana, later changed)

CrabbyLover77

Post by CrabbyLover77 » Thu Oct 05, 2023 9:32 pm

If you don't have a glass lid, or Plexiglass to put on top, saran wrap is the next best thing. It is non-porous, and will trap in all the moisture.

Topic author
allamericancrab

Post by allamericancrab » Thu Oct 05, 2023 9:33 pm

ok but what can i use in the meantime while i do not have Saran Wrap?

CrabbyLover77

Post by CrabbyLover77 » Thu Oct 05, 2023 9:38 pm

Oops I'm sorry, I thought you said you did have saran wrap. Do you have aluminum foil? That would probably work too.