Petition against painted shells...

Older topics that are in the process of being sorted and moved into the appropriate Archived sections below.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Mon Apr 10, 2006 9:33 pm

Valid point.

I don't think pet stores will stop carrying painted shells. People who really like hermit crabs as animals prefer to see them in natural shells, but everyone else thinks it's cute to paint on them. That's probably very appealing. In fact, I had a hermit crab once that had a shell with a stripe painted down the middle of it. My brother drew an "8" on his shell with a Sharpie and named him Speedy because he looked like a race car. So I guess to other people, these little guys are just decorations.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Mon Apr 10, 2006 10:00 pm

I heard of some stories that they did stop selling them. Were they in this topic?

Topic author

Post by Guest » Mon Apr 10, 2006 10:05 pm

Haven't heard about that. Though three of my four were wearing natural shells when I got them.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Fri Jun 23, 2006 1:29 pm

My sisters micro came in a natural shell. The rest of mine and her other one were boardwalk crabs, so they came in painted shels. I have various painted shells, just to look at on a shelf in my room. Here in a few days I am going to buy some new natural ones.

Topic author
MushroomKitty

Post by MushroomKitty » Thu Jun 29, 2006 6:44 pm

Sadly I have no choice but to buy my crabbies in painted shells. I get them from a man with a thick island accent who owns a little booth at the local shopping center that kids go to see movies at and hang out.

He's a very kind and understanding person though.. I wonder if maybe I could talk him into using natural shells. Maybe give him some of my shells that are too small for my other crabbies. *strokes chin*

Topic author

Post by Guest » Thu Jul 06, 2006 9:19 am

I got my hermies from Petco, and I guessed the paint on some of those crabs was hurting them based on the simple fact that if people don't like to have paint on them, why should crabs?

Topic author

Post by Guest » Thu Jul 06, 2006 3:29 pm

MushroomKitty wrote:He's a very kind and understanding person though.. I wonder if maybe I could talk him into using natural shells. Maybe give him some of my shells that are too small for my other crabbies. *strokes chin*
that sounds like a good idea. :D

Topic author

Post by Guest » Mon Jul 24, 2006 9:56 pm

i only use painted shells nothing against natural ones i just dont know where to get them............im not stupid, as i said in other ariticles,im new to hermies!!!

i'll try to condensethe number of painted ones i use and increase my number of natural shells.

if any ideas on where to get shells in PA let me know in my article IM NEW TO HERMIES AND I NEED ANSWERS!!!

I'LL BE CHECKING!!!!

Topic author
hermiegirl

Post by hermiegirl » Tue Jul 25, 2006 7:59 am

If you look under the shopping link ----> you'll see several good places to get hermie supplies. By far, the most recommended shell shopping place is www.naplesseashellcompany.com. They have the best selection and quality of shells, plus the owner of it is more than willing to help you find something specifically. They have a special hermit crab section, so you don't have to guess on what size opening the shells have. They tell you what sizes they have for that shell and how they measure their openings so you can do it yourself and get an accurate measurement. :) You should definately try them. I got a lot of shells my first time buying any for $12 US with shipping included. :)

Topic author

Post by Guest » Tue Aug 08, 2006 10:40 pm

this whole painted shell thing is ridiculous. come on people. do you think they paint the shells while the crabs are in them? no. they paint 'em, dry 'em, seal 'em, THEN offer them to the crabs. if they're done right, they won't peel. and they're no more dangerous than plastic plants. you think your crabs aren't picking those apart and eating little pieces of them? they are. and they'll be fine.

i'm all about being kind and taking care of animals, but now this is becoming liberal hippie talk!

Topic author

Post by Guest » Wed Aug 09, 2006 7:14 am

i knew painted shells were bad from the start!! URG!

Topic author

Post by Guest » Wed Aug 09, 2006 8:55 am

I've been meaning to post this...

So far, out of all the crab's I've purchased, which is roughly 25 (guess) I've had 3 die total.

One died most likely because of poor conditions I was keeping them in before I knew better. The other two died of PPS. The other two were the only two I have ever purchased in a painted shell.

I know some people here have bought crabs in painted shells and have them switch and live on - or have them not switch and live on. However, I've decided that no matter how pitiful a crab looks in that painted shell, I can't buy them and save them. They just die anyway.

I'm just saying, my experience with painted shells has been horrible, watching them slowly die days after I get them.

Kilimanjaro

Post by Kilimanjaro » Fri Aug 11, 2006 3:55 pm

i gladfully signed this petition. i am always natural, but for some reason i can never find hermit crabs in stores with natural shells. i provide only natural shells for the crab, so that way they can live a healthy life. i dont ever think painted shells will be banned, since it is a big money maker. it's just good that all of us crabbers prefer to have natural shells so they can be healthy.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Sun Sep 17, 2006 11:35 am

wouldent there be a kind of non-toxic paint thats non-toxic to the crabs? just a thought, but there are all natural paints made from things like berries and plants... im am kinda opposed to the shells that have loads of paint that chip and are toxic and come with all sorts of health problems. what about enamel? wouldn't that work? it IS completly permenent and if you let it sit for more than the required time it normally wont chip?

I have all natural shells in my tank, they are very pretty, and make me happy. i have one that has a natural flame on it.. its a browinsh black shell with red rim that looks like fire.. and if you want the decorative shells ya just gotta look hard enough, im sure that if ya did you could find a natural shell that has a really really pretty colour pattern that looks like it was painted on! i saw a natural one that looked kinda like a lady bug!

Topic author

Olive

Post by Guest » Mon Oct 09, 2006 3:02 pm

i think they might get sick from them so i dont like them all that much :faroah: