crusty white crab came up

Please post here if you are having a crab care emergency! Use a real subject and not just "HELP!"

Topic author

Post by Guest » Wed May 17, 2006 10:46 am

have u tried rinsing him off with water? maybe the stuff will just fall off or flake off with rinsing. or, use a wet quetip and try to wipe some of it off, if it can.

Topic author

rinse molter? eyestalks

Post by Guest » Wed May 17, 2006 12:09 pm

I was afraid to rinse off a freshly molted crab. One more thing that I just noticed about him is that his eye stalks are orange-brown which I think is a new feature. Anyone knows what that means?

Topic author

Post by Guest » Wed May 17, 2006 12:30 pm

He really is a nice looking crab! Does he also have a lot of sand on him in the picture? I just want to be sure what I am looking at. I do see some white on the legs... (I still wouldn't know what it is but just in case it ever happens to me, I have 3 new Es)

I was wondering the same about washing him off or taking a Qtip and seeing if it will come off like that BUT I really don't have the experience to even suggest it is ok to do.

Topic author

rinsed him

Post by Guest » Wed May 17, 2006 12:32 pm

Ok, I rinsed him in the saltwater, but now I am really scared because one of his "feet" has turned black and looks rotten! Should I iso him?

HERMEZ

Post by HERMEZ » Wed May 17, 2006 1:02 pm

ISO and buy the medicinal bath......

http://cgi.ebay.com/Medicinal-Herb-Bath ... dZViewItem
CrAbBy aNd PrOuD
crabbin since 2005.

Topic author

I know this sounds crazy

Post by Guest » Wed May 17, 2006 1:07 pm

I know this sounds crazy. . . but has anyone ever amputated a bad leg?

Topic author

Post by Guest » Wed May 17, 2006 1:08 pm

Jedi ... you saw the other post that Chestersmom was offering free vet help for this issue, right?

Just wanted to make sure. I can't remember if I saw your post there or not when I was reading ... if not look for the link in Emergency.

Topic author

vet

Post by Guest » Wed May 17, 2006 1:14 pm

Yes, I scanned through it, but it sounded like I need photos to go that route. I don't have my camera here today. Maybe I'll take a closer look at that thread.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Wed May 17, 2006 1:17 pm

I think you need to have really good photos to get the help. I can't remember... are your crabs at work or at home?

I hope everything turns out ok for you. I'll keep watching this post to see how things are going.

Good luck.

Topic author

keep at work

Post by Guest » Wed May 17, 2006 1:32 pm

Keep crabs at work. I did contact Chestersmom. Hopefully I can post her some new photos tomorrow and she can tell me what is going on.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Wed May 17, 2006 2:39 pm

you may try some melafix, it is for fish to help them repair fins and such, but folks here have recommended it for crabs too. Majorly weaken the melafix by pouring a little bit into a cup of water, if he won't out stretch his leg so you can dip it, take a quetip and rub a little on that bad leg a few times. i had a thread in here about one of my crabs big P appearing to be partially crushed after he molted and folks recommended melafix and the medicinal bath. he really hasn't changed. i hope he molts soon and fixes it.

Topic author

melafix

Post by Guest » Thu May 18, 2006 4:54 pm

Well, I just read a thread on another forum stating that there are clinical trials being conducted by a vet on this problem and that I need to get photos of the bad leg to Sue at once. There was also a warning about using melafix or tea tree oil on crabs w/out this vet in order to gather better info to help develope an established proceedure for treating this ailment that will benefit the whole crab community.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Mon May 22, 2006 10:21 am

How is your crabbie now? Are you sure that its not some sort of deficiency? When crabbies shed, if they have a deficiency it will cause them to have a really light and pasty complexion. Just an idea...

Topic author

update on rotten foot

Post by Guest » Mon May 22, 2006 4:53 pm

Well, they think it is some sort of bacterial infection and the bottom segment has pretty much crumbled away and there may be developing another spot on the next segment, but he's darkening up all over so it is hard to say. I'm going to keep close watch. I'm trying to gather the herbs for the medicinal bath, but have only found loose chamomile. This morning I made a bath of chamomile and salt, but still need to acquire the other herbs. His activity is still normal and he remains friendly. Hopefully I can save the rest of his leg. Some have said that his peach color could be a deficiency of sunlight. Our office has big windows, but it might not be enough natural light. I know my fish vase gets algae, so it gets enough natural light. . . the crab's diet is varied and I think I understand their nutritional needs, basically. I think I have at least one other molter, so I'm anxious to see how the others look when they come up. One of my E's makes an appearance once a day and I check him over thoroughly (which is probably why he burries himself again).

Topic author

Post by Guest » Mon May 22, 2006 5:58 pm

Do they think it can be sucessfully treated? When will he be out of the danger period?