Petition against painted shells...

Older topics that are in the process of being sorted and moved into the appropriate Archived sections below.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Fri Dec 15, 2006 5:52 pm

have two with painted shells and one natural

:o me to :o

burnin4Christ

Painted Shells

Post by burnin4Christ » Fri Feb 02, 2007 2:44 pm

i had 2 buy my hermie w/ a pianted shell bcause they didn't have any others. i am trying 2 get her 2 change out of it but she likes it 4 now. she did changed but i left it in there cause that's wat i was told 2 do and now she's back in it. i decided 2 sign the petition so pet stores can stop selling painted shells. i actually prefer natural.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Fri Apr 20, 2007 10:35 pm

Before I even knew painted shells were bad, I still didn't get them. They make the crab seem more like a toy rather than a live creature with specific needs and care. Plus any-way, I love natural shells, before I had crabs I collected them at the beach, which is part of the reason I got hermit crabs, I love just about any exotic creatures as well.

Topic author

No more painted shells!

Post by Guest » Fri Jun 22, 2007 12:01 am

I have a five year old daughter who we thought loved the painted shells that her hermies came in, that is until they changed over to natural shells. Now she brags and goes on and on about how much more beautiful and healthy they look now.

Topic author
hermiefanatic

Post by hermiefanatic » Wed Jul 25, 2007 4:53 pm

i have this one pp who is in a painted shell. HE WILL NOT MOVE OUT!!! he has shells bigger and smaller and the same size as them. he isnt glued in he has molted b4.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Sat Oct 06, 2007 1:28 pm

hermitcrabby wrote:I think the petition against painted shells is a good idea! :idea:

I agree they shouldn't have painted shells :)

Crabbing Since August 07
2 purple pinchers
4 ecuadorians

Topic author

Post by Guest » Sat Oct 27, 2007 5:20 am

I just have to say this: I am sooo happy that my oldest PP finally changed out of his seriously ugly painted shell into a beautiful natural shell that looks spectacular on him!

Topic author

Post by Guest » Sun Oct 28, 2007 7:38 pm

I finally got my only crab in a painted shell out of it a couple weeks ago. It was strange, he was in a green painted shell, now, he only wears naturally green shells. He tried on everyone in the tank before he chose one. Sadly, I think he liked the painted one. :|

Painted shells are wicked, designed to make money.

Side effects may include: crab getting poisoned, crab dying from stress, and crab dieing from ingesting large amounts of chipping paint.

:x

Topic author

Post by Guest » Mon Oct 29, 2007 3:29 am

My oldest PP was very reluctant to leave his painted shell also. He switched back and forth from his old one to the new one for an entire night until he finally settled in the new one.

Topic author

painted shells

Post by Guest » Tue Dec 18, 2007 6:53 pm

Wow, I didn't know the painted ones were bad.
I'm just glad all the shells full or empty we got were natural.
I think the paint is tacky.

-Oh, and I just bought two empty shells from Petsmart that were so colorful naturally that the cashier rang them up as painted. I had to convince her that they weren't in order to not to be charged the extra $1.50@!

Topic author

Post by Guest » Mon Jan 21, 2008 11:56 pm

Yesterday, my sister and I started talking about my hermies, and she got SO excited over the idea of painting and decorating some shells for them. I'm talkin' glitter, rhinestones, paint, all sorts of things.. Today she actually went to Hobby Lobby and bought all these things!! I'll feel sooo bad to tell her I can't allow my crabs to have shells like that, as she and I are artsy people and she was really looking forward to becoming my "personal crab designer". But, it's for the best..

Topic author

Post by Guest » Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:33 am

If you really want to make designs on shells, get very thick shells and see if you can carve designs on them. It's completely safe, and I'm sure that some already beautiful natural shells could be made into magnificent pieces of art.

starmaiden

Post by starmaiden » Tue Jan 22, 2008 1:34 am

ColleenS wrote:Yesterday, my sister and I started talking about my hermies, and she got SO excited over the idea of painting and decorating some shells for them. I'm talkin' glitter, rhinestones, paint, all sorts of things.. Today she actually went to Hobby Lobby and bought all these things!! I'll feel sooo bad to tell her I can't allow my crabs to have shells like that, as she and I are artsy people and she was really looking forward to becoming my "personal crab designer". But, it's for the best..
Awww! :( I feel bad for your sister! But she can decorate your tat! (not with rhinestones and glitter of course) Its fun to plan out the tank decorations. She could also do some shells with glitter and rhinestones to be decorations on the outside of your tank. You could sit them on the shelf next to the tank to add to the beachy decor.

hermietastic

Post by hermietastic » Tue Jan 22, 2008 2:26 pm

Yea, when my little bro found out how bad painted shells are and how to take care of hermies, he is always like, "Painted shells are bad for crabs, aren't they Caitin?" (He has a speech problem and calls be Cay-tin insted of Caitlin, LOL) He also will freak out when he sees a bad tank. The crabs were his at first, but now their definitly MINE!! :twisted: He will check on them every once in a while, but they are not a pet for kids under 8. :P
2 Bombina Orentalis
2 Eublepharis macularius
5 Coenobita clypeatus

Topic author

Post by Guest » Thu Mar 27, 2008 5:11 pm

About half of the crabs we have purchased have been in painted shells and all but one have changed into a natural shell within the first day. Diva is the only one left in her painted shell and I think she wants out of it. She goes to the shells every night but never ends up changing. I think she needs a shell with a wider opening, so I'm going to have to order one online. One of our crabs changed shells within the first hour of putting him in the tank. It's been very clear to me that the crabs prefer a natural shell.