What's on today's menu & recipe sharing ~2008~

For any and all questions about feeding, diet and different foods. Questions and posts about purchasing from stores should be made in the Shopping section.

Post by Guest » Sun Nov 02, 2008 10:34 pm

A special Halloween meal, pumpkin, mmmm. They've never gone too nuts over pumpkin but I feed it a few times a year, they eat it.

Post by Guest » Sun Nov 09, 2008 11:43 pm

This is an old photo, but it's the food I'm serving tonight. This is green eggs and it's a staple for my crabs. It's one egg dropped into a food processor (shell and all) with 1/8 t. spirulina powder, blended and scrambled with coconut oil. The crabs adore it, especially after a few days in the refrigerator, and it's packed with good nutrients.

Post by Guest » Fri Nov 21, 2008 1:09 pm

Last night they had veggie stir fry--field greens, spinach, carrots, peas, bell pepper, and green beans cooked in olive oil, served over brown rice with crushed almonds and krill sprinkled on top.

Chompman

Post by Chompman » Fri Nov 21, 2008 11:40 pm

I did something like Laura_B had posted since it's been awhile they have had egg.

I tossed in a whole egg, half a dozen pecans and walnuts each, some coconut since I don't have the oil itself, part of a rice cake they get in their dry food dish sometimes, about 3 decent sized shrimp, and a few scoops from the container that has about a dozen dry herbs and powders that they get in their dry food dish.

I gave them a decent amount and froze the rest so there is enough for about 6 or 7 more times whenever I feel like giving them it.

I just pray they don't drag a bunch of it on their shells and get it all over the tank since it stank enough just in the dish. :D

Topic author
Tetracolor

Post by Tetracolor » Wed Dec 03, 2008 6:49 pm

Tonight they had..
Cooked collard greens with soy nuts. With honey and "Sunflower Surprise" (from the Addiction Store) on the side. Sprinkled with Astaxanthin powder. Yum! :D
Crabbing for 6 years now.
15 PPs, 1 Beardie

Kilimanjaro

Post by Kilimanjaro » Wed Dec 03, 2008 7:01 pm

Laura_B wrote:This is green eggs
Where's the ham? :lol:

CallaLily

Post by CallaLily » Wed Dec 03, 2008 8:56 pm

I've been kind of lazy lately so haven't done anything more than dry foods and occasionally tossing in fresh veggies/fruits. Tonight I felt like cooking for my crabs. :D

Scrambled egg with shell, broccoli slaw, and brown rice cooked in olive oil. A side of granny smith applesauce (all natural, no sugar or cinnamon added). They also have a dish of dry foods. A little each of THHC's Bugs & Nuts, TCP's worm castings, THHC's bee pollen, and hermit-crabs.com recipe. Plus some bamboo I snagged on Thanksgiving from my SIL's.

megs
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by megs » Sun Dec 07, 2008 11:51 pm

Tonight's dinner was brought to us by the letter B...
Bok choy, Beef, Baby carrots, Blackberries, Barley and Buttercup squash. 8)
"Nothing divides one so much as thought." - R. H. Blyth

"Sometimes the picture just ain't what it seems. You get what you want, but it's not what you need..."

Post by Guest » Mon Dec 08, 2008 3:39 am

Tonight my guys had Apple chunks, grapes, and cherries so far. I am about to go scramble them up an egg with some olive oil!

Post by Guest » Tue Dec 09, 2008 4:26 pm

Last night's dinner was called:
What you put together when you are panicking because they can hardly have anything you have in the house!!! :hlol:

Mix: raisins, tomato chunks, oats, and organic cocoa powder!

MudCrabDude

Post by MudCrabDude » Tue Dec 09, 2008 4:34 pm

hermielover10 wrote:Last night's dinner was called:
What you put together when you are panicking because they can hardly have anything you have in the house!!! :hlol:

Mix: raisins, tomato chunks, oats, and organic cocoa powder!
Waitaminute! Isn't cocoa on the unsafe food list? :shock:

viewtopic.php?t=64005

Post by Guest » Tue Dec 09, 2008 5:02 pm

:? not organic...

MudCrabDude

Post by MudCrabDude » Tue Dec 09, 2008 6:50 pm

hermielover10 wrote::? not organic...
Does not matter.

Edit: This is probably the reason why -
Toxicity in animals
Main article: theobromine poisoning
In sufficient amounts, the theobromine found in chocolate is toxic to non-human animals such as horses, dogs, parrots, small rodents, and cats because they are unable to metabolise the chemical effectively.[24] If they are fed chocolate, the theobromine will remain in their bloodstream for up to 20 hours, and these animals may experience epileptic seizures, heart attacks, internal bleeding, and eventually death. Medical treatment involves inducing vomiting within two hours of ingestion, or contacting a veterinarian.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chocolate# ... in_animals
Theobromine is the primary alkaloid found in cocoa and chocolate.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theobromine

Regardless of being organic or not, it will contain this chemical.

Post by Guest » Wed Dec 10, 2008 8:33 am

Okay, :oops: now I know... but I only put a little in and everybody's molting now so nobody ate it... But thanks for the info Joel, like I said, I was just panicking because there was practically nothing in the house! I must have just missed it... :oops: :oops: :oops:

CallaLily

Post by CallaLily » Sun Dec 14, 2008 6:31 pm

Tonight's meal is "peach crisp". A warm slice of peach drizzled with honey and topped with rolled oats. They also get a chunk of coconut and a side of dried foods (bugs and nuts, worm castings, calcium-rich homemade food,and a sprinkle of bee pollen).