Crickets in Tank

For the discussion of any creepy crawlies that may have taken up residence in your tank, including mites. Please note that isopods have their own forum.

Topic author
Dog Lips

Post by Dog Lips » Fri Mar 06, 2009 3:06 pm

Yeah, I took out the crickets. Not an easy job, But i got all the males out. (no sounds from tank now) I think there's still a couple Females running around so i guess I'll leave them be. Just hope they don't lay eggs. Are Crickets Asexual or do they need a Male cricket to....uh....well, you know.

And it's funny, I saw a cricket in the salt water pool and I thought it was dead. But it was just swimming in there. And it liked it.....odd. oh well.

The captured ones are frozen now. Mwuhahahahahaha.
^^^^^^^^^^^^|II ___
| ______________ l '|""";..,l ____
|_…_…______===|= _|__|…, ] |=
"(@ )'(@ )""""*|(@ )(@ )*****(@)

NotaMallard

Post by NotaMallard » Fri Mar 06, 2009 7:11 pm

The females that are left are almost definitely pregnant. They'll be laying eggs. Be prepared for a HUGE influx of baby crickets in a few weeks, one female can make hundreds of babies. You'll find mass amounts drowned in your pools, and others hopping and climbing everywhere. So be prepared.
I've got a zoo in my house. I should charge admission.

Topic author
Dog Lips

Post by Dog Lips » Sat Mar 07, 2009 3:21 pm

Well, I'm dead sure now I got all the crickets out.....Nothing going on in the tank so....yeah.
^^^^^^^^^^^^|II ___
| ______________ l '|""";..,l ____
|_…_…______===|= _|__|…, ] |=
"(@ )'(@ )""""*|(@ )(@ )*****(@)

MamaZelly

Post by MamaZelly » Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:17 pm

I tried this. They ate all of Nar's food before the crabs did, escaped through the tiniest crevices, and basically made a nuisance of themselves. The really little crabs would sometimes stalk them, but the big guys totally ignored them.

I was the one trying desperately to get them out! I only caught 6 or 8 of the dang things, but my salt levels were such that the eggs never hatched (I use salt water to rehydrate the EE, and salt-water schpritz the greenery and wood objects to prevent mold). If they did hatch, the little ones couldn't make it in the salt-heavy environment. Over the course of about two months they all vanished.

Good riddance, says I! I won't do that again.
ZellyBelly, Mama to Sophie & Gus (the human babies).

tojo

Post by tojo » Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:49 pm

Dog Lips, doesn't the chirping keep u up at night??? :lol: :)

tojo

Post by tojo » Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:50 pm

tojo wrote:Dog Lips, doesn't the chirping keep u up at night??? :lol: :)
ah u got rid of them lol

tojo

Post by tojo » Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:52 pm

NotaMallard wrote:The females that are left are almost definitely pregnant. They'll be laying eggs. Be prepared for a HUGE influx of baby crickets in a few weeks, one female can make hundreds of babies. You'll find mass amounts drowned in your pools, and others hopping and climbing everywhere. So be prepared.
Nota....what the heck is that avatar???? :hlol:

Justin

Post by Justin » Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:10 pm

Triple post. Great job! :P I have to deal with crickets in my Leopard Gecko tank and my Water dragon tank.

tojo

Post by tojo » Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:00 pm

In college, I owned a tarantula, it luv'd crickets lolol