Eco Earth or Bed-A-Beast?

For presenting do-it-yourself projects for your crabitat and for discussing and displaying custom built crabitats. Also for questions and reviews on equipment and products. *Stores and their reviews now have their own section in Classifieds*

Better substrate

Poll ended at Sat May 30, 2009 11:14 am

Eco Earth
78%
Bed-A-Beast
22%

Total votes: 18

Topic author
Shivering Isles

Eco Earth or Bed-A-Beast?

Post by Shivering Isles » Mon May 25, 2009 11:14 am

I have no idea which to pick. please tell me why you like which ever one you pick. tell me about it please! good and bad stuff
"Some things start out big, and some things start out small, very small. But sometimes the smallest thing can make the biggest changes of all."
-Plio from Dinosaur

poncho

Post by poncho » Mon May 25, 2009 11:42 am

I have only used the EE and does great for me ...it breaks up very nice and seems to be good and soft and my crabbies love it :wink:
wife to very patient husband,mommy to three little ones
PPs Es Violas
Strawberries
Blueberries
Indos

hermiegirl

Post by hermiegirl » Mon May 25, 2009 11:50 am

My crabs are totally in love with EE, plus it helps with humidity so much more than sand.

Mr.Krabs

Post by Mr.Krabs » Mon May 25, 2009 5:27 pm

EE! so good :)

tojo

Post by tojo » Mon May 25, 2009 5:34 pm

EE seems to be the popular one with the crabs. Please someone educate me on bed a beast.

Part of my tat i'm trying crushed walnut shells. It's very fine where you can actually sift it, they can dig under when it's moist, it's surprisingly soft to the touch. I find my crabs taking a nibble of the crushed walnut shells from time to time.

HERMEZ

no to bed a beast

Post by HERMEZ » Tue May 26, 2009 7:54 am

Bed a beast is a no no as chestersmom a crabber on here did research and found it contained soil (peat moss?) which has lead to bacterial infections! Not sure if the product has changed. The thread is in archieves here somewhere
CrAbBy aNd PrOuD
crabbin since 2005.

Post by Guest » Tue May 26, 2009 1:32 pm

Here's an odd one out....I only use Forest Bed by T-Rex, and yes there IS a difference! I find it is the best coco fiber substrate on the market....but that's only my opinion. 8)

poncho

Post by poncho » Tue May 26, 2009 1:59 pm

I think that is the stuff I use to Okie I get mine at Meijer now that I think about 8)
PPs Es Violas
Strawberries
Blueberries
Indos

tojo

Post by tojo » Tue May 26, 2009 8:12 pm

poncho wrote:I think that is the stuff I use to Okie I get mine at Meijer now that I think about 8)
which Meijer ponch? ;), just curious, not the one on Sawmill?

poncho

Post by poncho » Tue May 26, 2009 8:14 pm

The one in Grovecity on 665 it is new and they have crabbie stuff and heat lights :wink:
PPs Es Violas
Strawberries
Blueberries
Indos

Kilimanjaro

Re: no to bed a beast

Post by Kilimanjaro » Tue May 26, 2009 8:21 pm

HERMEZ wrote:Bed a beast is a no no as chestersmom a crabber on here did research and found it contained soil (peat moss?) which has lead to bacterial infections! Not sure if the product has changed. The thread is in archieves here somewhere
I'm not sure if that is a problem anymore. :wink: I recently purchased some Bed-A-Beast and emailed them about the product. They told me that it was 100% coconut fiber. :) I haven't had any trouble with it.

Topic author
Shivering Isles

Post by Shivering Isles » Tue May 26, 2009 9:37 pm

I am using bed a beast becuzz that is all they had at petsmart. my crabs love it!
"Some things start out big, and some things start out small, very small. But sometimes the smallest thing can make the biggest changes of all."
-Plio from Dinosaur

Kilimanjaro

Post by Kilimanjaro » Tue May 26, 2009 9:42 pm

Exotic Crabby wrote:I am using bed a beast becuzz that is all they had at petsmart. my crabs love it!
:) I prefer Eco-Earth to Bed-A-Beast, but I'll use either. The pet store I went to only had Bed-A-Beast, and thus I managed to relieve some tension between crabbers and the makers of Bed-A-Beast. :)

limeslide

Post by limeslide » Tue May 26, 2009 10:03 pm

I found rocks and leaves in the Eco-earth i used. So i don't use it much. I use Bed-a-Beast.
If all mankind were to disappear, the world would regenerate back to
the rich state of equilibrium that existed ten thousand years ago.
If insects were to vanish, the environment would collapse into Chaos
"
-E.O. Wilson

crabby10

Post by crabby10 » Thu May 28, 2009 11:35 pm

I like bed-a-beast better because i could not find EE when i went to the store