radical ruggie changes

This is a forum dedicated to Hermit Crab Association members posting pictures of their crabs and crabitats.

Topic author
annopia

radical ruggie changes

Post by annopia » Sun May 23, 2010 4:55 pm

the ruggies have been changing so much lately, its been crazy! i can hardly believe the changes....but they are the same crabs, i assure you they are.

Mallow one, my canadians:

before:

after:

Bones, another canadian:

before:

after:

Vendetta:

before:

after:

Caroline
26 LHC: 6 PPs, 5 Es, 1 Straw, 6 Ruggies, 2 Indos, 1 Blueberry, 4 Violas, 1 Aussie

tlivs

Post by tlivs » Sun May 23, 2010 5:09 pm

wow thats crazy!
they definitely do look like different crabs
arthur, charlie, ralph, hunter and oliver
rip. benjamin

Topic author
annopia

Post by annopia » Tue May 25, 2010 3:57 am

thanks guys...unfortunately its looking like the most recent molt has had a big negative impact on Mallow. maybe because of the radical change? twice ive seen her in the salt water dish, almost all the way of of her shell, and had to get her out. she seems to perk up but im afraid its just a matter of time until she passes.

Caroline
26 LHC: 6 PPs, 5 Es, 1 Straw, 6 Ruggies, 2 Indos, 1 Blueberry, 4 Violas, 1 Aussie

Rosepetalbed

Post by Rosepetalbed » Tue May 25, 2010 6:48 am

WOW that's awesome to be able to see the differences like that :D I have a new camera I got for my birthday I trully need to use it more :hlol:

Awesome Pictures your crabbies are beautiful ! :D
125 Gallon tank with 54 crabs ...E's PP'S,Violas,Rugs, And Indo's

MudCrabDude

Post by MudCrabDude » Tue May 25, 2010 4:06 pm

annopia wrote:thanks guys...unfortunately its looking like the most recent molt has had a big negative impact on Mallow. maybe because of the radical change? twice ive seen her in the salt water dish, almost all the way of of her shell, and had to get her out. she seems to perk up but im afraid its just a matter of time until she passes.

Caroline
Really? :( So sorry. [smilie=hug99.gif]

Hopefully, she'll pull out of it...sending good vibes your way
[smilie=luck.gif]

hlhiggs87

Post by hlhiggs87 » Tue May 25, 2010 4:11 pm

That's amazing!!
3 Cats- Teddy, Pippa, and baby Maggie
4 Parakeets - Baby, Kate, Jayden, and Jordan
11 PPs- Carly, Mr.Pinch, Henrietta, Lucky, April, Arwen, Hermione, Brian, Nemo, Dasher, and Noel

MudCrabDude

Post by MudCrabDude » Tue May 25, 2010 4:23 pm

A little off topic:

Caroline, when you were taking the pictures, how vigorously was Mallow fluttering her antennae?

Topic author
annopia

Post by annopia » Wed May 26, 2010 6:34 am

MudCrabDude wrote: Really? :( So sorry. [smilie=hug99.gif]

Hopefully, she'll pull out of it...sending good vibes your way
[smilie=luck.gif]
well, mallow is more active right now, but she's been in a shell fight and lost some segments of a walking leg. she has chosen a new shell though, which i take as a very positive sign.

Caroline

Topic author
annopia

Post by annopia » Wed May 26, 2010 6:36 am

MudCrabDude wrote:A little off topic:

Caroline, when you were taking the pictures, how vigorously was Mallow fluttering her antennae?
Mallow always has her feelers a flying, i think because she's nervous.

Caroline

MudCrabDude

Post by MudCrabDude » Wed May 26, 2010 3:59 pm

I think she's going to be just fine, too. Sorry about the lost leg segments. (Ouch).

On a side note, I've pretty much observed that my crabs who show little or no feeler movement after molts (even if they seem to have shed the exo perfectly) are the ones that eventually pass away after bad molts (my old pp Bully who passed away this past April and another pp that she actually attacked a year prior - they had little feeler movement, even if alarmed or when walking.)

So Mallow, apart from any other major fights, sounds like she's going to be okay. :)

Shivering Isles

Post by Shivering Isles » Wed May 26, 2010 8:31 pm

great pics! Seeing everybodies exotic crabbies ( LOL my name ) it makes me want some other species than PP! Dont get me wrong i absolutely love my pps though!!! Great COLOR CHANGES!
"Some things start out big, and some things start out small, very small. But sometimes the smallest thing can make the biggest changes of all."
-Plio from Dinosaur

Topic author
annopia

Post by annopia » Fri May 28, 2010 11:33 pm

unfortunatly, Mallow finally passed away today. i don't know if it was a molt or an attack :(

Caroline

Xyloart

Post by Xyloart » Sat May 29, 2010 1:00 am

So sorry to hear that. :(

Ellinj0206

Post by Ellinj0206 » Sat May 29, 2010 9:36 am

Great pictures. Really sorry to hear about Mallow. :(
Check out El's Shells: http://www.elsshells.com for all of your hermit crab food and shell needs!All-natural, certified organic food and an outstanding selection of shells and crabitat necessities---all at great prices!!

MudCrabDude

Post by MudCrabDude » Sat May 29, 2010 4:11 pm

annopia wrote:unfortunatly, Mallow finally passed away today. i don't know if it was a molt or an attack :(

Caroline
So sorry. :(

[smilie=hug99.gif]