What's on today's menu & recipe sharing ~2011~

For any and all questions about feeding, diet and different foods. Questions and posts about purchasing from stores should be made in the Shopping section.

zippity

Post by zippity » Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:55 pm

CallaLily wrote: I love the Island Vanilla....without milk. :lol:
That's how I eat it too! Hard on the teeth, but yummy! :D

zippity

Post by zippity » Sat Jun 04, 2011 8:32 am

Last night's menu:

dried mealworms
fresh coconut
fresh blackberries
fresh cherries
organic trail mix...cashews, dried banana, dried dates...

They're especially picky lately... :roll:

MudCrabDude

Post by MudCrabDude » Wed Jun 08, 2011 1:38 am

A piece of dragon fruit. Imported from Vietnam. Apparently he, my male brevimanus, loves it. :lol:

If any adverse effects come as a result, I'd document it here....:shock: Here's to hoping there isn't any.... :oops:

SoulLonely

Post by SoulLonely » Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:10 am

Last night I changed their bulky food bowls to a 7-day pill holder so i could see better that they like.

two pieces of corn (were gone in the morning!)
flax seed
oatmeal
cornmeal
Cocunut flakes (I think they ate some of this!)
commercial hermit crab food they seem to enjoy, using it up until it's gone
cuttle bone (which I think they munch on)

The other nights, I think they ate a bit of a honey nut cheerio and a flake from a diff. cereal, don't remember :shock:

Jcat

Post by Jcat » Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:50 am

Today is freeze dried shrimp, oats, freeze dried bloodworm, a small amount of fruit and flower food since they do love it, carrot, red pepper and celery leaves :) oh and some ground up cuttlebone.

zippity

Post by zippity » Thu Jun 09, 2011 3:52 pm

MudCrabDude, I had to google Dragon Fruit, since they are not common in Alabama. They sound delicious! I'm going to have to ask my Korean neighbors who have an asian grocery store if they carry them. Lucky crabbies!

zippity

Post by zippity » Thu Jun 09, 2011 3:59 pm

Last night's menu:

Fresh cricket
seaweed
peanut butter rolled in organic granola
banana
coconut

On a side note, I've been busting my brain trying to give my crabs a wide variety of different foods; have shopped locally at several different stores, ordered foods from the internet, gathered insects from the yard (no pesticides)...I've spent more time planning my hermit crabs' menus than my family's! :D So, last night, I woke up at midnight, grabbed a flashlight and went to check on the hermies...what do I see? Didier, in the moss pit, happily stuffing his face with...MOSS! :hlol: Oh well...tonight they're getting peanut butter and popcorn... :lol:

jmfx2

Post by jmfx2 » Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:01 pm

tonight they got a little bit of my sons pb&j
dried mango
trail mix
applesauce
broccoli
cherry
cracker

I have a little bit of the hermit crab cookies and honey in there from before - did not touch it!

jmfx2

Post by jmfx2 » Tue Jun 14, 2011 1:39 pm

When feeding hermits fish and meat should it be cooked or served raw???

piccolo41099

Post by piccolo41099 » Wed Jun 15, 2011 6:48 pm

They always have worm casings, and a mineral supplement avail.

Tonight they are also having:

HCP kibble
fresh rose
a little of beef roast (unseasoned, but cooked)
strawberries
blueberries
coconut - fresh
Wife to the love of my life, mommy to 5 boys and 2 girls and crab mama to 11 pp's, 2 straw's lovin' their new 90g home.

Shivering Isles

Post by Shivering Isles » Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:11 pm

Cherry Tomatoes
Grapes
Dried Mealworms
Shrimp Exos
Carrot strips
Calcium mix
Colour mix
Nut mix
"Some things start out big, and some things start out small, very small. But sometimes the smallest thing can make the biggest changes of all."
-Plio from Dinosaur

MudCrabDude

Post by MudCrabDude » Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:24 pm

Hibiscus blossom
Piece of fresh coconut meat (with part of husk/skin)

KrabbyKelly

Post by KrabbyKelly » Thu Jun 16, 2011 12:07 am

My KrabBabies got:
A fresh cherry
a chunk of watermelon
coconut
kale
corn
bloodworms-a favorite
dried shrimp

Jamescfjr

Post by Jamescfjr » Thu Jun 16, 2011 3:12 pm

Well, I'll update with a list of the last four days, since I've only been feeding hermit crabs for four days.

Sunday: Fresh slice of Apple
They loved it! They dragged it all over the tank, tearing little pieces off)

Monday: Sweet pepper and tomato.
This they did not like, though it may have had more to do with a new staple that I put in their food bowl. They did show me their displeasure with this by defecating all over it. Who says crabs don't communicate?

Tuesday: Dandelion greens, flowers and stems minced and served on a fresh Maple leaf.
Clack, at least, enjoyed this. I'm not sure how the others liked it. Clack decided that all of the food was his. He dug a cave below the staple food dish, came back out and dragged the food, leaf and all, down into the cave with him. :hlol:

Wednesday: Minced hard-boiled egg, shell and all with Sprinkled Spirulina on top.
All the crabs went absolutely bananas over this. Even Statler came out in when I was in the room to grab some! Of course, he grabbed a few pieces then retreated back into his hidey-hole with them. :D

Today will involve a strawberry, though I'm not sure what else (if anything) I'll include with it.

Edit:
I went outside to see about adding some flowers to the strawberry when I realized I have wild strawberry patches around the foundation of my house! I gathered some wild strawberries and mashed them a little. I added some FMR Land Hermit Crab Treat. I intentionally picked out good smelling ingredients today to counter-act the stench that resulted from yesterday's hard boiled egg.
6 PPs (6/12/11): Pinchy/Calypso (♀), Filo (♀), Clack (♂), Statler (♂), Petrie (♂), and Waldorf (♂).
Pinchy and Calypso turned out to be the same crab, pre-molt/post-molt.

NerezaIce

Fruity Meat Salad

Post by NerezaIce » Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:57 pm

Hey guys! Tonight I tried a new fresh food mix and so far it looks like my crabbies love it!

I have 6 hermit crabs, 1 of which is under ground at the moment so this was my mix

2 whole blueberries
2 slivers of carrot
1/2 pecan
1 small slice of celery
2 small drops of honey
a pinch of ground oyster shells
small piece of fish

I mixed all this in my mortar and pestle and ground it up into almost a paste like substance, took about 5 minutes, it made half a teaspoon.

*EDIT* Woke up this morning and the crabbies had almost eaten everything in the dish! So I think I found what they like. :D
Last edited by NerezaIce on Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Proud parent of:Pinky(PP), Brain(PP), Lennon(PP), Sebastian(PP), Nezera(PP), Ghost(PP), Shadow(E),Gonzales(PP),Gypsy(PP),Fiji(E),Eagle(E),Cobra(E)
Dachshunds- Maggie Mae, Molly Jo, Missy Ann