Is two enough?

Older topics that are in the process of being sorted and moved into the appropriate Archived sections below.

Topic author
quimbycub

Is two enough?

Post by quimbycub » Wed Jun 13, 2012 5:43 pm

I have two purple pinchers in a twenty gallon tank and was wondering, I keep hearing people say three is a minimum. Should I get a third? These guys are medium according to the bullseye size chart so I think there's enough space, they seem fine. Please let me know, I don't want them to be unhappy.

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Re: Is two enough?

Post by wodesorel » Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:06 pm

Two is fine! Carol Ormes, who had the longest lived hermit crabs in captivity, had only two for 34 years. :)
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

xcreamxsodax

Post by xcreamxsodax » Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:10 pm

With most members here, the question isn't usually is 2 enough, but how many more can they fit lol! as long as a hermit crab has a friend, you won't have any troubles :)
17 PPs: Hiccup, Dweeble, Drowsy, Link, Ganon, Zelda, Eve, Moe, Nightcrawler, Beast, Holah, Scrat, Picolo, Harry, Hermione, Ron & Hagrid
4 Strawberry: Turnip, Chili, Ipswitch & Spunky
2 E: Edward & Mikey

annopia

Post by annopia » Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:31 pm

two is definitely fine...and you are strong willed if you can stop there!

annopia
26 LHC: 6 PPs, 5 Es, 1 Straw, 6 Ruggies, 2 Indos, 1 Blueberry, 4 Violas, 1 Aussie

Topic author
quimbycub

Post by quimbycub » Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:13 pm

Whew, good. Now, would it be okay to put aother one in there? :wink:

annopia

Post by annopia » Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:17 pm

quimbycub wrote:Whew, good. Now, would it be okay to put aother one in there? :wink:
definitely! you could fit at least two or three more in there, provided they're not jumbos :D .

annopia
26 LHC: 6 PPs, 5 Es, 1 Straw, 6 Ruggies, 2 Indos, 1 Blueberry, 4 Violas, 1 Aussie

Topic author
quimbycub

Post by quimbycub » Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:22 pm

Cool. :) Thank you. I think I'll stick to two for now, but I'm glad to know I could get another if I decide to.

Lasuna

Post by Lasuna » Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:21 pm

hehe I'd be surprised if you stuck with two, I was originally only going to have two of them..... three more crabs later. XD
Six Crabs: Purple Pinchers: Horus(one molt), Anubis(one molt), Set(molting?). Ecuadorians: Geb(one molt) Sekhmet(Two Molts), Shu (molting?)
Two Asthmatic Cats: Ena, Una

GudaHermitCrab

Post by GudaHermitCrab » Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:37 am

Lasuna wrote:hehe I'd be surprised if you stuck with two, I was originally only going to have two of them..... three more crabs later. XD
I originally had one. Now I have two. Soon I'll have three...I'LL NEVER STOP!
Proud owner of 3 Purple Pinchers: Guda (2 molts), Kermit, Sebastian (1 molt)

~Crabby since September 2011~

Invert Mom

Post by Invert Mom » Thu Jun 14, 2012 4:40 pm

Personally I like keeping them in groups. Someone I adopted four from had two that always tend to hang out together though (I notice this here as well), so I'm sure a pair is fine as long as they get along well.
"Mom" of 7 rescued Hermit Crabs, 5 PP's, 2 E's

Lasuna

Post by Lasuna » Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:36 pm

You know, I've never noticed my guys actually hang out in groups Invert. They're scattered throughout the tank. Except sometimes Anubis and Horus, when Anubis isn't skulking in the hut, and Horus actually feels like going into the hut. XD
Six Crabs: Purple Pinchers: Horus(one molt), Anubis(one molt), Set(molting?). Ecuadorians: Geb(one molt) Sekhmet(Two Molts), Shu (molting?)
Two Asthmatic Cats: Ena, Una

Topic author
quimbycub

Post by quimbycub » Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:59 pm

Mine seem to hang out together 50% of the time. That seems healthy. I'm a little worried that come shell change time they may fight because they are EXACTLY the same size, and I've heard that leads to shell fights. I should be able to avoid this by providing a ton of empties, right?

kuza

Post by kuza » Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:04 pm

some of mine will hang out on top of molters looking all sad because they miss their buddy.

sontron

Post by sontron » Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:38 am

You should always have a large number of shells that are the same size as, slightly smaller than, or slightly larger any one of your crabs. If the crabs are the same size, than you should get even more shells of around those sizes, or else if they both find the same shell to be ideal, they may fight. Also, it is not a bad idea to have plenty of shells outside of the crabitat as well. This way, you can switch them out every now and then to give the crabs a chance to look at new shells, as well as letting you clean the ones that werein the tank.
3 PPs, pluto, hermes, and uranus
2 Es, Poseidon and Atlas
1 Emperor scorpion, Erebus

GudaHermitCrab

Post by GudaHermitCrab » Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:18 am

As long as you have enough shells, it should be ok. Two of my PPs are the same size, and once they changed into each others shells. So for a day I was all excited that Sebastian was so active (he never comes out during the day)..but then I realized it was just Guda, who had changed into Sebastian's old shell :P
Proud owner of 3 Purple Pinchers: Guda (2 molts), Kermit, Sebastian (1 molt)

~Crabby since September 2011~