Cholla Wood

For topics on hermit crab related stores, and member reviews of them. Also for asking where to find an item. Retailers, please read the sticky regarding our rules before posting!

Topic author
Brock

Re: Cholla Wood

Post by Brock » Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:02 pm

Hey don't get all bummed! We can make it work shipping to Canada..everything is negotiable! If the USPS aren't, I certainly am and can off set costs if shipping is a lot.;)

Remember it's all for the wee ones!
Let's keep our Canadian shell buddies happy too!

boxcat

Post by boxcat » Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:12 pm

Brock wrote:Hey don't get all bummed! We can make it work shipping to Canada..everything is negotiable! If the USPS aren't, I certainly am and can off set costs if shipping is a lot.;)

Remember it's all for the wee ones!
Let's keep our Canadian shell buddies happy too!
I think y'all can see why he was so awesome to work with!! :D
YOU'RE NOT MY SUPERVISOR

Bridgitmac80

Post by Bridgitmac80 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:13 pm

I am still interested in pieces Brian, just having to wait on the extra cash now. I will email you back soon as I know. Sorry it has taken this long :/ the kids had extra expenses the past week so threw off my getting to order the Cholla
PP's-George Strait, Sebastian, & Clyde
E's-Toby Keith, Luke Bryan, Blake Shelton

http://s1063.photobucket.com/albums/t50 ... itmac7980/

Topic author
Brock

Post by Brock » Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:57 pm

Hey Bridgit...you got an Irish name and that's good enough for me! What do you need and I will send it snail mail and then when you are back in the green, you can send me PayPal.
We are all hurting right now but animals don't need to. Send me an email and we,ll make it work...March 17th is coming and we know that's the holiest of days!!!!

BriAn

Libbster

Post by Libbster » Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:48 pm

How much would a straight 10 inch piece of cholla would be?
4 hermit crabs in a 20g Tall tank:
Mitchell, Feelix, Charlotte, and Google
YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/TinyStarrable?feature=mhee
RIP Sandy, Ralph, Aaron, Lucky, Shelly, Hermie, Buddy

fluffy

Post by fluffy » Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:51 pm

Yeah, can you post a price range :) That would be super cool, I've been wanting a nice piece of cholla in the tank. :D

Topic author
Brock

Post by Brock » Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:27 am

Hi guys. I quote individually based on size, width, length, straight, forked etc and per zip code. I also do special pricing for HCA and try to keep costs as low as possible. You can order a 1 inch piece for a couple of bucks or I am happy and hopeful that that one million dollar order will come in!

Just shoot me an email at bri.rock2@gmail.com and I will respond quickly.

Also just found out from one of the members that the Canadian govt no longer allows cholla shipments.

Hope this helps

Brian

Cecil716

Post by Cecil716 » Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:05 pm

Canada only allows choya from certified sellers. I know the hermit crab addiction does not sell to Canada (for choya) right now. I was informed about this from a fellow member and its not that choya can't be brought in, its that it has been taken away at customs by a few people. Its mainly for the customs taking away thing but there is a small chance that choya will go through from a non certified seller.
Current hermits: About 17 PPs and 3 straws (for now)
A 180-ish gallon tank with two 36 gallon extenstions!
What can I say? I love crabs!

boxcat

Post by boxcat » Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:26 pm

Chelsea716 wrote:Canada only allows choya from certified sellers. I know the hermit crab addiction does not sell to Canada (for choya) right now. I was informed about this from a fellow member and its not that choya can't be brought in, its that it has been taken away at customs by a few people. Its mainly for the customs taking away thing but there is a small chance that choya will go through from a non certified seller.
It depends which mail carrier is used as well. Certain carriers x-ray their packages before shipping them across national boundaries (I know the United States Postal Service does, and I believe UPS as well. Too lazy to Google) so it's usually a matter of carrier. I'm pretty sure the liability is on the carrier line, since Customs has enough crap to deal with as it is.
YOU'RE NOT MY SUPERVISOR

Cecil716

Post by Cecil716 » Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:25 pm

I got a piece of choya through when the seller shipped with USPS.

boxcat

Post by boxcat » Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:52 am

It looks like the USPS doesn't have restrictions on cholla wood to be shipped into Canada: http://pe.usps.com/text/imm/ce_003.htm

Google around a bit though. Mail can be weird. There are restrictions on live plants, and since human error can come into play, the people checking the mail might think cholla wood counts as "alive." :roll: I don't think it should be a problem on the US side.
YOU'RE NOT MY SUPERVISOR

Cecil716

Post by Cecil716 » Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:00 pm

I may have to contact the USPS to ask about choya wood.

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Thu Mar 21, 2013 3:50 pm

It's Canadian customs that sets the restrictions of what can be brought into the country not the USPS, but customs only opens and physically looks through a small percentage of packages that are mailed. That's why sometimes things get through and sometimes things don't, and why sometimes you get a package in a couple days and sometimes it takes over a month. There are no good online lists of what is and is not permitted (what is there is kind of vague), so you'd have to contact Canadian Customs directly and ask to know for sure.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Bman006

Post by Bman006 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:25 pm

foamster wrote:I would like to promote Brock as a cholla wood seller! If you want long, large pieces of cholla wood (even branched, which is SO hard to find!), he should be your first resource! I requested two large pieces (18-24"), preferably branched. Brock responded to my emails promptly and was very friendly to work with.

He prepared and sent my order very quickly (three days between my paying and the package being sent). The USPS had a long delay from the winter storm. It was out of Brock's hands at that point but we kept in touch via email, and again he was helpful and courteous, and seemed genuinely concerned with me receiving my package.

The cholla wood was packed in a recycled box. The wood was well protected with bubble wrap, empty paper towel rolls, newspaper, and styrofoam. There was no damage to the wood.

The pieces were even better than I was expecting!! :D I took some pictures... the first two are the branched pieces I requested. The last one is an extra piece he threw in (not sure if it's standard per order, but his customer service alone makes it worth ordering from him!)

The cholla wood is of very high quality. I specifically requested thinner pieces but from what I understand he can find pretty much anything. The wood has been sanded very smooth while still maintaining the branches' structural integrity.

10/10 will buy from again! :clap:
I also would like to promote Brock as a Cholla or Choya wood seller. I would like to tell you a little about how things went.

First I would like to say no one is perfect and mistakes happen on occasion. The reason I posted this mix up is to show you how professional Brock is and how he corrected the problem ASAP( And in reality we both were at fault, I should have been more specific in my purchase.)
He tracked my orders, and was always in touch no matter what I needed.

Let me tell you how awesome he is. I placed my order and received it in a well wrapped box with bubble wrap. But due to some misunderstanding on both of our parts, even though the pieces I received were wonderful and great quality, they were not what I asked for. I got a hold of Brock and we went over our messages and he took total responsibility for the mix up. Brock apologized and told me he would offer me a full refund or ship me the pieces I originally wanted. He just wanted to make things right and make me happy. I asked for the pieces instead of a refund, and I asked what he wanted to do with the pieces I already received in the mail. This is the awesome part. Since there was a mix up with the order, he told me to keep the pieces that I already received so my crabbys could have something to play with while the other pieces were being prepped. What a guy!!! So I received my new order in the mail today and wanted to post some pics for you guys.

I asked for straight pieces, but Brock can get you anything you want, thick, skinny, branched, whatever, etc....

This was my first order and I even received a extra piece, too cool.

This was my replacement order, and they are exactly what I asked for.

I will definitely buy from Brock again and he was very professional and a joy to do business with. He went out of his way to correct a problem and that right there gave me huge respect for the man. If you need choya or cholla wood, Brock is your man.

Brock, Thank you for being awesome!!!

P.S. He also does some art at fineartamerica.com
Last edited by Bman006 on Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kuza

Post by kuza » Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:28 pm

my mind is racing with all the things I could make for my crabs with all that cholla wood!!