Pill/potato bugs breeding

Older topics that are in the process of being sorted and moved into the appropriate Archived sections below.

Topic author
Smooti

Pill/potato bugs breeding

Post by Smooti » Thu Oct 02, 2014 5:15 am

Hello- relatively new crabber here. We got our crabs back at the end of August. We have had one death :( and I'm not sure why, but our other crabs seem to be doing fine. One is still buried, but the other two have molted. Anyway, I did a good amount of research when my son asked for hermit crabs, and decided to add 5-7 potato bugs to our 10 gallon tank to help keep it clean. And while I'm not finding any mold or poop or nasty food bits, it appears that those stinkers have been breeding. I lifted up the moss pit last night and was shocked to find so many scrambling around up there. With my research, I read that a colony usually does not breed until there are 15+ together. I can only assume that info was either wrong or I captured one that was already reproducing.

So, the question here is, do I need to deal with this? Do I take some out of the tank and let them go outside or do I just let them be? Will they take over my tank?

YYWW

Re: Pill/potato bugs breeding

Post by YYWW » Thu Oct 02, 2014 11:59 am

Perhaps you lucked in choosing the most alluring bugs ;D however if you spot any blue ones be sure to remove them ASAP.
I hear their numbers will be controlled due to the limit of food availability, and your crabs will always be at the top of the food chain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Topic author
Smooti

Post by Smooti » Thu Oct 02, 2014 5:44 pm

Dare I ask... What's with the blue ones?

YYWW

Post by YYWW » Thu Oct 02, 2014 8:35 pm

Some kinda mutation disorder that can spread/kill ;( i dont know too much about it but it's a repeated word of caution!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Thu Oct 02, 2014 8:58 pm

YYWW wrote:Some kinda mutation disorder that can spread/kill ;( i dont know too much about it but it's a repeated word of caution!
I was always under the impression that it isn't a mutation - as they can't spread except while breeding - but is a disease. I hear that it can spread to crabs - as they are both crustaceans.
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

lmw142

Post by lmw142 » Sat Oct 04, 2014 7:11 am

This thread is all about pill bugs!

http://hermitcrabassociation.com/phpBB/ ... 26&t=92538

It says in there that you want to avoid the blue or purple colored ones because they carry a virus.

Topic author
Smooti

Post by Smooti » Sat Oct 04, 2014 7:49 am

Thanks!

Topic author
Smooti

Post by Smooti » Tue Jan 13, 2015 12:43 pm

I just wanted to update this, in case anyone else is in a similar situation. The pill bug population seems to be self controlling and my tank is always clean. I just found crab poop for the first time yesterday and figured I would clean it that afternoon- but just a few hours later, it was all gone. pill bugs for the win. :)

bikepartjewelry

Post by bikepartjewelry » Thu Jan 15, 2015 8:21 pm

Where did you get your pillbugs? I have a large crab population and they are messssssy! We have a 55gal tank and I think we have some sort of non-harmful mite population that was in the dirt when we got it, so I'm thinking some buggies might help. Did you just pluck them out of the yard?
Jodey
12 PPs: Mega-Claw, Claw, Orzo, Lemon, Eugene, Speedy, Mo-Mo, Titan, Bob-Blueberry, Kirby, Meta-Knight...and one unnamed
3 E's: not yet named
my website: http://www.bikepartjewelry.com

MuseCrazy

Post by MuseCrazy » Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:17 pm

I just plucked mine out of the yard and tossed them in the tank. I don't use any pesticides so they are fine. I tried breeding them in their own enclosure, but I forgot about them for too long and well..... I decided to just put them straight in the crabitat the second time.

Topic author
Smooti

Post by Smooti » Fri Jan 16, 2015 12:42 am

I also grabbed mine from the yard. I read that they don't breed until there are at least 10, so I only put 6 or so in to start. well, they are a breeding! but they seem to control themselves and I've got to tell you, I barely clean this tank. I pick up some moss and some big food chunks, but really, these guys do it all.

soilentgringa

Post by soilentgringa » Mon Jan 19, 2015 9:23 pm

I need for it to warm up a bit but when it does they will be out en masse by my patio and around my mother's house. We added about 15 to our tat a couple of months ago and hadn't seen leg nor antennae of them, but I found one the other day, hiding under the water bowl. They have plenty of dead oak leaves and wood so I don't know if the crabs are eating them or what!