A Crabby Mystery...

This forum is where you discuss issues relating to molting hermit crabs, including pre- and post-molting issues. If you are having a molting emergency please post in the Emergency Forum.

Topic author
Ellysara

A Crabby Mystery...

Post by Ellysara » Thu Oct 09, 2014 4:44 pm

Hey guys :) Just wanted to share this mystery with you all because I don't think my husband wants to be retold the whole situation another time :hlol:

Anywho, I woke up this morning to find a newly molted crab on the surface. Yay, right?! Well, yes, until I noticed the absence of a BP and the dented and slightly twisted remaining limbs :( This crabbie was in a shell I have never seen one wear before; in fact I just rotated the shells last night and put that one in. So, since I couldn't tell who the crabbie is, I started looking for a the shell that must have been discarded in favor of this new shell. I distinctly remember the shells that each of the crabbies were wearing when they went down. But there is no shell! So this poor crab had to have dug up to the surface with no shell. I'm so happy she made it and found a shell on her own, but this still leaves me totally perplexed about who she is!

There are three possible suspects:

Tatiana: Went down only one week to one and a half weeks ago (this will teach me to write things down, right?). She was a medium sized crab and the one in question is about as big as I would have expected Tatiana to get after one molt.

Shy-Guy: I cannot remember if Shy-Guy was actually a guy, but the injured crabbie is definitely a girl. Shy-Guy went down about one month ago, so the timeline seems right, but if it is Shy-Guy, then she grew so much! Shy-Guy started as a small. If she is Shy-Guy, then the shell she was wearing when she went down would have been waaaay too small, which could explain why she ditched it?

Jackie: She is a large crab who I adopted on 8/28. She went down on 8/29, so the timing could be right on this one, although a little shorter than I expected. If it was her, she would have shrunk quite a bit during this molt. I know this is possible, but pretty rare, right? The scenario could also explain why the shell was ditched because it would have been huge on this crab.

A few more details about the mystery crab's new looks: she has a slightly mottled appearance. Like, instead of the color gradient I see on the other crabs, this one's color is speckled and and marbley looking. I tried to get pics, but my camera sucks. It looks like she pulled into her shell when she was still soft. Poor crabbie :( I don't think she needs any special care though, since she's been eating, drinking and climbing all day, so for now I will just keep an eye on her.

I know you guys can't tell me which one she might be, but it's nice to get it all written down. I'll just look forward to seeing the other two come up so I can solve this mystery!
9 PPs: Rocky, Bullwinkle, Jackie, Tatiana, Claudette, Shy-Guy, Simon and two not yet named.
2 house rabbits: Yojimbo and Nikki
1 axolotl: Birdo
2 cats: Leo and Maya

Rebecca C

Re: A Crabby Mystery...

Post by Rebecca C » Thu Oct 09, 2014 5:14 pm

I'm sorry for your mystery. It sounds like the poor girl was attacked while still soft. They could have fought her for her old shell, and in the process lost her BP, and got her other limbs damaged. :(
I would just recommend feeding her calcium, protein, and high energy foods. I wouldn't be surprised if she tries to molt again in a couple weeks to try to 'repair' herself.
~Ashley

I have 3 PP's, 1 E, and a puppy. :) Hermit Crabbing since August '04 R.I.P: to the crabs I have lost and R.I.P. Rocky(my first pet).
I make and sell all-natural, chemical and dye free hermit crab food on Etsy:
https://www.etsy.com/shop/TheHappyHermi ... p_redirect

YYWW

Post by YYWW » Thu Oct 09, 2014 5:45 pm

Just out of curiosity... Should/would the mystery crab get ISO'd? She is a bit rumpled and it woukd help figuring out her identity eventually.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Topic author
Ellysara

Post by Ellysara » Thu Oct 09, 2014 5:51 pm

I really think she's ok. Eating, drinking, moving around, hardened up. I have an iso that is available if that changes, however. Her only major problem is the missing BP.

Sent from my KFSOWI using Tapatalk
9 PPs: Rocky, Bullwinkle, Jackie, Tatiana, Claudette, Shy-Guy, Simon and two not yet named.

Topic author
Ellysara

Post by Ellysara » Fri Oct 10, 2014 12:05 pm

An update to the saga:

Found Mystery Crab hanging out in the freshwater without a shell on last night. Luckily I stayed up later than usual because this was at 1 am. I gathered a tupperware and shells and started to try and catch her. However, I hesitated a little because I was not sure where to grab her at (first naked crab) and she decided to scuttle away from my hand into the nearest shell, which actually was a good fit. She stayed in that shell all night but is now in the same spot as she was when I went to bed last night. Not sure what to think really. Hoping she doesn't have more injuries than I can see.