What are your crabs up to?

Where we discuss the behavior of our hermit crabs, as in fights, pecking orders, shell swaps, etc. Please post all naked-crab posts in the Emergency forum.

Ryry

Re: What are your crabs up to?

Post by Ryry » Mon Dec 01, 2014 1:39 pm

Don't we all love to post pictures!!
ImageImageImage
All kinds of crabby!
2 Violas, 1 Indo, 7 PPs, 2 cats, 1 Sheltie, 1 mechanic boyfriend

Topic author
moonbeam

Post by moonbeam » Mon Dec 01, 2014 3:26 pm

Ok so I'm guessing my post actually went through? I did it on the computer but it's not showing up at all on tapatalk... So pictures :)
ImageImage
Lil mama pigging out on some bark
Terrible picture but I was just so excited the little twerp was eating the coconut! (I worked hard to get that thing broken up and ready!)
Sweet little Squirt who just changed shells, just patiently waiting her turn to eat. Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Crabby crew of 17- Bob, Lil Mama, Squirt, Guppy, Deacon, Madison, Bash, Thumbelina, Wilson, George, Rosie, Hercules, Speedy, Jeff, Jerry, Keen, and Reddington :)

Ryry

Post by Ryry » Mon Dec 01, 2014 5:20 pm

Gah I'm glad they are eating it!
All kinds of crabby!

megmaholm

Post by megmaholm » Mon Dec 01, 2014 6:36 pm

Finally got the tank rearranged/redecorated for Christmas. I ended up finding 4 crabs, so 13 are buried. I had a few moments of panic since I have a large piece of fake driftwood that has 2 holes on the bottom. One of the crabs had wedged himself in there and got stuck. My hubby finally managed to get him out, and man he was mad and pinchy! The driftwood is out of the tank for a while - we filled the holes with Great Stuff and after it cures I'll rotate it back in eventually.

Anyway, a couple pics!

Biggie! It's so dang hard to get pics through the glass. Oh well.
Crabbing since July 2014! 75 gallon with 12 Purple Pinchers.

hermitcrabdc

Post by hermitcrabdc » Mon Dec 01, 2014 6:54 pm

Love it Meg!
Crabbing since July 2013!
4 PPs - Chloe, Tani, Kono, McGarrett

dinky

Post by dinky » Mon Dec 01, 2014 7:01 pm

megmaholm wrote:Finally got the tank rearranged/redecorated for Christmas. I ended up finding 4 crabs, so 13 are buried. I had a few moments of panic since I have a large piece of fake driftwood that has 2 holes on the bottom. One of the crabs had wedged himself in there and got stuck. My hubby finally managed to get him out, and man he was mad and pinchy! The driftwood is out of the tank for a while - we filled the holes with Great Stuff and after it cures I'll rotate it back in eventually.

Anyway, a couple pics!

Love the pic's.....gave me a great idea and I'll start pulling out craft stuff and grandkids can have fun doing up the outside of my tanks (:
Happy owner of 10 pp's, 7 E's, 2 straws, 1 ruggie, 2 viola's, 2 dogs, to many kids to count and one awesome hubby

Topic author
moonbeam

Post by moonbeam » Mon Dec 01, 2014 7:30 pm

megmaholm wrote:Finally got the tank rearranged/redecorated for Christmas. I ended up finding 4 crabs, so 13 are buried. I had a few moments of panic since I have a large piece of fake driftwood that has 2 holes on the bottom. One of the crabs had wedged himself in there and got stuck. My hubby finally managed to get him out, and man he was mad and pinchy! The driftwood is out of the tank for a while - we filled the holes with Great Stuff and after it cures I'll rotate it back in eventually.

Anyway, a couple pics!

Precious! I hope they climb all over that tree like it's their job!!... So you can take pictures to show us hahaImage

Crabby crew of 17- Bob, Lil Mama, Squirt, Guppy, Deacon, Madison, Bash, Thumbelina, Wilson, George, Rosie, Hercules, Speedy, Jeff, Jerry, Keen, and Reddington :)

megmaholm

Post by megmaholm » Mon Dec 01, 2014 7:49 pm

Thanks guys!! If they ignore the tree I'll be so mad. Lol. I had tons of fun decorating :) I'll be sad when the holidays are over and I'll have to take the lights down.

Edit: Pinchy crab that got stuck is Cersei. That makes sense...she's the only crab other than Loki that has pinched me before. :lol: The other crab in a green turbo is Magnum, I think. I checked my log that has pics of all the crabs, and I'm 99% sure it's him. If so, he grew back his missing eye in the last few weeks. That's impressive! He's small enough for it to be possible, I suppose. He lost the eye in his first molt not that long ago so I guess if all he needed to do was regrow it, it wouldn't take as long? Makes sense to me, haha.

My daytime bulb used to be in a different fixture. It was an LED so didn't put off any heat. I have a 2 bulb fixture that normally has 2 moonlight bulbs, but I've only needed one running recently since the Ultratherm is awesome. Temps have been 83-85. I decided to switch one moonlight bulb out for a regular lightbulb for the daytime, so I could get rid of the LED separate fixture entirely. In less than an hour the temp was up to 92 degrees. :shock: I didn't expect a regular bulb to put out that much heat! I switched off the 2nd moonlight bulb to get the temp back down. My light fixture is on a timer so it'll be off from 9pm-9am, since I like it to be a little cooler at night. At this rate I'll be able to get rid of the moonlight bulbs entirely and just use the lightbulb during the day for a little bit of heat/light. One of these days I'll get everything figured out so I can quit obsessing over stuff. :lol:
Last edited by megmaholm on Mon Dec 01, 2014 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ryry

Post by Ryry » Mon Dec 01, 2014 8:08 pm

I have some possible good news! Whilst creeping on my crabs tonight I have been trying to pay attention to who is who... And my first crab may have finally come up from his molt!! I'm going to do a head count soon- the next time I quick clean the tank I'll pull them all out to verify. That way you all get to finally meet BRUCE! He's been down in his Bat Cave! If it is indeed him I will be so happy!
All kinds of crabby!

Topic author
moonbeam

Post by moonbeam » Mon Dec 01, 2014 8:27 pm

Ryry wrote:I have some possible good news! Whilst creeping on my crabs tonight I have been trying to pay attention to who is who... And my first crab may have finally come up from his molt!! I'm going to do a head count soon- the next time I quick clean the tank I'll pull them all out to verify. That way you all get to finally meet BRUCE! He's been down in his Bat Cave! If it is indeed him I will be so happy!
YAY!! I can't wait to see pictures of this mysterious Bruce you speak of hahaha!

megmaholm

Post by megmaholm » Mon Dec 01, 2014 11:47 pm

Ryry wrote:I have some possible good news! Whilst creeping on my crabs tonight I have been trying to pay attention to who is who... And my first crab may have finally come up from his molt!! I'm going to do a head count soon- the next time I quick clean the tank I'll pull them all out to verify. That way you all get to finally meet BRUCE! He's been down in his Bat Cave! If it is indeed him I will be so happy!
Awesome!!! So exciting when they come up after you haven't seen them for a while. :D Can't wait for pics!

tykesanimalkingdom

Post by tykesanimalkingdom » Tue Dec 02, 2014 10:59 am

So we may or may not have put a disco ball inside our crabitat :wink:

This is Trixie, our biggest E. She just came up from her first molt with us! She's so hairy :lol:

Gail....Lurking in the dark shadows of the third level :shock: :lol:

Where oh where could Squishy be....hmmmm....

Little baby Toast and little orange Garfield....I wonder how he got his name :wink:

shanedaman112

Post by shanedaman112 » Tue Dec 02, 2014 2:11 pm

So many cool pics, I want tats that cool D:
So my crabs have never been big on digging, but a few days ago lulu started hiding underground all day every day. Every morning I wake up to the shell pile covered in sand dunes, I guess that's where the tunnel ends. there is a big hole under the water bowl hide that goes about half way into the strate. I've seen lulu standing right at the bottom and its so cute for some reason :D
2 small PPs: Leonardo, Biscuit
3 medium to large PPs: Kermit Rocketson, Lulu, Strawberry (named because he is red, not actually a straw)
1 Neon Tetra: Stevie. 1 Crawfish: Larry
R.I.P. Larry, Crabby, and Hermie (all PPs) O'mally (Neon Tetra) John Cena(Crawfish)

megmaholm

Post by megmaholm » Tue Dec 02, 2014 2:12 pm

OMG!! I need a disco ball for my tank!! That is so beyond awesome. I think I'm in love with tiny little Squishy, but all your crabs are adorable :)

soilentgringa

Post by soilentgringa » Wed Dec 03, 2014 1:29 pm

Came in from work this morning to find Groot diving in the "jacuzzi" as my son calls it. He completely submerged, crawled across the bottom of the pool, then climbed out. Here he is drying off after his dip.Image