What are your crabs up to?

Where we discuss the behavior of our hermit crabs, as in fights, pecking orders, shell swaps, etc. Please post all naked-crab posts in the Emergency forum.

Topic author
moonbeam

Re: What are your crabs up to?

Post by moonbeam » Sat Dec 06, 2014 8:43 pm

Lol I'm trying to work out an adoption right now for more crabs.... The addiction is strong!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Crabby crew of 17- Bob, Lil Mama, Squirt, Guppy, Deacon, Madison, Bash, Thumbelina, Wilson, George, Rosie, Hercules, Speedy, Jeff, Jerry, Keen, and Reddington :)

tykesanimalkingdom

Post by tykesanimalkingdom » Sun Dec 07, 2014 8:48 am

Someone I follow on Instagram has 41 hermit crabs in a 55 gallon tank. AND she posted the other day saying that she just ordered 3 large strawberry crabs from livehermitcrabs.com and she's putting them in the 55 gallon too.

That's like the worst overcrowding possible :(

Sorry, just had to vent.

jarteta97

Post by jarteta97 » Sun Dec 07, 2014 9:54 am

Aww, man, that's super sad. One of my biggest pet peeves with pets is overcrowding. I mean, we've already taken them out of a living space dozens, even hundreds of square miles. Why crowd them into an even smaller space? And doing that with strawberries?! Wow.
When you've been crabbing for so long, you don't even know how many crabs you have now...

aldebaron0626

Post by aldebaron0626 » Sun Dec 07, 2014 12:16 pm

Tykes can you gently send her the crab care sheets and the recommended space per crab information. That many crabs will probably lead to cannabalism and violent displays of aggression.

Crabby Mommy since 8/13/14
2Es Buzz and Bullseye and 3PPs Woody (adp 12/10/14), Jessie (adp 1/20/15) and Mick (1/26/15)
Coming in March: Rex (PP) and Bo Peep (E)

aldebaron0626

Post by aldebaron0626 » Sun Dec 07, 2014 1:09 pm

I finally saw my shy, shell shopping, freshly molted E. So beautiful! He has orange around his eyes and has mostly lost his almost lavender coloring. We took out the friendlier E yesterday and he has more orange on his legs but his body is still light blue. Now, just waiting for my PP to surface. I hope he didn't meet the same fate as his tank mate. (Apparently eaten, he was buried just 2" below substrate and I found exo and tail but nothing else.)

Crabby Mommy since 8/13/14
2Es Buzz and Bullseye and 3PPs Woody (adp 12/10/14), Jessie (adp 1/20/15) and Mick (1/26/15)
Coming in March: Rex (PP) and Bo Peep (E)

megmaholm

Post by megmaholm » Sun Dec 07, 2014 5:22 pm

41 crabs in a 55 is crazy!! I was worried for a while I was a little overcrowded, but after having to go digging and discovering basically all my crabs were under, I realized there is plenty of room for now since almost everyone is soooo small. No caves near each other at all. That may change in a few years but for now I'm not worried, haha.

Speaking of which...my husband bought me a crab as an early birthday present. I was staring at them in Petsmart and didn't pay attention, but he flagged down an employee and was like "Pick one out." I couldn't really say no, lol. He's a friendly chunky crab that reminds me of Biggie, and he has his fat butt crammed into a way too small murex. I lectured him on the way home and told him I don't like my crabs in funny-looking badly fitting shells, but he apparently didn't listen. ;) Hopefully he'll discover the shell shop soon and settle in nicely.

I ordered a new, horizontally hinged lid for my tank back on December 1st, and as of today it still hadn't shipped. I talked to one of the customer service people at Drs. Foster & Smith and they're shipping it tomorrow and upgrading to UPS 1 day air at no cost to me. I'm beyond happy with that kind of service!!
Crabbing since July 2014! 75 gallon with 12 Purple Pinchers.

Topic author
moonbeam

Post by moonbeam » Sun Dec 07, 2014 9:48 pm

OMG those poor crabs :( I'm with aldebaron, maybe a gentle recommendation and some caresheets will help ease the overcrowding in her tank. Heck, maybe she'll adopt some out to some of us (ok, maybe that's just wishful thinking but it'd still be cool).

Congrats on the new b-day crab! Pictures please?? Are you a December baby? If so happy birthday to us :banana: I'm sorry to hear your lid still hadn't shipped but glad to hear they're fixing the problem with some good customer service. I can deal with so many "whoopsies" as long as customer service is on point, its a must in my book.
Crabby crew of 17- Bob, Lil Mama, Squirt, Guppy, Deacon, Madison, Bash, Thumbelina, Wilson, George, Rosie, Hercules, Speedy, Jeff, Jerry, Keen, and Reddington :)

megmaholm

Post by megmaholm » Sun Dec 07, 2014 9:58 pm

He's hiding right now, of course. He checked out a tapestry turbo but so far hasn't changed. Sigh. I named him Alduin, after the main dragon in Skyrim.. yes, I'm a gaming nerd. ;) I caught him chowing down at the food dish earlier, and Biggie was right next to him stuffing his face with supplements. So cute! He's missing a leg tip but is in good shape otherwise.

And yep, December baby! The 18th. I hate that I was born so close to Christmas, but oh well. My older brother's is the 22nd so I guess he has it even worse!

Topic author
moonbeam

Post by moonbeam » Sun Dec 07, 2014 10:12 pm

Aww what a cutie! And don't worry, we're all nerds in our own right!

Gotta love being a December baby. I'm the 30th. I've hated it ever since I can remember and always said I'd never have a baby in December. So what did I do? Had my first baby dec. 19. Go figure haha.

megmaholm

Post by megmaholm » Sun Dec 07, 2014 10:18 pm

All crabbers are a little nerdy. We have to be to have such strange pets. :lol:

I have a lot of sympathy for anyone with a December birthday. I'm not sure it's any better having a bday right after Christmas, either. You just can't win, haha!

ViiT

Post by ViiT » Sun Dec 07, 2014 10:36 pm

megmaholm wrote:I named him Alduin, after the main dragon in Skyrim.. yes, I'm a gaming nerd. ;)
Don't feel bad, two of mine are named after theoretical physicists :lol:
40GB/6 PPs: Heisenberg (M), Hobbles (M), Schrödinger (F), Tesla (F), Icarus (?), 1 Un-named Micro
5G Isopod Tank: 3 Successful Reproductions

Ryry

Post by Ryry » Sun Dec 07, 2014 10:42 pm

My littlest crab is named foxface- like the girl from hunger games. Because when I put food out she usually comes out of nowhere steals food and takes off! Smart little foxface!
All kinds of crabby!
2 Violas, 1 Indo, 7 PPs, 2 cats, 1 Sheltie, 1 mechanic boyfriend

Topic author
moonbeam

Post by moonbeam » Sun Dec 07, 2014 10:48 pm

Yeah until she eats the berries...

ViiT

Post by ViiT » Sun Dec 07, 2014 10:49 pm

moonbeam wrote:Yeah until she eats the berries...

:hlol:
40GB/6 PPs: Heisenberg (M), Hobbles (M), Schrödinger (F), Tesla (F), Icarus (?), 1 Un-named Micro
5G Isopod Tank: 3 Successful Reproductions

Topic author
moonbeam

Post by moonbeam » Sun Dec 07, 2014 10:55 pm

OMG I heard weird noises coming from the tank and I couldn't figure out where it was coming from. Turns out my ever adventurous little Squirt is crawling on the new lid! Gosh I love my crabs Image

Btw Ryry you know I'm just kidding! Foxface is one of my favorite crabby cousins! And yeah, I consider most of yalls crabs online cousins :) like we said, were all a little nerdy (or just down right weird) around here Image