What are your crabs up to?

Where we discuss the behavior of our hermit crabs, as in fights, pecking orders, shell swaps, etc. Please post all naked-crab posts in the Emergency forum.

Topic author
moonbeam

Re: What are your crabs up to?

Post by moonbeam » Sun Dec 14, 2014 11:16 pm

MuseCrazy wrote:Right now Bun is taking the hard way out of the moss pit, his Honey is down for a molt right now. I wonder if she'll recognize him when she gets up he's changed shells a lot. ImageImage
Rose the straw managed to knock down the shell shop somehow Image
That's so cute! Honey Bun :) I've got two crabs that clearly act different when they're not together. They've been together since day 1 and its precious watching them reunite and start following each other around again. I think crabs are capable of forming special bonds :)

So we're visiting family out of town this week and last night was my last night of crab watching for a week :( BUT little mama decided to spend some extra time with me last night and it totally made my night. Usually if I come up when she's eating she runs and hides but last night she just sat there and kept eating, just staring at me. I sat there talking to her for 20 minutes lol. Plus she posed for pictures after, Image
Is it sad that I already miss my tank?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Crabby crew of 17- Bob, Lil Mama, Squirt, Guppy, Deacon, Madison, Bash, Thumbelina, Wilson, George, Rosie, Hercules, Speedy, Jeff, Jerry, Keen, and Reddington :)

soilentgringa

Post by soilentgringa » Mon Dec 15, 2014 10:54 am

Woke up to a completely wrecked 'tat. Largest dug down and left a giant sinkhole and the food dishes full of sand.

KellyCrabbieLove

Post by KellyCrabbieLove » Mon Dec 15, 2014 11:18 am

Me too. 2 larges went up and down and some smalls as well. I have 2 plants in holes even! So inconsiderate.
#1 rule of crabbing - crabs are weird.
#2 rule of crabbing - see above

megmaholm

Post by megmaholm » Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:08 pm

I caught a crab climbing the Christmas tree! It's about time. Granted, he may have been just trying to get over it to get to the moss pit, but I'll ignore that for the moment. I knew I could count on Biggie. ;)
Crabbing since July 2014! 75 gallon with 12 Purple Pinchers.

aldebaron0626

Post by aldebaron0626 » Wed Dec 17, 2014 1:38 am

My PP adoptee is subterranean in her hideous painted shell. (She had 8 shells, both types of openings in a range of sizes). One of my Es are shell shopping at night, kicking shells to the substrate. Added a few new ones (took a few out). My Es have 13 shells to choose from, both types of openings in sizes slightly smaller to slightly larger. One loves shell swapping. I added air stones to my pools to boost the Es humidity above 85, and it's working!!! Now to boost heat higher than 80 :-( seeing if higher temp/humidity will make them more friendly. One is so shy I catch him on the surface once a week if I'm lucky. I hear him tunneling all the time. My other E is out a lot but has a heart attack if I get too close. Snaps into shell it can't actually fit in, rolls off the cholla and usually into a tunnel.

Crabby Mommy since 8/13/14
2Es Buzz and Bullseye and 3PPs Woody (adp 12/10/14), Jessie (adp 1/20/15) and Mick (1/26/15)
Coming in March: Rex (PP) and Bo Peep (E)

Drakezilla

Post by Drakezilla » Wed Dec 17, 2014 5:22 pm

My newest baby, Tonks is happily exploring the additions to his tank! He's eating lots and switching shells constantly! Does that mean anything? He's gone through 4 already!

He seems to really like his new home though!

ImageImageImageImage
-:- -:- -:- / / / -:- -:- -:-
Cᴜʀʀᴇɴᴛʟʏ;
{ 01 } PP; Cᴀᴘ ( 10 /13/15 ) **Looking for a new home in Tampa, Florida**

KellyCrabbieLove

Post by KellyCrabbieLove » Wed Dec 17, 2014 5:57 pm

megmaholm wrote:Image
I caught a crab climbing the Christmas tree! It's about time. Granted, he may have been just trying to get over it to get to the moss pit, but I'll ignore that for the moment. I knew I could count on Biggie. ;)
In the bottom pic the tree looks like it has eyes, a nose and a frown. Lol he must not like being climbed.

Ryry

Post by Ryry » Wed Dec 17, 2014 11:47 pm

Totally just caught my viola dean in the FW pool! I never see them swim! I'm so excited lol
All kinds of crabby!
2 Violas, 1 Indo, 7 PPs, 2 cats, 1 Sheltie, 1 mechanic boyfriend

Topic author
moonbeam

Post by moonbeam » Wed Dec 17, 2014 11:52 pm

Ryry wrote:Totally just caught my viola dean in the FW pool! I never see them swim! I'm so excited lol
Aww yay dean! I'm so jealous right now! Pictures?? I'm going through crab withdrawal.

Crabby crew of 17- Bob, Lil Mama, Squirt, Guppy, Deacon, Madison, Bash, Thumbelina, Wilson, George, Rosie, Hercules, Speedy, Jeff, Jerry, Keen, and Reddington :)

Ryry

Post by Ryry » Wed Dec 17, 2014 11:54 pm

moonbeam wrote: Aww yay dean! I'm so jealous right now! Pictures?? I'm going through crab withdrawal.

Lol I'm sure you are! This isn't a pool pic but it is of dean in his snazzy shell. I don't want to leave my warm bed right now....
All kinds of crabby!

Topic author
moonbeam

Post by moonbeam » Thu Dec 18, 2014 11:13 am

Awww you're the best! I needed a dose of crab cuteness! And heck no, once in a warm bed up north, you STAY in said warm bed as long as you can

KellyCrabbieLove

Post by KellyCrabbieLove » Thu Dec 18, 2014 12:43 pm

Usually having to pee is the main reason to get out of the warm bed. :)

Ryry

Post by Ryry » Thu Dec 18, 2014 2:55 pm

KellyCrabbieLove wrote:Usually having to pee is the main reason to get out of the warm bed. :)
And it's always the worst!! I've been drinking a lot of water for my diet/ exercise regime and I feel like I have the bladder of a 3 year old! Leaving the warm bed is my current bane!
All kinds of crabby!

KellyCrabbieLove

Post by KellyCrabbieLove » Thu Dec 18, 2014 2:56 pm

Sounds about right. Lol

Topic author
moonbeam

Post by moonbeam » Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:27 pm

Wait till you have kids. Then you'll really feel like you have a tiny bladder! I gotta say never have I gotten so cold so fast as when I have to pee in the middle of the night up here! I don't know that I will ever be able to live up north. And I hear that it gets even colder in January and February?