Iron levels in water

All about freshwater & saltwater - dechlorinators, salt, water bowls, and pool construction & maintenance.

Topic author
ukulele4you

Iron levels in water

Post by ukulele4you » Mon Jan 05, 2015 3:50 pm

I have well water and that is what I have been feeding my guys. With high levels on rain the iron level has increased and now it is the color of rust. Will this harm the crabs? I have been giving them distilled water from the store for a few days now. Has anyone heard about high iron levels being an issue?

Rebecca C

Re: Iron levels in water

Post by Rebecca C » Mon Jan 05, 2015 4:46 pm

I have heard that well water is generally safe for the crabs; however, like you, I would be a bit hesitant to use the water if it has changed color. Crabs are also sensitive to metals, so you might want to wait to use your well water until the levels go down and the color returns to normal.

Until then, you may want to purchase a water dechlorinator and perhaps some jugs of water for them and you and your family.
You do not want to use distilled water, as it does not have the electrolytes and minerals that the crabs need out of water. Also, if the water has only been distilled, there is still Chlorine in the water, and it is not safe for the crabs.

If you want, there is a list of dechlorinators here: http://hermitcrabassociation.com/phpBB/ ... 25&t=92553
~Ashley

I have 3 PP's, 1 E, and a puppy. :) Hermit Crabbing since August '04 R.I.P: to the crabs I have lost and R.I.P. Rocky(my first pet).
I make and sell all-natural, chemical and dye free hermit crab food on Etsy:
https://www.etsy.com/shop/TheHappyHermi ... p_redirect

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Mon Jan 05, 2015 5:02 pm

Yeah, I would be a hesitant to use it if the water is actually rusty. :shock: Bottled would be a much better option until it clears again!
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Topic author
ukulele4you

Post by ukulele4you » Mon Jan 05, 2015 6:36 pm

Thank you again for both of your help. I recently had my favorite PP die so I am a bit more paranoid than normal. I "mis-tiped," I have not been using distilled water I have been using Dasani bottled water. I did not read anything about chlorine on the label. Do you think it contains anything odd? Would you suggest supplementing the water with anything?

Rebecca C

Post by Rebecca C » Mon Jan 05, 2015 6:56 pm

I personally would still use a dechlorinator with the bottled water, as more than likely, it contains Chlorine and other metals.
I do not know the exact reasons, but companies that purify or collect water for our consumption do not need to list everything that is contained in the water. It could be that some people would get freaked out seeing Chlorine, fluoride, or various metals listed in an ingredient or contents list on a water bottle's label. Also these are trace amounts, they are not a large enough part of the water itself.

As humans we can handle amounts of metals, elements, minerals, etc. and we even need some of these in our bodies. Bottled water and tap water are made safe for us. Some cities, if you have public sewer for water, have fluoride, or add fluoride into the water, for example. Humans need Chlorine in their bodies, but Chlorine is harmful to Crustaceans. I know Chlorine damages their gills, I do not know if there is any other reason in addition to that.
~Ashley

I have 3 PP's, 1 E, and a puppy. :) Hermit Crabbing since August '04 R.I.P: to the crabs I have lost and R.I.P. Rocky(my first pet).

Topic author
ukulele4you

Post by ukulele4you » Mon Jan 05, 2015 7:02 pm

Thank you for your help!

Rebecca C

Post by Rebecca C » Mon Jan 05, 2015 7:09 pm

It is my pleasure to help. :)
~Ashley

aldebaron0626

Post by aldebaron0626 » Thu Jan 08, 2015 7:50 pm

Dasani actually has minerals added "for taste" so I'd be scared to use it without using a dechlor that neutralized heavy metals too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Crabby Mommy since 8/13/14
2Es Buzz and Bullseye and 3PPs Woody (adp 12/10/14), Jessie (adp 1/20/15) and Mick (1/26/15)
Coming in March: Rex (PP) and Bo Peep (E)

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Thu Jan 08, 2015 8:10 pm

aldebaron0626 wrote:Dasani actually has minerals added "for taste" so I'd be scared to use it without using a dechlor that neutralized heavy metals too.
Insta-death to bettas. :( Definitely treat with dechlor, or use a much cheaper plain spring water or even the filler stations at the store!
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Topic author
ukulele4you

Post by ukulele4you » Wed Jan 28, 2015 10:08 pm

Thank you all for he help.The water is a "normal" color again! I am not sure if the little guys can tell the difference but it makes me feels better to use the well water. I just bought a humidifier for the crabs (with my heat on the air seems dry.) Do you have a suggestion of what to use in the humidifier? I am not sure if well water is the way to go or if it will clog the humidifier. And feel free to tell me if I am over thinking this. Thanks!

aldebaron0626

Post by aldebaron0626 » Wed Jan 28, 2015 10:43 pm

Use dechlor water or whatever the manufacturer's instructions recommend (eg distilled)

Crabby since 8/13/14
Es Buzz and Bullseye
PPs Rex, Mick and Woody
Crabby Mommy since 8/13/14
2Es Buzz and Bullseye and 3PPs Woody (adp 12/10/14), Jessie (adp 1/20/15) and Mick (1/26/15)
Coming in March: Rex (PP) and Bo Peep (E)

Topic author
ukulele4you

Post by ukulele4you » Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:40 am

HA! I will use distilled. The instructions are all in Japanese so they were fairly useless :?