Hygrotherm experiment

Older topics that are in the process of being sorted and moved into the appropriate Archived sections below.

Topic author
nanasue

Hygrotherm experiment

Post by nanasue » Thu Jan 01, 2015 6:40 pm

Ok, well, my son has his Hygrotherm, and is now experimenting with it on his/our 20gal tank. So far, it rocks! The biggest issue is the nighttime temp drop feature. He had it set to a 5 degree drop in temp, but that was enough that, without the humidifier going, the humidity skyrocketed to over 95%. Luckily, he had the alarm set, so it warned us and he was able to get the lid opened. After another time of the humidity going up dangerously, he changed the overnight drop to 0 degrees. Otherwise, the Hygrotherm has shown to be an awesome investment, and unless something changes, both my son and I would highly recommend it.
"I tawt I taw a Twabitat."

Kitten

Re: Hygrotherm experiment

Post by Kitten » Thu Jan 01, 2015 6:57 pm

What kind of hyrgotherm did you get?

CallaLily

Post by CallaLily » Thu Jan 01, 2015 7:09 pm

Awesome! Glad to hear it's working well for you. I'd love to have a Hygrotherm for each of my crabitats. Maybe one day. Thank you for taking the time to review it. :)

Topic author
nanasue

Post by nanasue » Fri Jan 02, 2015 3:50 pm

Kitten wrote:What kind of hyrgotherm did you get?
It is a Zoomed Hygrotherm. The only one that was called a "hygrotherm" I recall from when my son and I were searching for one. My son and I are glad to help other crab lovers with this review.

Topic author
nanasue

Post by nanasue » Fri Jan 02, 2015 4:04 pm

For anyone who wants to check it out for themselves, this is where my son and I first read about it.

http://zoomed.com/db/products/EntryDeta ... SearchID=5

Hope I'm not breaking any rules by posting this addy.

megmaholm

Post by megmaholm » Fri Jan 02, 2015 4:05 pm

I've been eyeing the hygrotherm for ages but was hesitant to drop that much money on something if it didn't work well. Thanks for sharing your experience! Something for me to maybe save up for :)
Crabbing since July 2014! 75 gallon with 12 Purple Pinchers.

Kitten

Post by Kitten » Sun Jan 04, 2015 12:38 am

What are you using for a humidifier and is the hygrotherm controlling it too?
I've been looking into getting one of these but am Leary since it costs so much

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Sun Jan 04, 2015 5:59 am

Just so you know - humidity levels up to 100% are not harmful to hermit crabs! Anything over 70% is safe and there is no upper limit. :) The problem with higher humidity is just from the issues with mold growth that tend to accompany it, and if the humidity is coming from a humidifier or fogger then the substrate can flood easily.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Topic author
nanasue

Post by nanasue » Thu Jan 08, 2015 11:05 am

We did a DIY humidifier for the crabitat, using a Tetra Whisper 10-20 gal air pump. And, yes, it is hooked up to the Hygrotherm as well. Thanks for the info Wodesorel, was a little worried about flooding, but that is very reassuring to know.

Topic author
nanasue

Post by nanasue » Thu Jan 08, 2015 11:09 am

From my son and I, we believe that this is a very sound investment. I would caution you against replacing your gauges though, as it tends to read very..... off... of what the gauges do. If you have a trusted set of gauges in your tat, rely on those as your gauges, and calibrate the Hygrotherm so that your gauges read what you believe they should. That is the only real issue we've had. The Hygrotherm's readings aren't degree for degree what the gauges read either, oddly enough, so definitely trust your normal gauges. We would still highly recommend this to any serious Crab Lover.