violascens from borneo

This is a forum dedicated to Hermit Crab Association members posting pictures of their crabs and crabitats.

Topic author
rozibpn

Re: violascens from borneo

Post by rozibpn » Sun Jun 29, 2014 9:30 pm

:) :) :)
5 perlatus
15 brevimanus
dozens of rugosus n violascens

Careyenz

Post by Careyenz » Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:53 pm

Just gorgeous!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Careyenz, mom to Collin-7, Lily-4, 4 Straws, 5 Blues, 2 Violas, 2 E's, 2 PP's, and 3 cats.

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Wed Jul 02, 2014 7:53 am

Awesome crabitat and awesome crabs!
I love the way you decorate the tank, so many hiding places! Reminds me of a lake malawi tank setup! :)
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

SlovakCrabber

Post by SlovakCrabber » Sat Jul 05, 2014 10:37 am

You are so lucky to be able to house so many wonderful crabs! How many do you have in all?

Topic author
rozibpn

Post by rozibpn » Sat Jul 12, 2014 2:19 am

aussieJJDude wrote:Awesome crabitat and awesome crabs!
I love the way you decorate the tank, so many hiding places! Reminds me of a lake malawi tank setup! :)
wow ...lake malawi ..i haven't been there :lol: just lucky me can get many stuf free and lived not far from violascens habitat
5 perlatus
15 brevimanus

Topic author
rozibpn

Post by rozibpn » Sat Jul 12, 2014 2:28 am

SlovakCrabber wrote:You are so lucky to be able to house so many wonderful crabs! How many do you have in all?
maybe not less than 50, do not know for sure especially for violas n rugies
5 perlatus
15 brevimanus

Topic author
rozibpn

Post by rozibpn » Thu Feb 19, 2015 4:04 am

blue violascens
5 perlatus
15 brevimanus

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Thu Feb 19, 2015 8:46 am

That looks like a C. Purpureus, possibly a C. Rugosus - a photo of the big claw would tell for sure. The eyestalks on C. Viola are much different, and red antenna are not an accurate way to identify them. I noticed a few of the other crabs in your previous photos that were labeled as Violas are likely to be this other species as well. :)
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Fri Feb 20, 2015 3:30 am

rozibpn wrote:blue violascens
OMG, what ever this is (got no idea, colours are throwing me off), it deserved to be in my crabitat... Now! :lol: What a beautiful coloured crab. :)
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

Topic author
rozibpn

Post by rozibpn » Sun Feb 22, 2015 12:36 am

wodesorel wrote:That looks like a C. Purpureus, possibly a C. Rugosus - a photo of the big claw would tell for sure. The eyestalks on C. Viola are much different, and red antenna are not an accurate way to identify them. I noticed a few of the other crabs in your previous photos that were labeled as Violas are likely to be this other species as well. :)
it's certainly not rugosus because there is no ///// sign
and quite different from my purpureus
5 perlatus
15 brevimanus

soilentgringa

Post by soilentgringa » Sun Feb 22, 2015 4:29 am

rozibpn wrote:blue violascens
This is one of my favorite crab photos ever! The coloring is to die for!!! I love pastel candy colored crabs.
Wodesorel- do violas usually have solid black eyestalks or does that vary?

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Sun Feb 22, 2015 7:44 am

rozibpn wrote: it's certainly not rugosus because there is no ///// sign
C. Purpureus, then!
soilentgringa wrote:This is one of my favorite crab photos ever! The coloring is to die for!!! I love pastel candy colored crabs.
Violas do have darker eyestalks, but the key ID point is the shape - the stalks are skinny and come up in a V shape, and the eyes are elongated and also at a V to each other. The crab in that photo has both eyes and stalks that are elongated like | |. Straws, Es, Aussies, Rugosus, and Blues have eyes this shape. It's obviously not a straw. Ruggies have distinctive claws with hash marks and a sharp edged shield leg that is impossible to miss. (The hash mark is little debatable, as for a long time everyone thought Es shouldn't have it, but some Es do. The shield leg is the main ID point, and these guys don't have it.) Es aren't found past Easter Island so it's the wrong part of the world, and that color blue is exceptionally rare in that species. Aussies aren't known to exist that far North, and with the lack of color other than blue it's unlikely it is that species.

That leaves Blues, which fits. They can have red antennas. They look pudgy and rotund. The range is a little to the South but right. And the rest of their parts I've always thought look cobbled together from the others species - PP legs, Straw eyes, Viola antenna, and E claws. I've always considered them the "leftovers crab" because of it. :)
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

kornchaser

Post by kornchaser » Sun Feb 22, 2015 12:39 pm

soilentgringa wrote: This is one of my favorite crab photos ever! The coloring is to die for!!! I love pastel candy colored crabs.
Agreed, super adorable and perf coloring Image

Mommy of 10 PP babies:
Poseidon (Sid), Toby, Matty, Junior, Aries, Kaylee, Turbo, Adrian, Pepper and Flower. RIP Octavius & Fred
-

Topic author
rozibpn

Post by rozibpn » Sun Feb 22, 2015 10:21 pm

wodesorel wrote: Violas do have darker eyestalks, but the key ID point is the shape - the stalks are skinny and come up in a V shape, and the eyes are elongated and also at a V to each other. The crab in that photo has both eyes and stalks that are elongated like | |. Straws, Es, Aussies, Rugosus, and Blues have eyes this shape. It's obviously not a straw. Ruggies have distinctive claws with hash marks and a sharp edged shield leg that is impossible to miss. (The hash mark is little debatable, as for a long time everyone thought Es shouldn't have it, but some Es do. The shield leg is the main ID point, and these guys don't have it.) Es aren't found past Easter Island so it's the wrong part of the world, and that color blue is exceptionally rare in that species. Aussies aren't known to exist that far North, and with the lack of color other than blue it's unlikely it is that species.
good analysis, so how about this one (pic no 4 on 1st page) they are similar but with a different color
and until now I can't get another one like them
5 perlatus
15 brevimanus