Sow bugs/pill bugs/ Rollie pollies?

For topics relating to crab care that do not fit into the other categories.

Topic author
Spags

Sow bugs/pill bugs/ Rollie pollies?

Post by Spags » Tue Mar 03, 2015 10:53 pm

After doing a plethora of research on my nemesis, the house centipede, I discovered the cute little distant relative, the sow bug. They are said to be great tank m8's with Hermes and good tank maids as well. But I am sorta nervous to add some in my tank, as I am not totally sure what to think. PLEASE HELP ME
Who needs ductape when we have Eco-Earth?

YYWW

Re: Sow bugs/pill bugs/ Rollie pollies?

Post by YYWW » Tue Mar 03, 2015 11:48 pm

Do it Just make sure you don't put any blue ones in!
They are isopods, and are crustaceans, just like hermit crabs. They also molt! Crabs will also eat them. They probably provide a lot of nutrition.
Get a container and throw some leaf litter in it, as well as some random stuff you would feed your crabs. Catch a buncha isopods and let them make babies. Then, when you have like 30 babies, put all the babies in They prefer the same conditions as your crabs, so no extra work needed!

Crabbers unite!!!

Topic author
Spags

Post by Spags » Wed Mar 04, 2015 12:21 pm

YYWW wrote:Do it Image Just make sure you don't put any blue ones in!
They are isopods, and are crustaceans, just like hermit crabs. They also molt! Crabs will also eat them. They probably provide a lot of nutrition.
Get a container and throw some leaf litter in it, as well as some random stuff you would feed your crabs. Catch a buncha isopods and let them make babies. Then, when you have like 30 babies, put all the babies in Image They prefer the same conditions as your crabs, so no extra work needed!

Crabbers unite!!!

Thanks so much :3 but what is the problem with the blue ones?

YYWW

Post by YYWW » Wed Mar 04, 2015 12:57 pm

Its a bad crustacean virus, and can spread to crabs

Crabbers unite!!!

Topic author
Spags

Post by Spags » Wed Mar 04, 2015 1:16 pm

thanks

GiraffeFeeder

Post by GiraffeFeeder » Thu Mar 05, 2015 9:16 am

You know I tried this in the fall.... It was so fun! But I ran in to a problem each time I introduced about 10 rollie pollies... They would disappear! There were a couple of times I saw one go underground. But when it came time to change 6-8 inches of sand I didn't know what to do! Any thoughts on where they went and how to handle this? I'd love to keep them again when the weather warms, but there's no way I'm sifting through all that sand each time I change substrate. :shock: :? What do you think?

Topic author
Spags

Post by Spags » Thu Mar 05, 2015 9:47 am

GiraffeFeeder wrote:You know I tried this in the fall.... It was so fun! But I ran in to a problem each time I introduced about 10 rollie pollies... They would disappear! There were a couple of times I saw one go underground. But when it came time to change 6-8 inches of sand I didn't know what to do! Any thoughts on where they went and how to handle this? I'd love to keep them again when the weather warms, but there's no way I'm sifting through all that sand each time I change substrate. :shock: :? What do you think?
I am going to consider getting some when the weather gets better. And I think you should get some too. But after doing my research, you should consider using Eco- Earth or a mixture of Eco and sand. Hope it works out for you :D

YYWW

Post by YYWW » Thu Mar 05, 2015 10:15 am

You need to provide a place they can hide in to get away from the crabs. A pile of sticks and leaves or a log might work. Cholla is great because crabs cant get in.

Crabbers unite!!!

GiraffeFeeder

Post by GiraffeFeeder » Fri Mar 06, 2015 12:24 pm

Just ordered some cholla yesterday. After the snow clears I'm going to try again! :)

CallaLily

Post by CallaLily » Fri Mar 06, 2015 12:32 pm

Just wanted to share this article in case it was missed. :D
viewtopic.php?f=26&t=92538

Gail

Post by Gail » Fri Mar 06, 2015 3:03 pm

I've always wanted to keep pill bugs but never had any reason to, now I have an excuse :) Its still cold here with snow in a few places & freezing temps at night but I was able to find a few pills under a flower pot on the warm side of the house.
2 PP's

Asheka

Post by Asheka » Tue Mar 10, 2015 10:20 pm

I was seeing these guys and was wondering the same on safety. Can you buy them though? I haven't actually seen one in person myself LOL
4 cats. 1 Dwarf African Frog. 1 amazing fiance. Four PPs; Peeta, Finnick, Katniss, and Rue.
Don't Hate What You Don't Understand PRIDE!
http://crabtaztic.blogspot.ca
Turning the gross and scary cute and merry at PlayfulDead Creationz