New here

Please post here if you are a new crab owner and someone will be along shortly to welcome you to the HCA! This is also the place to welcome new crabbies to your clan!

Topic author
behnk99k

New here

Post by behnk99k » Thu Jul 09, 2015 3:12 pm

My boys each "won" a hermit crab at the fair, now I'm a bit obsessedImage one has died, and we got 3 from Petco. Total of 4(the other from carnival is possibly molting) they are in a 36x18x12 Exo terra(our beardie outgrew it) I think it's set up properly, here are some pics..ImageImageImage. Let me know what you all think, I'm still learning..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Topic author
behnk99k

Re: New here

Post by behnk99k » Thu Jul 09, 2015 3:21 pm

I should probably add- substrate is play sand & coco fiber mix. Cool side is @74 warm side @80 humidity ranges from 78-90...there is a moss pit on left wall. I put plexi glass over the top screen where there are no lights. There is a UVB strip & I use day time and moonlight bulb. Have digital thermometer & hygrometer on right, and the cheaper kind on left...

KellyCrabbieLove

Post by KellyCrabbieLove » Fri Jul 10, 2015 1:46 am

How deep is your substrate?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
#1 rule of crabbing - crabs are weird.
#2 rule of crabbing - see above

CallaLily

Post by CallaLily » Fri Jul 10, 2015 7:04 am

Looks like a good start. What sizes are your crabs? For smaller crabs, it's generally recommended to have a minimum of 6 inches of substrate. As they grow they'll need more, with large crabs requiring a minimum of 8 inches and Jumbos needing 12 inches. This ensures their tunnels are stable and keeps them safer from other crabs while molting.

Size chart can be found here:

viewtopic.php?f=26&t=92541

Topic author
behnk99k

New here

Post by behnk99k » Fri Jul 10, 2015 7:52 am

It is as high as I can get it with the front opening doors. @4 inches...it's a bit higher in the back. 2 are big, 2are medium.Not sure what they would be considered. I got some pics last night 3 were all finally out and aboutImage not sure why my bigger guys choose the biggest clunkier shells...looks uncomfortable ImageImageImageImage

CallaLily

Post by CallaLily » Fri Jul 10, 2015 10:10 am

It's hard to say for sure without them next to something I'm completely sure of the size of, but it looks like those pictured are around medium sized.

It definitely can be a challenge getting deeper substrate in exo terra tanks. Those with taller ones usually put a bit of plexiglass (or similar) up to allow deeper substrate. With a 12" tall one though, you're kind of limited there.

I have a 36x18x18 exo terra and after much struggle with molting issues, I borrowed another crabber's idea (shout out to Kuza!) of busting out the bottom and using it as a topper for a 40 breeder aquarium. This way they have tons of height for climbing and still have 12 inches of substrate. Others have simply flipped their exo terra upside down on top of another tank, but I find the longer ones too weak along the top front above the doors to do this. A few disagree with me there so just something to think about. :)

Topic author
behnk99k

Post by behnk99k » Fri Jul 10, 2015 6:52 pm

That's a great idea, my hubby has put the "foot" down on me spending any more money for a while between our beardie & these guys....don't even want to add it up I believe in spoiling all our animals, dog & cat included!

ashleyandanimals

Post by ashleyandanimals » Fri Jul 10, 2015 10:22 pm

CallaLily wrote:It's hard to say for sure without them next to something I'm completely sure of the size of, but it looks like those pictured are around medium sized.

It definitely can be a challenge getting deeper substrate in exo terra tanks. Those with taller ones usually put a bit of plexiglass (or similar) up to allow deeper substrate. With a 12" tall one though, you're kind of limited there.

I have a 36x18x18 exo terra and after much struggle with molting issues, I borrowed another crabber's idea (shout out to Kuza!) of busting out the bottom and using it as a topper for a 40 breeder aquarium. This way they have tons of height for climbing and still have 12 inches of substrate. Others have simply flipped their exo terra upside down on top of another tank, but I find the longer ones too weak along the top front above the doors to do this. A few disagree with me there so just something to think about. :)

Currently doing exactly this with a 36x18x18 on top of a forty breeder! Do you have links to any posts you or the other crabber made of this project? Or just any pictures to share with me??? :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I do my best to spoil all of my pets! :)

CallaLily

Post by CallaLily » Sat Jul 11, 2015 7:53 am

Sure. :)

Here's Kuza's thread about his set up: http://hermitcrabassociation.com/phpBB/ ... om#p890823

And here's one of mine. There's should be a couple older threads out there too. I'm not sure why the pics in the beginning of the thread are broken but that last pic is pretty close to how it looks now.

http://hermitcrabassociation.com/phpBB/ ... s&start=30

I first set it up in January 2014 and love it still. :)

Edit: found a more recent pic though it doesn't show the full tank.

Topic author
behnk99k

Post by behnk99k » Sat Jul 11, 2015 11:29 am

Breaking out the bottom glass is kinda scary, how do you attach the two tanks? Or do you count on weight to hold in place? Sorry for the ?'s, you got my brain going....hubby will not be happy!! People have had success with just flipping the exo terra upside down? Having a hard time finding info

ashleyandanimals

Post by ashleyandanimals » Sat Jul 11, 2015 11:30 am

Thank you Calla! :)

CallaLily

Post by CallaLily » Sat Jul 11, 2015 11:34 am

Yes, but as far as I know it's only been those with shorter (less length) exo terras. Mine is pretty weak along the front top, especially when the doors are open.

Breaking the glass was pretty scary for me too. I made me husband do it after scraping off most of the silicone. I believe someone on here worked long enough on the silicone they were able to just remove the whole piece of glass, intact.

Mine (and I believe Kuza's too) is secured with heavy duty Velcro. It holds really well. I actually had a little difficulty removing it the one time I've pulled the top tank off. Then I put electrical tape around the outside just to be sure to seal off the crack from any drafts (the vent is also covered).

Edit to add that I also had my husband cut down the "legs" on the bottom to level it out.

CallaLily

Post by CallaLily » Sat Jul 11, 2015 11:38 am

behnk99k wrote: People have had success with just flipping the exo terra upside down? Having a hard time finding infoImage
Check out this thread: http://hermitcrabassociation.com/phpBB/ ... ra#p953048

ashleyandanimals

Post by ashleyandanimals » Sat Jul 11, 2015 11:42 am

I (24 year old female here!) was able to remove the entire bottom of a 36x18 in one intact piece minus one chip on a corner by scraping silicone and using a hair dryer to help soften it. Took a LONG time, an entire evening. Also that glass is HEAVY! Be careful!

CallaLily

Post by CallaLily » Sat Jul 11, 2015 11:46 am

ashleyandanimals wrote:I (24 year old female here!) was able to remove the entire bottom of a 36x18 in one intact piece minus one chip on a corner by scraping silicone and using a hair dryer to help soften it. Took a LONG time, an entire evening. Also that glass is HEAVY! Be careful!
I knew I read it somewhere, just couldn't remember who. Great job! I know how patient you must be. Removing that silicone was a pain and I didn't even get it all!