Question regarding new set up

Where we discuss the behavior of our hermit crabs, as in fights, pecking orders, shell swaps, etc. Please post all naked-crab posts in the Emergency forum.

Topic author
behnk99k

Question regarding new set up

Post by behnk99k » Thu Jul 16, 2015 8:50 am

I recently revamped my crabitat, I noticed last night that they aren't really climbing, and haven't found there new "shell shop" here's a pic, the shell shop is on the left 2 corner shelves. I'm wondering if I went overboard. They haven't been to the moss pit eitherImage I was so excited to watch them..ImageImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CallaLily

Re: Question regarding new set up

Post by CallaLily » Thu Jul 16, 2015 9:22 am

It'll just take them time to find them and adjust to the change. When I first moved this group I have into the 40B with exoterra topper, activity was almost zero. Now they're all over the place, day and night. They'll find them. Don't worry. :)

Topic author
behnk99k

Post by behnk99k » Thu Jul 16, 2015 12:06 pm

Thank-you, this is just as stressful as when we got our bearded dragon! I also had a bit of a problem w/ my temps, wasn't getting past 74 during the day, since it's a much larger area. Was using a 40watt daytime bulb & 25 moonlight bulb both from exo terra. Went and got a 60 watt daytime & 40 watt moonlight. Hopefully these will get the temps up& bring my humidity down...it's been constant 99%, that's too high? Right? I also ended up getting 2 more crabs! These two are mine! So each of my boys(2) and me each have 2 they are awfully addictive, but 6 will be it, don't want to overcrowd.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

meg_and_the_zoo

Post by meg_and_the_zoo » Thu Jul 16, 2015 12:30 pm

From what I've read the humidity can be as high as you want/get without being harmful to the crabs but higher humidity can promote more/faster mood growth on food, wood, etc in the tank.

Zoo mom of 3 cats, a dog, a fish and 6 crabs

megmaholm

Post by megmaholm » Thu Jul 16, 2015 6:19 pm

Yep, high humidity is fine. I'd also suggest calibrating your hygrometer just to make sure the reading is accurate :) If the bulbs don't help to get your temps up enough, you may want to look into supplementing with an UTH like an Ultratherm.

Your crabitat looks great! Looks like they have plenty of hiding spots. And congrats on the 2 new additions. They're very addictive. :lol:
Crabbing since July 2014! 75 gallon with 12 Purple Pinchers.