Good crabitat?

Older topics that are in the process of being sorted and moved into the appropriate Archived sections below.

Topic author
Arlo-Duck-Tony

Good crabitat?

Post by Arlo-Duck-Tony » Fri Jul 17, 2015 9:06 pm

Okay, tell us what looks good, and what could be better.

I think we could do better on the water, as some think our shells are too shallow. I have salt in the pink shell, and fresh in the clam shell with the sponge.

I want to provide some climbing fun for them, but don't love the look of plastic craft mesh. Ideas?

Wondering if I really need three hermit hits (coconut) for three crabs. Pulling one or two out would free up some space.

Yes, I know natural shells are preferable to painted, but their 5-year old owner loves the painted. I see a lot of old and healthy crabs in painted shells, so I let it slide.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

soilentgringa

Re: Good crabitat?

Post by soilentgringa » Fri Jul 17, 2015 9:36 pm

Hi,
They need things to climb on and hide behind as well as dishes deep enough to submerge. You can get plastic plants from Dollar Tree or Walmart. We really, really recommend no painted shells. Period. I know your child likes them and it is hard to explain to them sometimes why they aren't good for the crabs, but 1. The paint chips off and they can ingest the paint, which is toxic. 2. They almost always are the wrong shape or shell preference for the crabs. I have never seen a crab stay in a painted shell for very long when offered unpainted, natural shells in the sizes and opening shapes they need. I know several people have had stubborn crabs who didn't switch till after a molt, but they really need the option. You can find shells at Hobby Lobby, JoAnn's or even Ross sometimes. Many people are finding smaller sized turbos at these places for a fraction of what you'd pay online.
Take the sponge out, they do nothing for the humidity and don't really benefit anything. The kind of bacteria that you don't want will grow on them as well.
Here are some links to the care guides:

viewtopic.php?t=46102

viewtopic.php?t=92557

viewtopic.php?t=92457

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

CallaLily

Post by CallaLily » Sat Jul 18, 2015 8:16 am

Nice deep substrate! Love seeing it. :D

Branches are great for climbing. You can purchase those from the pet store, or collect crabby safe branches from an area where no chemicals are sprayed. And fake plants are great cover/climbs too. You can find really nice ones at craft stores. Also pet stores. Dollar tree plants aren't half bad and of course the price is very nice, especially when you take into account the crabs are very hard on anything you place in the tank.

I agree with Soilentgringa on shells, sponges, and the need for deeper water dishes. I would also suggest locking clips for your lid to prevent escapes, if you don't already have them. They are excellent climbers, even seen climbing the silicone in the corners of the tank, and are strong enough to push most lids up.

pearl29mi

Post by pearl29mi » Sat Jul 18, 2015 9:08 am

Good substrate amount, but callalily and soilentgringa are right. Make sure to have no painted shells. Sponges can carry bacteria so I wouldn't red comment to use them. And I can't tell from the picture but if they are eating commercial hermit crab food it's best to stay away from that and feed them some fresh foods there is a list in the "care sheets, guides, and frequently asked questions" forum of foods they can eat if you want to check it out :)
6 Caribbean Hermies~ Liberty|Spike|Freddie|Pinchers|Pip|

Topic author
Arlo-Duck-Tony

Post by Arlo-Duck-Tony » Sat Jul 18, 2015 7:22 pm

Thanks! Good info. Sponges are out, and ordering some natural shells tonight. Where can I get lid clips? Never heard of them!

CrabbyEmerson

Post by CrabbyEmerson » Sat Jul 18, 2015 7:57 pm

Arlo-Duck-Tony wrote:Thanks! Good info. Sponges are out, and ordering some natural shells tonight. Where can I get lid clips? Never heard of them!

Petco and Petsmart sell lid clips in the reptile section. Or you can check online on Amazon or eBay.

Kleinerhejhog

Post by Kleinerhejhog » Sun Jul 19, 2015 12:44 am

I had gotten some at PetSmart, but my mesh lid came from I don't have a clue where. They ended up being incompatible. So I got a glass lid instead, and keep a brick on it.

Topic author
Arlo-Duck-Tony

Good crabitat?

Post by Arlo-Duck-Tony » Sun Jul 19, 2015 7:51 am

Glass and bricks? Sounds risky. Aside from the obvious risk, do you worry about air circulation?

Kleinerhejhog

Post by Kleinerhejhog » Sun Jul 19, 2015 3:20 pm

If anybody but me was fooling with them, I might think twice about the bricks. I did wrap them in paper to prevent scratching the glass.

I do something in there every day, change food, water, pick up what they knock over, something, so the lids get opened daily. Plus, one side has a replacement lid which doesn't fit perfectly, so there's a little gap all around that one. It is also in my plan to put bubblers in my pools as soon as I upgrade those.

Topic author
Arlo-Duck-Tony

Good crabitat?

Post by Arlo-Duck-Tony » Tue Jul 21, 2015 7:00 am

Got new (deeper) water dishes, large for salt bath, small for fresh. Probably could have gone small on both, for just three crabs. Also, got a large piece of cork bark, that covers half the back wall of the tank, and they seem to love climbing that. The shells at that pet store were all glow in the dark, or conch shells with a narrow slit opening (how can a crab use that?), so we passed on the shells. Oh, also got a pair of lid clips!

Topic author
Arlo-Duck-Tony

Post by Arlo-Duck-Tony » Thu Jul 23, 2015 8:25 pm

Better photos. We're waiting on delivery of natural shells, and think we should look for more climbing stuff next.

Their 5-year old owner spends every night watching hermit crab videos, and is really into this, despite his own crabs only coming out when he is sleeping.

Topic author
Arlo-Duck-Tony

Post by Arlo-Duck-Tony » Sat Jul 25, 2015 9:05 pm

Obtained and boiled a nice assortment of natural shells.

lauraroberson

Post by lauraroberson » Mon Oct 05, 2015 9:19 pm

Love seeing a new crabber trying to do the best for them :clap:

Was wondering what your humidity/temp gauge says the levels are at?

If the levels are too low there are some things you can do to help that..
Get a under tank heater (if you don't already have one, I just didn't see one in the photos), but do not place it under the tank, it should be placed on the back side above the substrate level.
For humidity you can get and air bubbler and place it in the fresh water dish, and/or mist the tank everyday to bring up the humidity.

Hope some of that helps! Happy Crabbing!
7 PPs & 2 Es
75 gal tank + multiple smaller ones range from 20-5gals
Crabbing for 2+ years
Addicted and loving it!

Laurie LeAnn

Post by Laurie LeAnn » Tue Oct 06, 2015 1:19 am

Glad you are fixing and trying to do better..I have glass lids on my tanks and a large / jumbo crab..He has never got the lid open. They are heavier than plastic. I don't think you need a brick..Lol! I also just have a slight opening where the lid doesn't fit the tank tightly and its enough air flow and keeps my temps and humidity in check. You might like silk plants better from a dollar tree, crabs sometimes tend to eat the plastic. Just don't get ones that have things like pollen, small looking parts that can come off..crabs might eat them to.. fish tank decorations can be used to.

KellyCrabbieLove

Post by KellyCrabbieLove » Tue Oct 06, 2015 6:36 am

I bought custom glass lids that are super heavy since I have jumbos. They have tried but it is just too heavy to lift.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
#1 rule of crabbing - crabs are weird.
#2 rule of crabbing - see above