Springtails?

For the discussion of any creepy crawlies that may have taken up residence in your tank, including mites. Please note that isopods have their own forum.

Topic author
amwilliams

Springtails?

Post by amwilliams » Sun Dec 11, 2016 10:12 pm

So I have been working on boosting heat and humidity and I saw in the condensation on the inside of the tank some little trails that are very winding. Upon very close inspection, they appear to be white little guys with two visible antennae.

Now in the What's that Bug in my Crabitat? post, I see they are harmless, but should I be doing something to manage them? It's looking like I have a lot and should I be concerned about them trying to get out of the tank and into my apartment?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GabyRaven

Re: Springtails?

Post by GabyRaven » Sun Dec 11, 2016 10:16 pm

I also wonder about population control lol, awaiting a more experienced crabber's take right there with you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Springtails?

Post by aussieJJDude » Mon Dec 12, 2016 2:02 am

Many reptile and froggers use them in their habitats as a "clean up crew". Their population is "self sustaining", the more "waste" you have, the larger the population. :) i personally wouldn't worry about getting into your house, they normally like humid environments... So there is not fear they will get to the rest of your apartment. If they did escape, most likely they would die anyway. :)
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies