I forgot about the instability

For topics relating to crab care that do not fit into the other categories.

Topic author
Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Sat Oct 27, 2018 6:39 pm

I had a 40 gal and upgraded to a 90. I was told that the bigger tanks are more stable, heatwise. But I wanted more crabs and set up my 40 gal again. All's been fine and dandy. Until it got cold. I've been having trouble keeping the temp over 77 deg. Then I remembered how much trouble I had last winter. Ugh!
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

ciaraalston

Re: I forgot about the instability

Post by ciaraalston » Sat Oct 27, 2018 8:33 pm

Uh oh! Hopefully you're able to insulate and get some stable.conditions! congrats on upgrading

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
4 purple pinchers & 2 ecuadorians living a life of luxury in south west Louisiana.
Follow my hermit crab learning journey on instagram! @hermitcrabs_in_the_boot

Topic author
Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Sat Oct 27, 2018 8:42 pm

ciaraalston wrote:Uh oh! Hopefully you're able to insulate and get some stable.conditions! congrats on upgrading Image

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
Thank you. I upgraded in January. Lol. The 40 has an Ultratherm and cardboard on top of it.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:22 am

Do aluminum foil - shiny side facing the crabitat and then cardboard. :) That will help!
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Topic author
Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:30 am

GotButterflies wrote:Do aluminum foil - shiny side facing the crabitat and then cardboard. :) That will help!
Thank you!

Hermie escape artist

Post by Hermie escape artist » Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:50 am

Hermiesguardian wrote:
GotButterflies wrote:Do aluminum foil - shiny side facing the crabitat and then cardboard. :) That will help!
Thank you!
So aluminum foil then cardboard ... ? Wondering the order ?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Hermie escape artist

Post by Hermie escape artist » Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:52 am

My crabbie actually stays away from the heat ...thought it be the other way around ... I moved his fav wood closer to the heat.. and he actually got off of it and he is always on the wood ! Always ! Unless he is roaming around to eat or dig ... he started digging in the new sand

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:57 am

Yes - heater, then aluminum foil - shiny side facing the crabitat, then cardboard or styrofoam. Repeat with aluminum foil if necessary. Or - you can use a product called Reflectix. It looks like a car shade. Hang it all with duct tape, packaging tape or reflectix tape. I personally use reflectix because you can cut it to your tank size and use it year after year. :) I store it in the closet. Works great. A roll of it is around $14 (or cheaper in some areas - at Lowe's/Home Depot/ Amazon) and you get more than enough.

Edit: If you have an Alicco, or Zoomed - you have to insulate AROUND them. They are already insulated.
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

RiNiKy506

Post by RiNiKy506 » Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:10 am

GotButterflies wrote:Yes - heater, then aluminum foil - shiny side facing the crabitat, then cardboard or styrofoam. Repeat with aluminum foil if necessary. Or - you can use a product called Reflectix. It looks like a car shade. Hang it all with duct tape, packaging tape or reflectix tape. I personally use reflectix because you can cut it to your tank size and use it year after year. :) I store it in the closet. Works great. A roll of it is around $14 (or cheaper in some areas - at Lowe's/Home Depot/ Amazon) and you get more than enough.

Edit: If you have an Alicco, or Zoomed - you have to insulate AROUND them. They are already insulated.
Is Reflectix an insulation? I still haven’t insulated my tank, just have a towel on the back. I was going to get the poly pro insulation board but it’s too big to fit in my car so I haven’t yet. Tank temp has been ok at 77, but I definitely need to get it insulated before it ends up freezing outside, plus I’d like to get my temp up to 80 and keep it there.

@Hermiesguardian did you get your tank stabilized?

♡ Rod ♡ Salty ♡ Bob ♡ Squirt ♡ Crabina ♡
»-♡-> Our Purple Pinchers »-♡->

Topic author
Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:15 am

RiNiKy506 wrote:
GotButterflies wrote:Yes - heater, then aluminum foil - shiny side facing the crabitat, then cardboard or styrofoam. Repeat with aluminum foil if necessary. Or - you can use a product called Reflectix. It looks like a car shade. Hang it all with duct tape, packaging tape or reflectix tape. I personally use reflectix because you can cut it to your tank size and use it year after year. :) I store it in the closet. Works great. A roll of it is around $14 (or cheaper in some areas - at Lowe's/Home Depot/ Amazon) and you get more than enough.

Is Reflectix an insulation? I still haven’t insulated my tank, just have a towel on the back. I was going to get the poly pro insulation board but it’s too big to fit in my car so I haven’t yet. Tank temp has been ok at 77, but I definitely need to get it insulated before it ends up freezing outside, plus I’d like to get my temp up to 80 and keep it there.

@Hermiesguardian did you get your tank stabilized?

♡ Rod ♡ Salty ♡ Bob ♡ Squirt ♡ Crabina ♡
»-♡-> Our Purple Pinchers »-♡->
It seems to stay at 77 but I'd like it warmer. I do have reflexit so I'll switch to that. It's possible that's what I used last winter and just forgot. Because I have the cardboard already cut to size so I put that on.

Hermie escape artist

Post by Hermie escape artist » Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:32 am

Is the reflective tape just tape ? Or does that plug in ?? I know there is like heat tape !?? And THANKS OK !!!

PinchersAndShells

Post by PinchersAndShells » Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:58 am

Hermie escape artist wrote:

Is the reflective tape just tape ? Or does that plug in ?? I know there is like heat tape !?? And THANKS OK !!!

Reflectix tape is just regular tape. Reflectix insulation comes in big rolls. Heat tape is different.

Sent from my SM-J327V using Tapatalk
4 PPs + 1 E = Dusty, Momo, Merle, Seasalt, & Elvis
2 Captive Bred PPs = Randy & Roxie
75 Gallon Crabitat | Crabbing Since 8.11.2015
https://www.instagram.com/pinchersandshells/

Hermie escape artist

Post by Hermie escape artist » Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:06 am

PinchersAndShells wrote:
Hermie escape artist wrote:

Reflectix tape is just regular tape. Reflectix insulation comes in big rolls. Heat tape is different.

Sent from my SM-J327V using Tapatalk
K !