Painted Shell is Chipped

This is where you discuss shells for your hermit crabs. Not for selling/swapping shells, use Classified Ads for that.

Topic author
BlueCrabAve

Painted Shell is Chipped

Post by BlueCrabAve » Sat Dec 15, 2018 9:20 am

Our small pp blueberry went down for his second molt wearing a painted shell (one of our other crabs vacated the original pet store shell and blueberry immediately took possession before we could remove it). When he came up on Thursday after about a month, he was still wearing the painted shell. Now the front of it is chipped- the shell itself is missing a small piece and the paint on top has a chip. We have plenty of available extra shells in several sizes. I am worried that the crab has been harmed by the paint from the shell. Anything I can do for him? Any advice for coaxing him out of it or is the damage done? Should I get more shells?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Motörcrab

Re: Painted Shell is Chipped

Post by Motörcrab » Sat Dec 15, 2018 9:28 am

Sometimes soaking shells in saltwater makes them more appealing. I usually leave a little water inside. Just use your standard mix for their pool. If that fails you can always try getting some new shells too.

Unfortunately crabs will only change into what and when they want to. We can only give them options.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Coenobita Curiosities offering crabby decor
https://www.etsy.com/shop/CoenobitaCuriosities

Topic author
BlueCrabAve

Post by BlueCrabAve » Sat Dec 15, 2018 9:37 am

Great idea! I’ll roll the shells around in saltwater. I actually did that with one of my larger shells because we got a new PP from petsmart on 11/26 that was in zero substrate dragging around a huge thick shell. He immediately switched to a lighter turbo and was in that until this am- showed back up from a couple of days under the sand in the giant shell again. I took two shells his size and soaked them- I can’t imagine that huge shell is easy to move but I suppose if he likes it he can stay! Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

scuttlecrusty22

Post by scuttlecrusty22 » Mon Feb 04, 2019 1:15 pm

I am also having trouble with my biggest crab wanting to change shells😬When he sucks into his shell his legs still stick out whereas my smaller crab sucks completely into his shell. I will try soaking the available shells in salt Water to see if he changes soon👍😉
(Scuttle, Crusty) crabs, (Buster,Ruby) chihuahuas, (Bugs) goat, (Echo) betta fish (Skittles,Sky) parakeets

John 3:16 "For God so loved the world, he gave his only begotten son that whosoever believeth in him should not perish but have everlasting life"

teachincrabbie

Post by teachincrabbie » Mon Feb 04, 2019 2:14 pm

scuttlecrusty22 wrote:
Mon Feb 04, 2019 1:15 pm
I am also having trouble with my biggest crab wanting to change shells😬When he sucks into his shell his legs still stick out whereas my smaller crab sucks completely into his shell. I will try soaking the available shells in salt Water to see if he changes soon👍😉
Me too! He changed once into a bigger shell then the painted one he came in. But it wasn't much bigger and his little legs stick out. I have at least 3 shells that would fit him in the tank. I keep just washing them and sticking them near him in hopes he will change (that is how I got him to change last time).

Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Mon Feb 04, 2019 7:24 pm

Crabs are very picky. I read someplace that when they are looking at shells they are inspecting the inside so be sure it will suit them. When they roll the shell around they are determining the weight. So they are looking for a perfect balance between size and weight that will be best for them. I'm thinking that why they can be so picky even though they appear to be identical to us the shell may be too heavy for what they determine would be ideal. Or it is the right weight but not enough room.

I find it annoying with having to buy larger shells that "should" work for them but have no interest in. Especially when you have larger picky crabs and shells are in the $6-$20 range. Having an assortment can get pricey quick!
Coenobita Curiosities offering crabby decor
https://www.etsy.com/shop/CoenobitaCuriosities

angelbearpuppy

Post by angelbearpuppy » Tue Feb 26, 2019 1:05 pm

Motörcrab wrote:
Mon Feb 04, 2019 7:24 pm
Crabs are very picky. I read someplace that when they are looking at shells they are inspecting the inside so be sure it will suit them. When they roll the shell around they are determining the weight. So they are looking for a perfect balance between size and weight that will be best for them. I'm thinking that why they can be so picky even though they appear to be identical to us the shell may be too heavy for what they determine would be ideal. Or it is the right weight but not enough room.

I find it annoying with having to buy larger shells that "should" work for them but have no interest in. Especially when you have larger picky crabs and shells are in the $6-$20 range. Having an assortment can get pricey quick!
I know that feeling. I have watched my largest change its shell three times in one day, only to end up back in the shell he started with.....
I have owned Hermit Crabs for 2 Years

I have 1 E named Monkey and 2 PP named Shy Guy and Little P

I also own 1 PP named Dory who stays in my classroom