tank question

For presenting do-it-yourself projects for your crabitat and for discussing and displaying custom built crabitats. Also for questions and reviews on equipment and products. *Stores and their reviews now have their own section in Classifieds*

Topic author
Lazerdms

tank question

Post by Lazerdms » Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:38 pm

what's the best way to clean a used tank and is there any ones I need to stay away from with what lived in them

Kt Kat

Re: tank question

Post by Kt Kat » Wed Feb 06, 2019 1:16 am

I cleaned out a really gross saltwater sump tank with a razor blade and vinegar (and lots of scrubbing)

Make sure its a glass tank, not acrylic before you use a blade on it, though! And absolutely no chemicals no matter what, only vinegar and water. You can do it!

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:23 am

Dish soap and water is fine for cleaning out a used tank, just rinse well. I usually use cleaning ammonia (outside!) because it does a great job and sanitizes.

I've also used bleach on funky ones to sterilize.

Razor blades for bad glass is a must. If a razor doesn't work, nothing will. Don't use scrubby pads or you risk scratching the glass. Ruined a good tank that way!
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

angelbearpuppy

Post by angelbearpuppy » Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:45 pm

Ive done soap and water on a old fresh water fish tank. Rinsed really well, and then did a weak bleach solution to sterilize the inside. Then rinsed and rinsed and rinsed some more until I couldn't smell anything. Filled it up with de-chlorinated water and let sit overnight as a precaution. One more rinse and dry then used it. My crabs never seemed affected.
I have owned Hermit Crabs for 2 Years

I have 1 E named Monkey and 2 PP named Shy Guy and Little P

I also own 1 PP named Dory who stays in my classroom