Struggling with heat levels

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author
JenniferRallison

Struggling with heat levels

Post by JenniferRallison » Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:52 am

We just recently upgraded to a 55 gal for our 3 pp’s. We use dual lamp with 100 watt day and night bulbs inside for heat. We have two glass lids that fit to the tank. I’m struggling to keep the heat up but it never drops below 70. Temps are staying at 70-74 right now. I’ve tried covering the whole top with thick blankets and doing research on how to keep heat in with like insulation/heat tape. I was hoping there is some type of easy fix that I’m overlooking ....? Any suggestions, advice, hacks, tips or tricks to help solve my heat problem as I would like to keep my crabbies very warm!

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Struggling with heat levels

Post by aussieJJDude » Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:17 am

Heat lamps within the tank has to be something you got to keep an eye on. It can go wrong very quickly, especially if the light not in a fitting designed to be within a tank (wire mesh over, attaches well to the lid ect.

Insulating the sides is probably a good idea. It will help retain heat. Styrofoam, cardboard and/or tinfoil (or reflective shields, like used for car windows) would be a good idea.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

Xenocrab

Post by Xenocrab » Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:24 am

Where do you have your UTH located? We put ours on the back of the tank, insulate it and we never have heat or humidity problems. We don't use lamps. They dry out the air and substrate. My 55 is always in the high 80's for heat and humidity.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

6 babies, 4 Es and 15 PPs.

Topic author
JenniferRallison

Post by JenniferRallison » Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:22 am

I don’t have a UTH I want to buy some ultratherms but not sure what size to get and where it’s best to place on the tank. Help?!?

Xenocrab

Post by Xenocrab » Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:30 am

11" X 46" I believe is the size on my 55. We got it from the Bean Farm. We attached it with duct tape, put insulation on that (and the whole back) with duct tape. The regulator is on Amazon.

Xenocrab

Post by Xenocrab » Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:48 am

Always place the UTH on the back, never the bottom. Above the substrate, not where the substrate is. What kind of accurite/ heat and humidity gauge are you using? Also, we have our UTH plugged into a regulator to keep a consistent temp.

DragonsFly

Post by DragonsFly » Thu Sep 05, 2019 4:08 pm

You mention trying to insulate the top, but I'm guessing you are losing a lot of heat from the sides of the tank as well.

Check out your local Lowe's or similar hardware store for mylar "bubble wrap" reflective insulation; they usually sell it in rolls and sheets. I used incandescent lighting for heating my tanks exclusively for a long time; in the winter, it was a struggle to maintain enough heat until I found this mylar insulation; wrapping the back and two sides of the tank was plenty to keep the heat in (and you can still get a full view from the front). If we ever had a long string of extremely cold temps, I had enough extra to wrap the front as well.

The shiny surface reflects the heat back into the tank, and the trapped air in the "bubbles" slows the rate of heat transfer as well.
--{}: Dragons Fly Farm --{}:
Resident PP's:"Major Tom" & "Billie Jean"

“An adventure is only an inconvenience rightly considered. An inconvenience is only an adventure wrongly considered.”
― G.K. Chesterton

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Thu Sep 05, 2019 5:44 pm

Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com