Lots of bugs!

For the discussion of any creepy crawlies that may have taken up residence in your tank, including mites. Please note that isopods have their own forum.

Topic author
Janowsk3

Lots of bugs!

Post by Janowsk3 » Thu Sep 05, 2019 10:08 pm

Can anyone help identify these and the best route to get rid of them. They exist under pretty much any object in the sand, I don't see them on anything that's exposed just under bowls, shells etc. They are really tiny but move fairly fast.

Video to help

https://youtu.be/_iKDIB-j_5s

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Re: Lots of bugs!

Post by wodesorel » Fri Sep 06, 2019 4:54 am

There are a few things the could be, all harmless. Can you get a photo that's clearer? It could be my phone, but they weren't coming into focus in the video so I'm having trouble determining exact details to pin it down.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

purplepincher

Post by purplepincher » Fri Sep 20, 2019 2:05 pm

i have those too, they are just springtails. they are harmless.
I love my little Acorn! #besthermitcrabever
I also Love Jesus! My favorite food is doughnuts, my favorite drink is orange soda,
and my favorite color is gold! (I like shiny things)

I am also a Die hard Lego fan!

CrabbyLover77

Post by CrabbyLover77 » Fri Sep 20, 2019 7:28 pm

Not sure what they are, but I had them around the food dishes when I first started crabbing a few years back. I got rid of them by changing all of my substrate and soaking all of their bowls/toys/shells in boiling water. I did this a couple of times within 6 months. I don't change their substrate anymore, but I still soak all of their stuff every 3 months or so in boiling water. I've never had a bug problem since. I know they may be harmless, but the little things give me the heebie jeebies lol.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

My Pets: 2 Pomeranians, 1 Russian tortoise, fishes/snails(40 gal freshwater aquarium), and 13 hermit crabs.
"Hunting is not a sport. In a sport, both sides should know they're in the game." -Paul Rodriguez-
https://www.etsy.com/shop/BigBeausBouti ... form-mcnav